Author Topic: Submitted For Your Approval  (Read 3819 times)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
Submitted For Your Approval
« on: September 21, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »
The local photography group I co-lead is going to have a meetup where we teach people how to judge exposure via the sunny 16 rule. We will hand each participant a film camera without a working meter and have them each shoot a roll during a photo walk. In preparation, I have been going through my cameras to find suitable models for people to use. What I have discovered is that I have way too many cameras that are loaded with partially shot rolls, at least a dozen. I have no idea what was shot on rolls, what the ISO is on quite a few and, for many, how long they have been sitting dormant.  I now have just a couple of weeks to blow through a dozen rolls of film. To describe this phenomenon, which I have no doubt afflicts other filmwasters too, I propose a new acronym: TMLC.  TMLC stands for Too Many Loaded Cameras. I was originally going to submit TMFLC but I realize that the FWAAB (Filmwasters Acronym Approval Board) may not appreciate the colloquialism, no matter how effective it may be at relaying the angst upon discovering one is suffering from TMFLC. So TMLC it is, if the FWAAB shall approve.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Re: Submitted For Your Approval
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:14:55 PM »
I only shoot ASA100 films so I never have this problem.  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »
And when I bulk load, I write the ISO on the leader using a sharpie.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »
I had a similar problem to Adam's (too many half-used rolls loaded) but not 12.  However, I've made an effort over the last few months to dwindle that down to one or two at most. Eventually, I see this leading to me reducing my "collection" to some extent as I suspect I will gravitate towards a couple of 35mm and similar for 120.

I'm up for TMLC as the description of the affliction described - which is a bit similar to "WTFitis" which tends to hit me when faced with a box full of assorted film stock that doesn't contain what I was looking for - despite being utterly convinced that I had at least a few rolls of it left. I've also been known to suffer from ID-ten-T (I.D.1.0.T.) disorder when realising I've just shot half (or more) of a roll in a rangefinder while the lens cap has remained firmly affixed to the lens.  I humbly submit these acronyms to the FWAAB for consideration.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:44:06 PM »
I bulk load, on each cassette is a piece of masking tape with film and speed wrote on it, when i load the film i transfer the tape to the bottom of the camera, if i shoot a pre rolled from a shop i tear off the top of the packet with the name of the film and speed fold it up and put it in the hot shoe

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 10:54:57 PM »
 Too Many Loaded Cameras = ToMaLoCa
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

timor

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:54:01 AM »
I bulk load, on each cassette is a piece of masking tape with film and speed wrote on it, when i load the film i transfer the tape to the bottom of the camera, if i shoot a pre rolled from a shop i tear off the top of the packet with the name of the film and speed fold it up and put it in the hot shoe
You've got it from me. One piece on the cassette with type, ISO and potential number of frames, possibly date of loading and second piece on the canister with same data and this piece will be transfered onto the camera.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:32:32 AM »
Just last week I started a "note" on my phone called "what's in my cameras"? :D

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 05:58:09 AM »
You've got it from me. One piece on the cassette with type, ISO and potential number of frames, possibly date of loading and second piece on the canister with same data and this piece will be transfered onto the camera.
Who let you in here :D

timor

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 07:32:54 AM »
Who let you in here :D
Who, who. The boss.  ;D

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 09:14:07 AM »
made some simple self adhesive labels  for bulk loading  8)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »
Hmmm. I don't always bulk load the film, but I like the tape idea. I really do need to come up with a better system than, "Crap, what did I load in this?"  I tried keeping only one camera loaded at any given time, but...that didn't work.  :-[

It should come as no surprise, then, that I of course approve of the acronym. Being a bit of a cheeky lass, I'll more commonly use the TMFLC version.

Of course, now I have NO loaded cameras, a situation that is just as dire as too many.

Timor!!  (Gary - I snuck him in ;) )
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:44:54 PM by limr »
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 03:17:03 PM »
I try to have just enough of them loaded so I remember what's in them...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »
Hmmm. I don't always bulk load the film, but I like the tape idea. I really do need to come up with a better system than, "Crap, what did I load in this?"  I tried keeping only one camera loaded at any given time, but...that didn't work.  :-[

It should come as no surprise, then, that I of course approve of the acronym. Being a bit of a cheeky lass, I'll more commonly use the TMFLC version.

Of course, now I have NO loaded cameras, a situation that is just as dire as too many.

Timor!!  (Gary - I snuck him in ;) )
You will regret it he is big trouble :D

timor

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »
You will regret it he is big trouble :D
Yeah, that's my second name.
Now, when you are on the brink of own wet printing I will go through trouble to send you some photographic glycin. Ha ?

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 04:54:58 PM »
Im hoping to do some printing in the next few weeks, I'm getting some Lucky paper to practice with £35 for 100 sheets and when I get back into it get some Ilford and the Lucky paper will do for test print and contact sheets

timor

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
Im hoping to do some printing in the next few weeks, I'm getting some Lucky paper to practice with £35 for 100 sheets and when I get back into it get some Ilford and the Lucky paper will do for test print and contact sheets
Look for FOMA paper, looks more like silver print than Ilford, which looks very "digital". Foma easier reacts to cool tone developers, Ilford, no matter what the developer, is always the same. You don't need even developer for it, anything with pH8 and higher will do, Ilford puts a lot of developing agents in the emulsion.
Look around for old paper, even such, which is fogging still useful for discovering dust on the negs.
Test strips: better check if someone is selling some enlarger light meter - safes paper. Even this:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/n_dude/DSC01023.jpg

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 02:22:22 PM »
Operation Use That Film Up Free Those Cameras, day one: I threw four of the cameras with partially shot rolls into a bag, 2 Canonet QL17 GIIIs, One Petri Racer and a Smena 8 with the intention of spending the day street shooting. I also took out my newly acquired Rollei 35 TE. I stopped for lunch and tried a pint of Porter and wound up discussing music, photography and beer with the bartender. Total shots taken, 4. Left and stopped into a consignment shop to see if any cameras were about. Only thing of interest was a Polaroid ProPack in decent shape but as I already have one I gave it a pass.  I then made my way uptown and walked for a bit. I bumped into a guy walking around shooting a Crown Graphic so of course a lengthy conversation ensued. Then I remembered that one of the local museums was hosting a pop up gallery of a series of photos called the Boombox Project and went in to view it. Total shots taken 12. Left the museum after a bit and it was late afternoon. walked about to shoot more, but not much caught my interest. Total shots taken 26. But here's the rub. Many of the shots I took were with the Rollei. So the tally stands thus:

Total Cameras Freed: -1

Project Status for Day One: Abject Failure

On to day two...

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 02:43:03 AM »
Your post made me think of how many cameras I currently have loaded. Near as I can figure it is eight. Way too many and behind in developing also, probably six or seven rolls 35mm and two rolls of 16mm from my Minolta submini cameras. But, winter is approaching, yeah, no more hot weather! My time of year! I can actually set up the bathroom to print without roasting.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Submitted For Your Approval
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 04:57:03 AM »

I use an app called Film Rolls to record what I have loaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:06:15 AM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 07:13:44 AM »

That sounds great! I'll look it up. Does it have a place to record what films have come out of your cameras and how they need to be developed? That's the second part of my new note...

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 11:12:25 AM »

That sounds great! I'll look it up. Does it have a place to record what films have come out of your cameras and how they need to be developed? That's the second part of my new note...

Yes, it would do that. It basically just stores details of each roll of film. Meant for rolls in the camera but no reason they have to be. I'd probably set up another 'camera' called 'For Developing' or something. There's a place for notes so you could add dev details.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 05:46:40 PM »

Yes, it would do that. It basically just stores details of each roll of film. Meant for rolls in the camera but no reason they have to be. I'd probably set up another 'camera' called 'For Developing' or something. There's a place for notes so you could add dev details.

Must be iPhone only or something, I can't find it in the Google play store. But for now my notepad note works :)