Author Topic: How to destroy a Leica  (Read 3631 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
How to destroy a Leica
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:08:54 PM »
This is one kickstarter I hope fails.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1807005251/frankencamera-ii

Turning a good film camera into a crappy digital camera.

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/29/photographer-hacks-together-leica-m4-canon-xt-digital-frankencamera/

I hope this is just a passing fad and they don't destroy too many Leicas in the process.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: How to destroy a Leica
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
I read both RFF threads. The guy behind the Kickstarter one did a 3D-printed digital back for a Konica S3 that was pretty impressive but required modification of the camera; he claims the new project will be non-destructive and reversible. The Leica M4 hack is just that, and not a pretty one either, but also non-destructive.

It seems a little over the top to me, but I've been known to take things apart just to see if they could be put together another way, so I can't be too critical of their efforts. As long as they keep things 100% reversible it doesn't really bother me.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:41:51 PM »
I can't see the point, ive got 2 Leica M4 and bought a Sony A7 all work perfect and look great

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »
I read both RFF threads. The guy behind the Kickstarter one did a 3D-printed digital back for a Konica S3 that was pretty impressive but required modification of the camera; he claims the new project will be non-destructive and reversible. The Leica M4 hack is just that, and not a pretty one either, but also non-destructive.

It seems a little over the top to me, but I've been known to take things apart just to see if they could be put together another way, so I can't be too critical of their efforts. As long as they keep things 100% reversible it doesn't really bother me.

Ok, maybe not destroy but I don't see how it makes it any better.  I hope it doesn't drive up the price of a Leica, I may never be able to afford one.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:50:57 PM »
What a waste of time.  Why would anyone want to invest in a a project that takes a perfectly good, valuable camera and turns it into a poor quality digital camera with no intrinsic value?

If you want a digital camera you can buy a perfectly good one for less than the price of a leica.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
Thats why i bought the Sony A7 and Voigtlander close focus adapter because i can't afford an M9/M240 but now i have a camera to match them
and can use all my M mount lenses

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:21:39 PM »
Well at least he didn't turn it into a lamp like we've seen a few years ago!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:30:43 PM »
It really boils down to what one is seeking to achieve. If all you want is a digital camera, then yes, this is a colossal waste of time; if you want to approach it as a mechanical and mental exercise, solving a problem of your own design by whatever means you choose and are able to effect, then I'm all for it. Taking things apart, figuring out how they work, and redesigning, reconfiguring, and reassembling them successfully can be enormously satisfying in an academic sense, even if the end result is of little practical purpose.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »
I don't really care to judge. If someone has a project and they are having fun with it then why bother.

Also im pretty sure that in the kickstarter group it mentioned that the digital back is intended to be reversible and non destructive.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »
Sure, why not. While he is at it how about a back for an OM-1, again reversible.
Even though we are the 'filmwasters' we still use digital technology all the time. To post pictures to this forum or anywhere else for that manner. I'm sure many here have used a digital camera to post pictures of a ongoing project or of classic film cameras to be displayed on this forum.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
The question that keeps popping into my head is "Why?" You can certainly get a cheap digital camera and mount good glass on it, so that's probably not the motivation. I just keep coming back to "it's for people who want the prestige of a Leica, but don't want the bother of film and can't afford a new M-P". I don't get this, but then I shoot with a freakin' Electro 35! :)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Terry

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 08:20:41 PM »
I'm with you James.  All I can think about this is, "what a waste of good glass".

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 02:36:58 AM »
The question that keeps popping into my head is "Why?" You can certainly get a cheap digital camera and mount good glass on it, so that's probably not the motivation. I just keep coming back to "it's for people who want the prestige of a Leica, but don't want the bother of film and can't afford a new M-P". I don't get this, but then I shoot with a freakin' Electro 35! :)

I think the why is because digital cameras , for the most part, don't operate like classic film cameras. Most do not have a shutter speed dial or an aperture ring. It feels like you are handling a lump of plastic because you are. When people ask why I still use film I tell them that one reason is  "because the cameras I like use film". In fact, I lost interest in 35mm film cameras as soon as they started to resemble slightly melted plastic blobs. A classic, all mechanical Canon F-1 has got it all over a Canon T90 or any of the auto focus EF mount Canon's. It just looks and feels right in a way that is hard to quantify but is definite. This is of course personal opinion and preference but I think I'm not the only one who feels that way.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:13:47 AM »
^ I feel the same since getting my Leicas no other camera feels the same or is as nice to use, my Sony A7 is close

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 02:30:11 PM »
WWLD

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
Based on his blog, where he discusses his first project and this Leica conversion, it seems to be mostly an engineering / design exercise. More a proof of concept rather than an actual prototype as his concerns regarding commercial implications seem secondary. As for the why, it struck me as largely a design lark but I think John is likely more correct. Film cameras just feel different - especially something as beautifully built as a Leica. Digitals are fine but even the best don't feel like a film camera. Again based on the blog, he seems to have a fair bit of technical & creative ability so he should be able to do what he describes, which is to make the conversion reversible / non-catastrophic. These projects pop up from time to time - analogue to digital conversions. Often they haven't even got to a proof of concept, they are stuck in some kind of design wank limbo. I say more power to him for following through. Especially since his project is funded, I'll look forward to seeing what he comes up with.

I wonder if he's familiar with the Adox 300 (longish article here http://www.shutterbug.com/content/adox-300-35mm-interchangeable-film-magazines if you're unfamiliar)? I've thought that the Adox 300 could make a good starting point for this kind of thing.