Author Topic: Brand new film camera from a company beginning with 'L'  (Read 7363 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Brand new film camera from a company beginning with 'L'
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:37:19 AM »
No, not a Lomo, it's a Leica!

Amateur Photographer:-
Leica bosses say they want photographers to concentrate on ‘essential parameters’ of photography, such as focal length, aperture and shutter speed and composition.
‘As a purely mechanical rangefinder camera, the Leica M-A stands for a return to photography in its most original form,’ the firm said in a statement released at Photokina in Cologne, Germany.
Leica has even ditched the classic Leica red dot for the M-A, to emphasise the ‘classical simplicity’ of the camera’s design – pointing out that the M-A is ‘significantly slimmer’ than its digital rivals.
‘Without reliance on a monitor, exposure metering or batteries, photographers can explore entirely new creative horizons,’ the firm claims.
Based on the specification of the Leica MP, the Leica M-A (Type 127) comes in a hand-built metal body, in a choice of silver-chrome and black-chrome finishes.
A box of Kodak Tri-X 400 black and white film is included in the kit, which is due out next month priced £3,100.

Handy if you've got a spare three grand, I guess, but still nice to see they've not abandoned film completely.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Re: Brand new film camera from a company beginning with 'L'
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »
Just wait, this will be the new street camera everyone will be using. I am disappointed that there's no black paint though.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 02:46:56 PM »
Tintin I can't tell if you are being sarcastic about "everyone" using it @ $5,500 for the body.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:47:56 PM »
Well, black chrome is still pretty neat.
I'm wondering what prompted them to do a return to all mechanical?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »
I'm guessing that they are 'banking' on the fact that in a few short years, hipsters are going to grow up and get good jobs and have enough disposable income to afford the $500 camera with a $5000 brand name.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 05:20:13 PM »
I'd really like to try a Leica, but the cost of entry is so high that I'm put off. I've spent $4000 on 42 film cameras over the years, I have a hard time dropping that on a single camera.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 05:30:46 PM »
I'd really like to try a Leica, but the cost of entry is so high that I'm put off. I've spent $4000 on 42 film cameras over the years, I have a hard time dropping that on a single camera.

Quantity vs Quality.  If one of your 42 cameras break you have plenty of backups.  I don't think A Leica is going to make anyone take better pictures than most any other camera.  Just look at the amazing pinhole and toy camera photos we see on this forum.  The quality may be good enough that a Leica lasts forever but is it worth it?  As much as I would like a Leica I will probably never own one unless I get an amazing deal. I prefer the challenge of getting a good photo from a crappy camera.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:33:23 PM by BAC1967 »

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »
Quantity vs Quality.  If one of your 42 cameras break you have plenty of backups.  I don't think A Leica is going to make anyone take better pictures than most any other camera.  Just look at the amazing pinhole and toy camera photos we see on this forum.  The quality may be good enough that a Leica lasts forever but is it worth it?  As much as I would like a Leica I will probably never own one unless I get an amazing deal. I prefer the challenge of getting a good photo from a crappy camera.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid to pay for quality, but i have to ask, is a Leica really $1000+ better than the competition? I'm not sure, but I have to argue that it isn't (for me, at least.) Yes, they're quiet and reliable, but I have many other cameras that have never let me down and I don't require a near-silent camera.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:06:56 PM »
Price aside, I think the great news here is New Film Camera!

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
After a serious GAS period, testing pretty much all the good stuff in 135 and 120 out there I keep the Leica M4 and the Rolleiflex 2.8c - it´s just nothing else than can compare when it comes to the feel and sensation of using them. They might not technically give the best results but in use the are so good (for me) that it makes me use them more and they are always capable of telling the story. To me that´s all the matters. Anyone with the slightest interest in quality - anything - be it tools, cars, knifes, watches - all the materialistic good stuff - owe them self to have an use a proper tuned analog Leica at some point.
The price is high but you get it back should you want to sell.
Buying one of these new ones would be investing in something to pass on to future generations, something that only gets better with use that will live on longer than any of us. Needless to say, I love my Leica  ;)
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 06:19:29 PM »

This is one of mine you should be able to get one for $500

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »
A friend loaned me an M4 2 years ago and i was hooked now i have 2, M4-2 and a 70 years anniversary M4-p in perfect condition for not much more and my friend has offered me 3.5 times what i paid for it

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
I lika my Leica. It is however a lowly M4-2. Not the same quality of an M3 or 2, yet still the forefather of all M's since. It is smooth, only my Rolleiflex is anywhere close. It has a solidity to it, and a fantastic finder. And the going rate is $500-1000. I bought mine for $700 three years ago and have never regretted it. Leica glass however is another matter, never considered it, not since M-mount Voigtländers are a much better proposition, price/performance wise.

I applaud Leica for going back to its roots. They need something heralding the iconic, rather like Land Rover are really hard put to replace the Defender without loosing their identity, Leica needs a proper M
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »
I lika my Leica. It is however a lowly M4-2. Not the same quality of an M3 or 2, yet still the forefather of all M's since. It is smooth, only my Rolleiflex is anywhere close. It has a solidity to it, and a fantastic finder. And the going rate is $500-1000. I bought mine for $700 three years ago and have never regretted it. Leica glass however is another matter, never considered it, not since M-mount Voigtländers are a much better proposition, price/performance wise.

I applaud Leica for going back to its roots. They need something heralding the iconic, rather like Land Rover are really hard put to replace the Defender without loosing their identity, Leica needs a proper M

There's nothing lowly about the M4-2 the only problem you get with it is the frame counter sticks at 34 mine has just done it quite a common problem but easilly fixed i think they put the M6 version in, if you get one try and get one after series no 1500000

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »
If I could pick up a nice-condition M4-2 for $500, I'd do it, but I can't find any bodies for less than $650-700.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »
When I say everybody I'm more leaning toward the Eric Kim type crowd. People who have money and decide to spend it on stealthy street cameras to try and be the next HCB. These are USUALLY the same people that tape up their leicas to stay "stealth", however I find that for me someones taped up camera really does attract attention and it makes it obvious they don't want to be noticed. The black M-A has no insignias or markings thus appealing to that crowd.

Francois, I don't really like black chrome. It wears crappily. Black paint is best as I like brassing.

As for the price and people questioning "is it worth it". I'm pretty sure this has been the million dollar question since leica started selling cameras. Their optics and precision command a high price.

Personally their lenses are fantastic though I haven't really dabbled with anything worth more than $1000. My IIIa, and M5 feel and work perfectly. For me my leica experience has been with gear almost twice my age. I would love to experience what a modern Leica feels like. Digital isnt for me and the MP is more than my cutoff for a new body. However, this new M is something that I could forsee myself owning, just with a bit of saving on the side.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
At that sort of price, unless you're one of those folks who absolutely love the brand, are an aficionado of the quality on offer, want the attention that wandering around with one of these babies around your neck will bring and have the disposable moolah to wedge out £3,000 for a camera body, I reckon a second-hand M4-2, M4-P, M6, M7 (etc) and a 35mm or 50mm summicron (for half the price) has to be a better option.

I've owned 3 Leica bodies in my life.  I've loved and hated them (for different reasons) but I'm convinced that so long as the camera body is sound (no light leaks, shutter is accurate, etc.) any rangefinder + top class lenses will produce better photos. Even if I were to win the Lottery, I wouldn't go for one of these; not because I don't like them but because it's just not "me".

This strikes me more as an adornment or jewellery than a camera. But that's just me.... ???

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 09:18:15 PM »
Reading all this, I'm somehow reminded of a quote by the big boss at Rolls Royce who said "Nobody needs a Rolls Royce".
I think this really applies here too. Nobody needs a Leica. Voigtlander makes good rangefinders. You can get plenty of FSU rangefinders for really cheap. You can shoot street with a Canonet or a Yashica.
These are all good rangefinders. But the Leica is just that: a Leica.
You have to want a Leica...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 10:12:37 PM »
Basically all you have to do is take the battery out of your MP

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »

But a new MP costs more, you save money on getting the new model. At least at the Oslo retailer, they price the MP £100 more than the M-A that -  let´s not forget - comes with a roll of Tri-X. 
A second hand MP can get you a serviced Black paint M4, that also comes without a metre  ;)
Or you can get a beater M6, two rolls of Tri-X and return tickets to your favourite place.     
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »

But a new MP costs more, you save money on getting the new model. At least at the Oslo retailer, they price the MP £100 more than the M-A that -  let´s not forget - comes with a roll of Tri-X. 
A second hand MP can get you a serviced Black paint M4, that also comes without a metre  ;)
Or you can get a beater M6, two rolls of Tri-X and return tickets to your favourite place.   
I don't need a ticket to get to my favourite place, I can walk to the pub:D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:17:31 PM by gsgary »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »
Owning a Leica and living in a place where I can walk to the pub are two things to which I aspire.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »
I'll never afford one, but it is good news that a new film camera with a respectable following and pedigree is going to happen.
And there may be some truth about the hipsters coming of age and having the income to buy them...

This and the news that Ferrania are restarting has made me very happy that FILM is really not going away anytime soon.

I also saw that Ilford was making a 120 pinhole camera.....Life is Good!

8) 8) 8)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 12:05:56 AM »
I agree on the "good for Leica" front, but disagree on the "good for analog photography" front. How can a $5000 camera be good for analog photography? Wouldn't a new $500 camera of good consumer quality be better? Wouldn't more people be lured into film photography if Nikon or Canon came out with a new manual camera? On the other hand, there are so many good manual cameras on the used market at or below the $500 price point, why do we need another? For that matter, there are lots of good Leicas and Hassy's out there for those with money to spare. I guess I just don't get the market. Is 'new' really that much better?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 12:27:22 AM »
I think it's a "what the market will bear" kind of situation.

Do we know what kind of study Leica did to decide to go ahead with this?

It's true the second hand market seems flush with cameras, but sometimes consumers what something new.  Perhaps this new camera will spark a trend and Nikon or Canon will take note.
But it could also be a whim....remember the Fuji folder from 2010?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out....

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 01:33:45 AM »
It would be nice to see some new film cameras from other companies, but I doubt it will happen, at least not for much less than the Leica offering. Canon hasn't done anything I'm aware of, and Nikon's only recent film cameras have been limited edition rangefinders that sell for thousands. Aside from plastic cameras from Lomography, I'm not expecting anything new without three zeros stuck on the end of the price.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 02:27:14 AM »
Leica is probably the only company who could get away with a brand new film camera with no meter for $5 grand.

If I were king of photo planet I'd build a basic M mount RF with 3 frames always showing in a nice long base .6x finder 35, 50, 90, and simplify the shutter with speeds between 1/15 and 1/1000 + B (you can't handhold below 1/15 very well anyway). A new gussied up Fed 2 if you will. Oh yeah, adjustable diopter eyepiece is a must.
Price $400 or less.
Now create 3 basic LTM lenses for it. A 35 f2.8, a 50 f2, and a 90 f4 long focus. Why LTM? Because that mount fits both screw mount and M mount bodies thus expanding the potential market. Same reason for an M mount body, they accept both LTM and M mount lenses.
Lenses are manufactured to sell for about $250 each or less.
About $1150 for a basic kit with all three lenses.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 10:33:45 AM »
You can still get new Nikon FM10, F6, Vivitar V3800N and some Voigtlander RF

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 01:16:12 PM »
You can still get new Nikon FM10, F6, Vivitar V3800N and some Voigtlander RF

Got an F6 a while back (bought second-hand with the battery grip) and it has the best meter on a film camera I've ever used.  I'm not a great one for using "P" mode but, aside from snow and night-time (where it has done a pretty decent job) I seldom need to use anything else - unless I'm shooting high or low key.

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".