Author Topic: 21BC  (Read 2094 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
21BC
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »
Meaning 21mm in Boca Chica, of course.  Went to hang out for a few days in the warm weather with my friend in a new place for me, a beach town near Santo Domingo.  Thought it would be a good place to thoroughly try out my new Cosina Voigtlander 21mm.  Tri-X @1200 in Xtol.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:31:32 AM by hookstrapped »

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Re: 21BC
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »
Really nice set of pictures.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 07:59:44 PM »
Nicely done - I told you you'd like that 21/4. Interesting that you shot all of these in portrait orientation - was that by design?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 12:46:19 AM »
Nicely done - I told you you'd like that 21/4. Interesting that you shot all of these in portrait orientation - was that by design?

Yeah, I'm loving it.  Thanks.

Shooting them all vertically was inspired by this photo from a Japanese photographer (I forget his name but he's famous for his photos of burn victims of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima). It was a street shot, vertical, with the subject in the foreground and the street receding in the background distance.  I was really taken with that photo.  I don't recall having seen anything quite like it.  Then when I did my first tests with the 21, I realized that with a vertical orientation I got as much breadth coverage as a normal horizontal orientation with my 40mm.  So it became a matter of exploiting that extra top and bottom space, seeing what I can do with it and making it relate in interesting ways to a central subject, or placing that subject in that top or bottom space.  Anyway, lots still to explore with the vertical orientation and the 21.  It can appear fairly normal, as with the motoconcho portrait; or kind of subtly bizarre in different ways, like the second and last pics.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 01:52:40 AM »
Interesting. I've shot a few photos with that lens in the vertical orientation, but I never thought about approaching it the way you did. Might have to try that out sometime soon.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:55:49 AM »
Interesting. I've shot a few photos with that lens in the vertical orientation, but I never thought about approaching it the way you did. Might have to try that out sometime soon.

A friend of mine said he gets the feeling from these pics that something is lurking at the edges. It's such a wide lens that so much is in the frame, but at the same time all that visual information carries with it hints and questions about what's not there, beyond the edges of the frame -- at least in some of them. I'm having fun with it, how the compositions have these different characters based on subject distance and angle of shot, things that are exaggerated with a real wide lens.  And I think, for whatever reasons, these things are amplified with a vertical orientation.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 12:10:27 PM »
Then I realize this is all rather cinematic -- the use of wide angle hinting at what's beyond the frame to set up pans or cuts to different frames.  Some of my favorite photographs aren't really still photographs at all, but frames from movies.