Author Topic: the transition from analog to digital  (Read 6135 times)

p4portra

• 35mm
the transition from analog to digital
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »
Hi Chaps and Chapettes,

I just thought I would introduce myself!

As far as photography is concerned, I am really a child of the digital age but have developed an interest in film following the purchase of a 35mm Olympus XA rangefinder camera.

I've not put much through the XA - just a few rolls of Portra and HP5, but what I've realised is how much I enjoy to the whole process of film photography. It costs so much to develop film that I've really been forced to slow down and consequently the overall quality (composition and feeling) of the pictures I've had out of the XA far exceed what I have even been able to achieve with my Fujifilm X100.

I have an interest in street photography and I am now thinking about chopping in my Fujifilm X100 for a Ricoh GR1V/GR21; As the Ricoh can genuinely be carried in the pocket and I still have various digital P&S cameras/Canon SLR for eBay etc.

Thanks for listening,

Thomas

P.S. who wants to sell me their mint black Ricoh GR1V?

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: the transition from analog to digital
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
Joining here you will soon be developing your own film, I'm more knowledgeable in b+w development but others do C41 so you will soon bring the costs down, also look into rolling your
Own film from bulk rolls its very easy, if you live in the UK I can give you a discount code to get HP5 for £50 for 100 feet

p4portra

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
Thanks Gary.

Yes, I am definitely interested in developing my own film.

As soon as I have acquired a Ricoh, I have some ideas for a long term project using HP5; I got MRS P4PORTRA to buy me a backlog of HP5 (have about 18 more rolls), but will hopefully get through that quite quickly. As soon as it's gone, I would definitely be interested in buying some in bulk though!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »
Welcome Thomas.

You'll quickly see that the complexities of darkroom magic are all just smoke and mirrors. Once you master this, you'll see that it's making what Ansel called the "expressive print" that is the hard part.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

p4portra

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »
Thanks Francois.

Do you develop AND print at home? I am sure it's blasphemy round these parts, but the digital child in me is also quite interested in scanning film for further development in Lightroom... I know, I know!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:28:05 PM »
It's not blasphemy at all.
I'm lucky to have a full darkroom, enlargers and all. But it's not the case with most of the people here. Many live in apartments so no classic enlarging for them. But home developing needs so little stuff that most do it in the bathroom with no problem.

Scanning is the way we do it 99% of the time.
Francois

p4portra

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »
Great.

I am definitely interested in developing and scanning at home; I think printing may be something to leave to the labs.

The first job is to track down the tiny Ricoh GR1V... I've been on the lookout for a nice example for about a month now- so hard to find decent ones.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:13:12 PM »
Welcome aboard Thomas!

Just to reiterate what others have said, B&W processing is easy. Apart from saving some serious money (that will go towards more film!) it gives one an immense sense of satisfaction pulling that roll of freshly developed negs from the spool!

Don't know where you're based but there's a GR1V for sale at Ffordes http://www.ffordes.com/product/14090512531531

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »
Although you are searching for a specific camera it is a good ides to broaden your selection process. There are many fine small 35mm viewfinder and rangefinder cameras that would at least be coat or cargo pocketable. Unless you wear very baggy slacks with big pockets then almost any 35mm camera will be quite a bulge in your pants pocket. Another thing to consider is the type of control a camera offers over it's basic functions. Auto focus, auto exposure, battery dependent etc. can be a boon but also a curse at times.   

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 05:20:39 PM »
One of the best to put in your pocket is the Rollei 35 I've got one and they are great, you can't focus like you normally would you have to scale focus by using distance and aperture to give yoh the depth of field you need

This is HP5 developed in DDX and taken with a Rollei 35B that i bought for £40

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:33:17 PM by gsgary »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 05:40:23 PM »
Welcome to Filmwasters, and to the official XA User's Collective (which I just started 2 seconds ago) :) As others have said, home development is a piece of cake. Oh, and please ignore my thread about consistently screwing up C41 chemistry ... start off with B&W ;)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 07:10:31 PM »
Welcome Thomas. You are going to find yourself among some of the most encouraging analog photographers in the world here. Think up the dumbest, most obvious question you can and post it here. No one is going to berate you for not searching, you won't get any RTFM responses, just a genuinely helpful answer, probably with some fantastic photos attached to illustrate the point. Oh and the UK guys are funny too. They say funny things like "Top o' th' marnin'" and "Och! Dinna fash yersel." Ok, not really, but a good sense of humor is appreciated by all.

James
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:51:41 PM »
Welcome!  FWIW (nothing since it's a very personal thing) I had one of those Ricohs and loved the idea of it but never quite bonded with it. Now using a Rollei 35 for 35mm and we are one.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
"Och! Dinna fash yersel."

Pretty sure edthened just said that in a post today :D

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:30 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful slippery slope of film photography. I predict at least a half dozen film cameras and a Paterson 3 reel tank in your future.

johnha

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 11:49:01 PM »
Welcome. I've got a GR1s (not for sale) and just looked at some prices for the GR21 (ouch!). For street photography I prefer my Minox GTS - it's much more discreet without whirring to advance the film immediately after the shot. Scale focusing, aperture priority and manual film advance in a very small package.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 12:03:09 AM »
There are those who don't like them, but the Yashica Electro 35 is worth considering. It is aperture priority only, but you do get a nice piece of f/1.7 glass on the front of it. And the price really can't be beat. It's not small, but not big either. It is quiet (both shutter and film advance). I wouldn't hesitate to take mine street shooting if I were into that sort of thing.

Mercedes by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:05:00 AM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 02:24:50 AM »
Och wers dis "dinnae fash yersel" cummin frae ?????????????????? :o

PS.  Och rat 'appinzz tae bee wunno rem Ricoh GR1 cameras in ma avatar, an it's nae a bad wee instrumint an it gaws oot wi mee werever a gaw, so ther :-) :-)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:29:04 AM by edthened »
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 02:28:42 AM »
Hookstrapped & I endorse the Canon Canonet. (Hookstrapped, not so much anymore because of his newfound love for his Rollei.) Like the Yashica that James just described, it's comfortably small and has a fast 1.7 lens. It's shutter priority, but really, the two are the same. The yin and yang of film cameras. In fact, since the aperture is what is displayed in the viewfinder, you're basically selecting the aperture while composing. Oh, and it goes full manual too, if you're into that.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 02:55:52 AM »
Welcome to the asylum. You'll find most of your fellow inmates will only further enable your condition.

As far as camera selection, it would help to know what in particular appeals about the GR1v. If you just want something that fits in a pocket, that's easy - there are lots of options, some of which have already been mentioned. But if the focal length is the selling point, it gets trickier, as there aren't many choices when you get out to the wide end. If you really want a 28, I'd be buying something that takes Leica screw mount lenses and sticking a Voigtländer 28 on it. Easier to fit in your pocket than you might think, plus you get to switch lenses when needed. But then I have large pockets and an aversion to technology.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 03:05:00 AM »
Welcome Thomas. You are going to find yourself among some of the most encouraging analog photographers in the world here. Think up the dumbest, most obvious question you can and post it here. No one is going to berate you for not searching, you won't get any RTFM responses, just a genuinely helpful answer, probably with some fantastic photos attached to illustrate the point. Oh and the UK guys are funny too. They say funny things like "Top o' th' marnin'" and "Och! Dinna fash yersel." Ok, not really, but a good sense of humor is appreciated by all.

James

This^^^ all day long! :) Here is a Good Place.

May I proffer one more vote for a Rollei 35? Even I can handle the scale focusing and it's a great stealth street camera:

rs Hipster wolf by limrodrigues, on Flickr

rs 100 years by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I don't think anyone's trying to talk you out of the Ricoh. I think we just figure that if you've truly gotten the film bug, chances are you'll be looking to add to the collection soon enough  ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:27:11 PM by limr »
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 07:13:54 AM »

James

This^^^ all day long! :) Here is a Good Place.

May I proffer one more vote for a Rollei 35? Even I can handle the scale focusing and it's a great stealth street camera:

rs Hipster wolf by limrodrigues, on Flickr

rs 100 years by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I don't think anyone's trying to talk you out of the Ricoh. I think we just figure that if you've truly gotten the film bug, changes are you'll be looking to add to the collection soon enough  ;D
Beautiful colours in that first shot

p4portra

• 35mm
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 07:35:57 AM »
Thank you all for taking the time to respond; its been some time since I joined a forum, and had a response as warm as that!

I do like the Rollei cameras and could certainly be tempted by something like that. As you mention, the collection of cameras will almost certanly grow... As I also fancy a good rangefinder and maybe something medium format.

In the short term, as I am interested in street style photography the attraction of the GR1V was zone focussing, it's small form factor, ability to change the ISO in camera and wide focal length.

I am not necessarily set on the 28MM focal length. TBH, it's not a focal length I have any real experience of - have been shooting with 35MM for the last few years, but do sometimes long for something a bit wider... The 21MM GR21 would be a lot of fun, but they have a bit of a cult following with prices in the £650-1000 range.

A few other premium compact cameras I have been considering:

Contax T2
Contax T3
Minolta TC-1
Ricoh GR1
Ricoh GR1S
Ricoh GR21

Thanks for the GR1V that was linked too BTW!

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »
You can't go wrong buying from FFords I've bought lots from them lots of nics Voigtlander lenses for my Leica M 4's

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 08:16:02 AM »
There is a gr1 s on ebay for £195 funny I had one in my hands last night at our film group

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 11:20:26 AM »
I used to have a Rollei 35, a quirky camera with a fist class lens.
Back in the day I did a review...
http://photo-utopia.blogspot.co.uk/2007/10/rollei-35.html

BTW welcome, I know you'll enjoy this friendly forum... :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:24:24 AM by Photo_Utopia »
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 03:20:58 PM »
Strange nobody has mentioned the Konica Hexar. It's got a "stealth mode" which is so quiet it is said that it can be used in church without anyone noticing.
Francois

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »
My recommendation would be the GR-1 for overall sharpness, and versatility. But if it is total stealth you're looking for, then the Canonet is hard to beat! Both reviewed with a heap of comments over in the <Articles> section... Good luck and welcome! Skj.

p4portra

• 35mm
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »
Right... Just bought an absolutely mint GR1S in silver.

Can't wait.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »
Where did you get it from ? don't leave it too lond till you show us some shots

p4portra

• 35mm
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 11:10:59 PM »
Where did you get it from ? don't leave it too lond till you show us some shots

I took my chances on the bay; I really wanted a black GR1V, but this GR1S was just too tempting:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221556603535?

Just look at the fresh foam!

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 05:57:52 AM »
It doesn't look like it has ever been used

p4portra

• 35mm
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »
I know. I couldn't help myself.

I am expecting it to arrive on October 7th, so will share some pictures in the I just picked up thread when it's here.