Author Topic: Ferrania is trying to kickstart it....  (Read 9389 times)

Peter84

• Peel Apart
Ferrania is trying to kickstart it....
« on: September 30, 2014, 07:10:37 PM »
This month is getting expensive for me with all these new films trying to acquire funding....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/filmferrania/100-more-years-of-analog-film

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
Re: Ferrania is trying to kickstart it....
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:03:57 PM »
I know what you mean... ;D

I'm in for the 2 rolls of 35mm and 120. I thought about the commerative box, but I don't shoot motion pictures and I plan to shoot this film, not collect it.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:17:40 PM »
I love the video and I love the packaging.

I do want to shoot some super8 again (it is a blast) so that is awesome but the 35/120 is what I am after.

For some reason I have not bit on any of the other kickstarters but I am certain I will do this one. Don't worry trixie, walter and big boy, help is coming!!
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
No 126 :'( but I'm in.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:23:50 AM »
Cool.  Really good pitch video

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 05:21:09 AM »
I backed. Really interested in trying out some "new" slide film!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:08:53 AM »
FILM IS ALIVE!
/jonas

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 09:45:39 AM »
Pledges have more than doubled since 11pm last night

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
100 more years of analog film!!

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 10:23:29 AM »
This is really turning into an expensive month for me! I've finally sent my film to be developed and scanned, bought some new film for a trip to Italy this weekend, and now this! ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 02:26:18 PM »
Maybe you could drop by Emilia-Romagna to check-out the progress at the factory ;)
I'm sure the family would enjoy visiting an old industrial complex... then again, maybe not...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 02:30:07 PM »
Ha ha! Unfortunately it's only a short weekend trip (Friday to Monday) and driving from Lago di Como to the factory is a bit too far. Next time maybe ;)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »
Just looked again and they are not far off halfway by tomorrow night they will have all the funds

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 05:09:58 PM »
Just looked again and they are not far off halfway by tomorrow night they will have all the funds

It would be great if they could continue this rate of adoption into day two of the campaign, but I think, historically, that's not usually the case.

One thing that surprises me is that Cinestill's campaign (which is just for one film size and type) is for *more* than Ferrania to the tune of about $110,000. I fear that someone is grossly miscalculating.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:24:31 PM by thatguychad »

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »
Its go up another $8000 in about half an hour

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »

It would be great if they could continue this rate of adoption into day two of the campaign, but I think, historically, that's not usually the case.

One thing that surprises me is that Cinestill's campaign (which is just for one film size and type) is for *more* than Ferrania to the tune of about $110,000. I fear that someone is grossly miscalculating.
Ya I don't think it is a done deal for them yet! I think it goes up and down depending on when the news is getting picked up by websites and such. While they are nearing the 1/2 way point, these things can start off with a bang and then slow down so hopefully folks will keep the stoke up about this.
---------------

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
Im going to check it has been posted on other forums

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
Cool.  Really good pitch video

I love how, when they are in the LRF building, that it is lit like a Mario Bava movie.

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 10:19:31 PM »
Och av poot ma munie intae rat project, so ther  8)  :'(  :'(  8)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 06:54:58 AM »
I never back anything... this I did!
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 08:19:17 AM »
Im in!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 09:07:10 AM »

I think they aim that high to get it on a good price when they release it to stores. atleast that's how I interpret this that they wrote:
Our goal is to make 120 rolls available around the world between $10-12USD (Obviously there is no way to perfectly predict the free market, but this is our goal!). This is why the Kickstarter campaign is crucial. Going into production without your backing, could increase the cost to as much as Sixteen USD per roll.
seems like cinestill 120 is happening however the kickstarter goes?
/jonas

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
BTW they are at the 150 grand mark, just a mere 100 Gs to go   :)
---------------

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »
And $282  ;D

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »
I think they aim that high to get it on a good price when they release it to stores. atleast that's how I interpret this that they wrote:
Our goal is to make 120 rolls available around the world between $10-12USD (Obviously there is no way to perfectly predict the free market, but this is our goal!). This is why the Kickstarter campaign is crucial. Going into production without your backing, could increase the cost to as much as Sixteen USD per roll.
seems like cinestill 120 is happening however the kickstarter goes?

Boo on me for not reading the info for a project I backed.  ;D

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »
The interview on fpp is great. I like how he describes that film is not dead it is just that the market has gone from billions to millions, which he said is fine it is just that we need to invest in scaling the industry. This project (which he describes as a "goldilocks" type problem, of making the manufacturing facilities 'just right' ) is all about rebuilding a film company that is scaled to the new market. http://filmphotographyproject.com/podcast/2014/09/film-photography-podcast-110-%E2%80%93-october-1-2014
---------------

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 10:56:02 PM »
Backed!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 11:15:47 PM »
Even though I shoot largely black and white, I'm in for two each of 120 and 35. Well worth backing.

Mab

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
Three thousand backers, $163k in the bag and still 26 days to go. I'm sure this one will succeed. I just love the Kickstarter.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
The interview on fpp is great. I like how he describes that film is not dead it is just that the market has gone from billions to millions, which he said is fine it is just that we need to invest in scaling the industry. This project (which he describes as a "goldilocks" type problem, of making the manufacturing facilities 'just right' ) is all about rebuilding a film company that is scaled to the new market. http://filmphotographyproject.com/podcast/2014/09/film-photography-podcast-110-%E2%80%93-october-1-2014
yeah, he said the same on pdexposures. making a facilities that can deliver that many different films and in so small scale is unique and something that fits the market.
Ferrania is more and more looking like the shining star of the film future :D it was def needed for colour atleast. who knows what will happen with kodak and fuji in the coming years?
/jonas

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »
yeah, he said the same on pdexposures. making a facilities that can deliver that many different films and in so small scale is unique and something that fits the market.

I recall going to the Ilford factory a few years back and them saying they same thing,  basically they can do smaller runs, stop the machines, change what they need and restart - which makes them viable.   Sure there was a reference to the agfa plant which was essentially built to run 24/7 with no way to stop the machines -  so ultimately it had to fail. 
Ferrania is more and more looking like the shining star of the film future :D it was def needed for colour atleast. who knows what will happen with kodak and fuji in the coming years?

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 10:10:05 PM »
Only $54,000 to go

oldwino

• 35mm
    • Beckmeyer Photographs
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 02:26:43 AM »
Looks like they are getting pretty close now. That's good news.

CineStill still has a LONG way to go. Not feeling as optimistic about that one.
Wandering the Earth with a Leica IIIc, Leica M2, Mamiya-Six, and a bunch of old lenses...

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 09:58:23 AM »
Looks like they are getting pretty close now. That's good news.

CineStill still has a LONG way to go. Not feeling as optimistic about that one.
yeah, I've wondered if they're going about this quite right or not.

even more so after reading this comment by trash-star on flickr:
It really seems like their goal is to upgrade their facilities, not necessarily develop a new product.
They can make 120 Cinestill, but maybe not as clean or in the amount that they would like.
But they can make it, which is quite a bit different from Film Ferrania, New55 or Travelwide-
-photo related projects I've backed. Instead, Cinestill are asking for almost as much as New55 and
$100K more than Film Ferrania, both of whom are starting from scratch and basically making their own film.
If they want investment in their infrastructure, I really think they should accept the limits that come with that,
namely accountability to their investors.
/jonas

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »
Yeah, the amount Cinestill is trying to raise doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of these other projects, and they don't explain why they need that amount of money.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Keep in mind that Ferrania is getting help from the local government so that may be driving their cost down.  It sounds like they are purchasing the equipment but they must be getting quite a bargain.  It says that 25% of the Kickstarter budget is for packaging and shipping the rewards.  That leaves $187,500 for purchasing the equipment, dismantling it, moving it to the other facility and setting it up again.  I've been involved in many demolition projects of industrial facilities and that seems very low especially when they are re-installing the equipment in another facility.  Maybe they are just saving the equipment to set up at a later date.  Or maybe it just costs a lot less to do thing like that in Italy compared to what I do in the US.

It does seem like CineStill is asking for a lot for a much smaller scale operation.  They don't break down how much is going to the rewards.  I just wonder how much Kickstarter scrutinizes these things, I know they are for profit businesses but how much profit do they allow.

Kickstarter does mention this in an email I just got:

We considered a lower goal to give us a better chance at success. But that would mean counting on stretch goals, or some other trick, to raise the money that we actually need.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:35:03 PM by BAC1967 »

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »
The buildings with the machines will be torn down soon. The only target of the project is to salvage the machines from beeing scrapped end of 2014. They need the money now or the machines are lost. They only pay the scrap price. Mr Bodecker from Adox said on a german board that the price is reasonable. Whether or when the machines will be build up again is another story.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:26:12 PM by imagesfrugales »

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 10:48:27 PM »
Ya. It does seem like a low price. It does sound like they are getting a fair but of support from their regional government whom is keen on preserving industry.
---------------

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2014, 09:04:42 AM »
yes they've got great support from the local government. and I think a kickstarter should have good ground to stand on before looking for help that way. if they wanted whatever they could get they could go with indiegogo instead where they don't have to reach said goal to "unlock" the money people pour in.

ofcourse, there's also several models of purely just letting the kickstarter be a purchase service where however many put money in get products, limited or not.
/jonas

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »

Looks like they have only $19,000 to go

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »
They made their target  :)

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2014, 01:51:06 PM »
That's great. Hopefully with 17 days to go they will be able to have a nice big war chest by the end if the campaign :-)
---------------

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2014, 09:23:23 PM »
That's great. Hopefully with 17 days to go they will be able to have a nice big war chest by the end if the campaign :-)

That would be cool.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2014, 09:29:54 PM »
yess!! not suprising but great none the less :)

I liked this too:
"All motion picture rewards now include FREE PROCESSING!"
/jonas

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »
Ya I almost bit on the super 8 as I have only shot color once. Super8 is awesome, be or colour.

Any guesses on the final tally for them? I say $375 grand ( tho I hope I am way under haha )
---------------

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2014, 10:59:32 PM »
Who was it that said these kickstaters don't keep up the momentum

oldwino

• 35mm
    • Beckmeyer Photographs
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
Just received an email - looks like they made their goal.  5582 backers and $322,420 pledged. 

First film in April 2015.
Wandering the Earth with a Leica IIIc, Leica M2, Mamiya-Six, and a bunch of old lenses...

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »
Just received an email - looks like they made their goal.  5582 backers and $322,420 pledged. 

First film in April 2015.

Spring will be a nice time to shoot some chrome! 

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »
Och thev chust tookt ma munie  ::) :) :'(
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »
And mine