Author Topic: new guest gallery  (Read 6638 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
new guest gallery
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:15:40 PM »
Please take some time to look at the excellent holga and pinhole pictures/ alt process prints by Carl Radford in the new filmwasters Guest Gallery -  they are pretty amazing. :)
L.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Re: new guest gallery
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 10:45:37 AM »
amazing indeed, especially like the self portrait and the pool shot.

very cool.

can someone give me the heads up (in laymans terms) of the alt processes used?  look very cool i think.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:53:54 PM »
The platinium/palladium process has been used - using a standard kit from Bostick & Sulliven in the USA. I do not use ferric oxalate solution 2 as a contrast agent on advice from Kerik Kouklis and I will start addingpotasium dichromate to the developer having seperate developers for different contrast ratios. As such, at the moment, I do not adjust the contrast and I have some negs that would benefit from it. Have a look at the website of Kerik Kouklis or Dick Arentz for more info. It is not as difficult - nor expensive - as some would like you to believe but something that you need to spend time to master. Try cyanotyes first - ridiculouly check and great fun - look at Mike Wares site and John Brewer is another - make great T-Shirts for the kids, duvet covers or even curtians etc etc.

All the best, Carl

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 01:52:55 PM »
Have not done platinum/palladium yet but I have done salt prints, van dyke browns and cyanotypes. I like the cyanotypes best- mostly because they are very versatile with toning, non toxic and cheap. You can tone with household items such as borax and tea. Very simple to do. Also just discovered precoated sunprint(cyanotype) paper. It was only $5 for an envelope of 20 sheets although the paper is very thin.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 05:34:56 PM »
His Ollie shot does it for me...I just dig work like that...ghostly, apparition like. Really fine work and another super great guest gallery.
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 06:54:22 PM »
His Ollie shot does it for me...I just dig work like that...ghostly, apparition like. Really fine work and another super great guest gallery.

This is a 5x4 zero image pinhole shot. Set-up as he went to bed and finished when he got up. He was quite excited by the camera taking a picture allllllll night eve in the dark that he got up and put the light on a couple of time to see if it was alright. He can be seen checking a little pot - in it was a milk tooth and he kept checking to see if the tooth fairy had been! Ollie loves the image and I have to make one in his room when we visit at Easter. I am going to turn his room into a camera obscura - that'll really fire his imagination. He is pretty good at collecting leaves and feathers etc to make cyanotypes!

All the best, Carl

your_waitress

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »
excellent set! i can't wait to do some pinholes again. thanks for the inspiration carl. chatelherault-bench is my favorite. just stunning!

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 10:38:34 PM »
Great stuff Carl!
Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 11:00:11 PM »
Agreed.  I'm loving your set here.  I'm also into alt processes and 4x5 at the moment.  (And I love pinholes images  :)).

Thank you!

Zoe

• 35mm
    • Zoe Wiseman Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 02:22:21 AM »
nice. very ghostly. untypical. unique.

Rogerrr

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 02:25:17 AM »
I really like that bridge shot....also like the boats

but the bridge...just love that

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 06:04:49 AM »
I'm really impressed with the entire set, Carl, but 'Ollie' is the one that really blows me away. It's truly wonderful.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com