Author Topic: Cinestill in MF  (Read 5565 times)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Cinestill in MF
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »
Looks like CineStill is pushing to get a 120 800T film out on the market.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cinestill/cinestill-medium-format-film

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Cinestill in MF
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »
They're definitely going into a whole other ballpark with this one!
From now, they were using regular film stock. 120 would need to be cut to a different width by Kodak.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
I really like this  :D It's so nice that after all those discontinued films there is a new one coming. Well new... not emulsion wise, but this type of film in MF get's me smiling. Needless to say I drew my wallet  :o

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:47:34 PM »
Yeah, I'm gonna have to get in on this.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »
Pretty freakin' gorgeous colors.  Are they making this from 70mm cine stock?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
It doesn't look like it since they don't have sprockets.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »
I'm thinking you trim the sprocket holes and you're left with the right size film

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »
There may not be enough space between the sprockets to trim it.  If they are buying bulk they may be able to get it un-perforated and then trim it down from that. 

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 06:24:17 AM »
I'm in for 10 rolls.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 02:28:28 AM »
10 rolls for me, too :)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 02:48:43 AM »
In for 5 here.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 05:19:46 PM »
I'm kinda bummed that this hasn't picked up like I thought it would. As of now, they're still under $50k...well short of the $360k mark.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 01:49:33 AM »
If everyone helps by putting on their social media, that would help to get the word out. That's why I posted about it here and posted the link to the Kickstarter page on Twitter where I work. Every little bit helps.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 08:13:58 AM »
Anyone got their rolls? A good friend here in town shared one of his many rolls with me so it landed in my lap yesterday :)

I guess by now that we've got someone on the forum that's familiar with the 35mm version and can give some insight on how this film behaves?
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 08:36:50 AM »
I tried a roll of 35mm.  To be fair, I really screwed up and it was my fault.  I really like Portra 800 and part of me wanted to see how this new CineStill would measure up.  However, it's not a direct comparison (aside from speed).  Once I'd realised this, I sort of lost interest and ended up taking a load of truly crap photos in all sorts of mixed lighting conditions and then, to add insult to injury, had it processed at Snappy Snaps. End result: two photos I was reasonably happy with but that needed a lot of work on colours to get rid of (from memory) a very icky green cast. There, that's better.....

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there is a Flickr group dedicated to CineStill and I'm equally sure there'll be the usual mix of good, bad and bloody awful on there that will help identify its strengths, weaknesses and idiosyncrasies.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:16 AM »
yeah but I want to hear what YOU guys think of it! :)

looking at what I find on flickr and reading what you write, I don't see much point for me other than shooting dimly lit/dark places and having some kind of light source in the frame (love the effect!). well, atleast in trying to think how I'd like it used for some pleasing results :)
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
OK but I suspect a lot will depend on whether you like photos with colour shifts or whether you want to use an 85B filter to get it back to something resembling daylight film.

I've seen some photos on the Flickr group that looked very nice and the colour shift wasn't of the icky green variety - it was actually a slightly "warmer" look which was what I'd describe as cinematic.  I don't recall if the poster indicated that was as a result of any filter-based colour correction or if it was the prevailing lighting conditions with no filters. 

I'm thinking about getting some of the 120 when it's available and shooting a grey card in the first frame so I can use that as a baseline when processing the developed negs in Lightroom or Photoshop. Reason being that I want the option to have a shortcut back to a daylight "look" if the prevailing light produces a colour shift I either don't want or don't like.   

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »
I received my rolls a bit over a week ago, got all excited and loaded and shot a roll in a Ciroflex. What I forgot to consider was the T in the name and shot the whole damn roll in natural light. Result, not surprisingly, greenish cast. I'm going to attempt to be more considered when shooting the remaining rolls. I hope to get a night street session in soon.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 06:42:16 PM »
A great photographer who I've mentioned here before, Adam Goldberg, shoots a TON of Cinestill 120. I follow him on Instagram, but his gallery site is probably a better place to see a lot of his Cinestill images in one go:

http://adamgoldberg.tumblr.com/tagged/cinestill-120

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
A great photographer who I've mentioned here before, Adam Goldberg, shoots a TON of Cinestill 120. I follow him on Instagram, but his gallery site is probably a better place to see a lot of his Cinestill images in one go:

http://adamgoldberg.tumblr.com/tagged/cinestill-120

Now THOSE photos, I like....!!  No icky green-ness to be seen and some lovely photos to-boot.  Thanks for posting the link, Ed  ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »
The good thing about night shots is that you can get away with insane color casts and nobody will ever notice :)
Francois

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 02:57:48 AM »
Here are two from the first roll that don't have a strong greenish cast to them.

Cinestill 800 120 - Drink by adoephoto, on Flickr

Cinestill 800 120 - Lunchbox Records by adoephoto, on Flickr

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »
It's always wonderful seeing a Dead Kennedys t-shirt on Filmwasters, so thanks for that Adam  8) ;D

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 01:33:46 PM »
Now THOSE photos, I like....!!  No icky green-ness to be seen and some lovely photos to-boot.  Thanks for posting the link, Ed  ;)

Don't know if you picked up on it (or remember from the last time I mentioned him on FW), but Adam Goldberg is a well known actor and budding musician. Check out this video from a few years ago in which he used 2100 still photos edited together to form a sometimes, slightly moving image. There are some lovely moments in it and I'd be amazed if the images weren't all shot on film as AG's a huge film fan.

https://youtu.be/gVVzu60nQcM

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
It's always wonderful seeing a Dead Kennedys t-shirt on Filmwasters, so thanks for that Adam  8) ;D

You're welcome Ed. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 08:51:29 PM »
And now I'm stuck with the riff to Too drunk to F*** in my head.... and it's all your fault  ;D
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
And now I'm stuck with the riff to Too drunk to F*** in my head.... and it's all your fault  ;D
ah, yes... good memories connected to that song :D
/jonas

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 10:05:42 AM »
back to topic a bit then, shall we? I saw this yesterday where Rick Astley -I mean Mike Janik(!) goes out shooting a roll while filming. so we kind of see how the light translates onto the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqkMC7SkRkM
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
So did I video to come tomorrow! We both got the films from the same place actually. Downtown Camera was giving away alpha rolls to try.

I've got the video edited and Ive been sent scans from the lab but I want to scan it myself to see what its exactly like to give a more comprehensive review.

I also think my shots were better too. Less wastey.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:48:57 PM by SLVR »

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 03:57:36 AM »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
good go for the roll :)

the varying light you shot it in helps for sure with getting an idea on how it behaves.
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »
yeah not bad at all! I wanted to make sure to test the roll in as varied shooting conditions as I could. It actually took me a couple weeks to get through the roll because even though the shots aren't terribly amazing I still wanted to put a little effort into the shots rather than just blast around town shooting nothing in particular.