Author Topic: Pinhole Camera Video  (Read 4278 times)

JoeV

Pinhole Camera Video
« on: December 29, 2014, 05:14:25 AM »
Today I made a video describing four of my pinhole camera designs. Hopefully folks here will find some ideas here worth trying, and improving upon.

~Joe

http://youtu.be/bY5sATO4V1E

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Pinhole Camera Video
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »
Nice. I watched the whole thing. You have some good ideas Joe (and clearly a lot more time than me to tinker).
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 09:28:13 AM »
Brilliant inspirational stuff. Very good of you to share.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 09:36:51 AM »
Some fantastic designs you built there! Very inspirational.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »
Simple ingenious designs Joe, great video.

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 07:51:07 PM »
Really like the mechanism to drop the plates in the falling plate camera, if you were to use say two pins instead of the one, you might find the plates less likely to be dislodged in transit.

The pinhole caps on the last camera are quite ingenious.

Mike

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 08:53:58 PM »
I must admit that I'm impressed by some of them.

Like Mike says, having two pins would make a double security on the system.

I think I'm going to have to take out some of those lunch bodes I made last year and modify them some more...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 03:15:56 AM »
Joe, thanks for sharing the video. Some very creative solutions for multi shot pinhole cameras. I love the simplicity of the dropping plates in the first camera.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 02:40:37 PM »
I got thinking about the plate dropping camera and may have found a solution to the plate disloging problem.
If the plates were somehow attached together at the bottom with some sort of axle, it would be easier to keep them from getting bumped out of their track.
Francois

JoeV

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 02:51:52 PM »
Thank you all for the kind comments. The falling plate camera is the third I've made. The first one is a large wooden box, 8x8 format, that has a dual sliding pin mechanism on both sides rather than the top. I added some curved metal rods at the bottom, that fit into holes punched in the lower corners of the film plates, like a ring binder notebook, that helps to guide the plates as they fall. I think there's room in this camera for such an upgrade.

The other problem, not mentioned in the video, is what happens to the already fallen plates if the camera gets badly jostled. They could (and do) get upset such that they're no longer flat in the bottom of the camera, and can even block the other plates from falling, or interfere with the pinhole's view.

So when transporting the camera, I try to ensure it stays upright. In this camera, the body of the box is very lightweight while the thick plywood base is heavy, giving it a low center of gravity, which helps.

One other thing that I had to edit out of the video (due to the 15 minute YouTube limit) was the hinged wooden base, which gives the camera a variable tilt angle without the need for a tripod, or with use of a homemade tripod that lacks an adjustable head.

~Joe
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:53:46 PM by JoeV »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 10:17:53 PM »
To prevent the fallen plates from moving back up, you could always fit a sort of triangular lock inside on both sides that could be either spring loaded with a weak spring or maybe using a magnet or a counterweight... the plate would fall pressing the long levers to reach the bottom and then the levers would auto-reset acting like a barb to prevent the plates from moving too much... or something like that...
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 03:05:04 AM »
Fascinating stuff! I haven't plunged into the world of DIY pinhole cameras, but if (when?) I do I'd love to try to use some of these ideas!

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 06:53:33 PM »
Joe: the 2x2 brass camera looks fantastic. I also like the final 9-shot woody. Are you planning to show us some of pictures taken with these, please?

Happy new year
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

JoeV

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »
I was running up onto the 15 minute YouTube time limit, else I would have included example images in the video.

Here's a paper negative image made with the 5x8 falling plate camera, at the Sandstone Overlook in the El Malpais National Monument in western New Mexico. The dark terrain below the foreground cliff are miles of lava fields.

58FP_Sandstone_Overlook001a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

Next is a curved filmplane image from the carousel camera:

45CA_Vase001a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

Here's a still-life image, of a pepper mill and newspaper, using APHS ortho lith film in the 2x2 brass plate camera; the film has lots of spots and dirt marks, a fault of my processing:

22BR_Pepper_Grinder002a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

And here's a grid-cam collage image, taken around the village of Placitas near the Sandia Mountains. The central image is of the Sandias (looking into the sun, hence the haze), while the four corner panoramics are looking in four directions from my location in Los Huertas Canyon. The four small images are details in the canyon:

810GRID_Landscape001a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

~Joe

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
Wow Joe, I really like the grid cam. What a great idea and a really nice execution with the landscape photo collage. Thanks for sharing your designs and images.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 10:39:33 AM »
Hi Joe - thank you for putting these up. The grid cam looks wonderful and could work for so many different subjects.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk