Author Topic: Saipan  (Read 5524 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Saipan
« on: December 24, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »
I spent the first two weeks of December working in Saipan, CNMI.  This was the 5th time in Saipan for me, I've been working on a U.S. EPA cleanup of the power plant since 2011.  Saipan is the main island in the U.S. Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the other islands include Rota and Tinian plus several smaller uninhabited islands.  It is in the same island chain as Guam but is a separate U.S. territory than Guam.  It's a beautiful tropical island with a lot of history.  It has been occupied by the Spanish, Germans, Japanese and now the United States.  The U.S. took possession of these islands from the Japanese during WWII.  The natives to the island are the Chamorro and Carolinian.

On this trip I brought my Rolleiflex Automat TLR and several rolls of Kodak Ektar 100.  I also purchased a Fujifilm Underwater QuickSnap disposable camera.  These first photos contain some of the abundant remnants of the WWII battle of Saipan.

These Japanese bunkers are found all over the island.
Japanese Bunkers by bac1967, on Flickr

These next two were taken on the North end of the island at the Japanese Last Command Post where they surrendered at the end of the battle.
Japanese Guns by bac1967, on Flickr

Japanese Tank by bac1967, on Flickr

Many Japanese soldiers and civilians committed suicide rather than be captured by the U.S. military.  This is Suicide Cliff, one of two cliffs that they jumped from, the other being Banzai cliff.
Suicide Cliff by bac1967, on Flickr

Managaha is a small island just off the shore of Saipan.  The Japanese name for it was battleship because it had so many guns that it looked like a battleship from a distance.  Now it's a tourist attraction with its white sandy beaches and warm water.
Banana Boat by bac1967, on Flickr

This is a Japanese Zero lying upside down in about 35 feet of water.  It's in pretty good condition considering it has been there for 70 years.  I shot this with the Fujifilm Underwater QuickSnap.
Japanese Zero by bac1967, on Flickr

This is the Japanese Jail on saipan.  It was built in 1929 and used until the U.S. invasion in 1944.  It is rumored that Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan were held in this jail during the last few months of their lives.
Japanese Jail by bac1967, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Saipan
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 06:27:44 PM »
This is the Commonwealth Utility Corporation (CUC) power plant where I spent most of my time.  It's a diesel power plant that currently powers the entire island. It is located at the site of a Japanese float plane base that later became a CIA base where the U.S. trained dissidents before sending them to China.
CUC Power Plant by bac1967, on Flickr

This ship was grounded during a typhoon years ago and has been sitting there ever since.
Saipan Shipwreck by bac1967, on Flickr

There was a large garment industry on Saipan where they brought Filipino workers over to work for slave wages.  The companies that had clothing made there could say that they were made in the U.S. while they were paying minimal wages.  A story about it appeared on U.S. television which led to the shutdown of the factories when U.S. minimum wage laws were enforced.  This is one of the abandoned factories.
Abandoned Garment Factory by bac1967, on Flickr

There are many different ethnic groups on Saipan.  In addition to the native Chamorro and Carolinian there are many people from the Philippines, Thailand, Japan, China and Russia. 
Trailer and Palms by bac1967, on Flickr

This is the beach behind the power plant.  I believe that structure in the water is a remnant of the Japanese float plane base.
Lower Base Beach by bac1967, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:53:41 PM by BAC1967 »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
It wasn't all work and war.
Joker by bac1967, on Flickr

Managaha Pier by bac1967, on Flickr

Flame Tree by bac1967, on Flickr

Palm Silhouette by bac1967, on Flickr

Latte Stone Shelter by bac1967, on Flickr

Xmas on the Beach by bac1967, on Flickr

Coconut Cart by bac1967, on Flickr

Sorry if I bored you with too many pictures.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »
A really interesting collection of photos from a place I will very likely never have the occasion to visit. The war relics are particularly fascinating; I'm surprised how well they've survived after seven decades in the tropics. Thanks for sharing.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 08:21:06 PM »
Excellent and very interesting set of photos.  I particularly like the grounded boat and the Zero under the water - but they're all fabulous.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »
Definitely didn't bore me with the pictures, and you excited me with the history to boot!

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »
Want to swap jobs! ;D
 A wonderful set of shots of such and inteesting place.

FrankE

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 11:49:21 PM »
great documentary set, fascinating to see. Thanks for sharing

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 05:11:02 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments!  Sorry Irv, no swaps, it's a pretty good job but working in that heat and humidity can be brutal.  I would never have gone to Saipan if it weren't for work, there's plenty of other tropical islands I can get to a lot easier.  Door to door with flights and layovers at airports it usually takes about 24 hours to get to Saipan.  My wife visited me there a few years ago and loved it, who wouldn't love lounging around on the beach having food and drinks delivered.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »
Great set of photos! I like them all. After looking at grey skies and rain for more than 4 weeks over here they are quite pleasing to the eye.  :D

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 11:29:42 PM »
I really like seeing these photographic travelogues that you post.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »
Thanks Manuel and Adam.  I live near Seattle, it can be quite gloomy in the fall and winter, it was a nice break from that to go to Saipan for a few weeks.  When I travel for work I usually get one day off per week.  I spend that time exploring and taking pictures, it works out pretty good for me.  I usually spend 5 to 7 months a year on the road.