Author Topic: Instax mini with vintage folder camera lens  (Read 7154 times)

phh

• 35mm
    • Pei-Hua
Instax mini with vintage folder camera lens
« on: September 22, 2014, 05:34:44 AM »
Instax mini 30 + Olympus Zuiko 75/2.8

To mod the medium format lens to an Instax mini isn't that difficult. The hard thing is finding the proper lens with shutter for the mod. For Instax mini, the 75mm lens from 6x6/6x45 folder cameras probably is the most cost effective choice. 

Due to the lens focus difference and mini's original lens barrel design, it still comes with a bit vignetting after all possible modifications. The color rendering tends to be bit yellowish compared with the original lens, especially with the indoor lighting. One shortcoming is that you'd better use a digital camera for light metering. The instant film is just as the reversal, not much latitude there.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:44:59 AM by phh »

phh

• 35mm
    • Pei-Hua
Re: Instax mini with vintage folder camera lens
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 05:41:32 AM »
Instax mini 10 + Fujica 75/3.5

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:44 AM »
That's a really interesting modification. How did you attach the lens/shutter assembly and ensure that it is perfectly square to the film plane? Do you lock the shutter on B and just adjust the aperture, or did you figure out a way to use the leaf shutter as well?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

phh

• 35mm
    • Pei-Hua
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »
Regarding this kind of lens mod, it's really hard to ensure the lens is perfectly square to film plane. On the other hand, compared with regular film flatness, even the original Instax film itself doesn't make it as well. So it's still worth modding it.

Oh, one more thing about the lens: better pick up ones with front-element focusing. Though not as good as unit focusing, it's really much easier on final flange focal distance adjustment. Regarding the rough estimation, I found that with Triplet/Tessar structure, the distance from Instax film exit slot to the center of leaf shutter is roughly equal to lens focus (75mm).

That's a really interesting modification. How did you attach the lens/shutter assembly and ensure that it is perfectly square to the film plane? Do you lock the shutter on B and just adjust the aperture, or did you figure out a way to use the leaf shutter as well?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:16:21 PM by phh »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:09:41 AM »
thanks for sharing your work, Pei-Hua! I like the results you get with these :)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »
What I like about this is that it extends the range of the original Instax by leaps and bounds.

Great idea.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »
I just hope fujifilm reads this and starts to think of the possibilities :)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »
Yeah, Because I've been waiting for years for them to make a top of the line Instax.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

phh

• 35mm
    • Pei-Hua
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »
Fuji even discontinued the only Instax camera with autofocus funtion (500AF). From the cost perspective I believe AF funtion isn't that pricey, let alone the faster lens nor something else.
Yeah, Because I've been waiting for years for them to make a top of the line Instax.