Author Topic: Kinoflex Test  (Read 2632 times)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Kinoflex Test
« on: September 18, 2014, 03:34:23 PM »
I've recently been playing with a Kinoflex toy TLR. It is practically the same as the Halina Prefect.

This camera has fixed focus, I & B shutter settings, and three f-stops to choose from. Shoots 6x6. It is largely a copy of the Ricohflex, but made into a box camera. I ran a roll of Provia through to test it out.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Kinoflex Test
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
seems like a lens with nice character!
from what I gather trying to look up the camera it seems to be a looker in itself too :)
/jonas

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:10:07 PM »
It has a pleasing vignette and while soft, it's not "too" soft. Contrast is good in these shots, but might suffer shooting into the light. Nice camera and nice photos Flippy. Thanks for sharing!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:22:36 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I've found that when shooting at f-16 the results are surprisingly sharp in the center (about matching my "serious" TLRs), but all of these were taken at f8 or f11. The corners are soft at all apertures which is a nice effect when you want it.  The lens is a two element rectilinear ("double meniscus" according the wording on the camera itself) and so is pretty much free from any detectable barrel or pincushion distortion. I like it as it gives a bit more flexibility than most box cameras and it's more rugged than some of the cheesier plastic toy cams that give similar looking results.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 03:10:18 PM »
Hey! This is exactly the same thing as my Halina-Viceroy!

I finally know what to expect from it :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.