Author Topic: Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip  (Read 2585 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:37:25 PM »
I went to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks last week. Only spent a total of 4.5 days there, and it was all with family. With the age range extending from 3 years old (niece) to 75 years old (Dad), we really didn't do much other than sit in a car and drive around the major roads in the two parks. If it were just me (and adventurous people my age), I'd have hiked way into the hinterlands and seen lots of wildlife, but as it was I only saw Old Faithful 20 times in a row. No matter, it was great to hang out with family and I did have a good time. Just wanted to explain why there are lots of pictures of hot springs and only 2 pictures of animals ;)

Canonet, TMax100, HC110 H 12min

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:40:49 PM by Indofunk »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 08:38:09 PM »
Minolta SR-T102, Ektachrome 50HC, tetenal C41

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:41:49 PM by Indofunk »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 08:38:54 PM »
Minolta SR-T102, Ektachrome slide dup film generously donated by our own James Harr, Tetenal C41

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:42:48 PM by Indofunk »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:26:29 PM »
Satish,

You totally killed it with these shots! Er.. that's "killed it" in the positive sense. :P I'd list my faves, but there are many. Highlights are post 1 #12, post 2 #7 and post 3 #9. Thanks for sharing these!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »
Great shots, thanks for posting. How was traffic?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 02:29:06 PM »
Thanks!

Chad, traffic was completely manageable, except in a couple of spots where they're doing construction, and in those spots it was HORRIBLE. But since it's a huge loop, you can look up where the construction is and just avoid that section (I think there was only one section that was actively under construction). Oh, and getting out of the park at sundown was a little wait too.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
Great shots, that's an amazing place.  Did you go inside Old Faithful Inn?  It's probably the most amazing log building you will ever see.  My wife and I are thinking about going in late October.  It may be a little cold and some snow but that's ok, no crowds. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »
Apparently it snowed the morning we got there! It's pretty cold up there, even now in the summer. Luckily I was prepared with 2 sweatshirts that I had to double-layer at times :) Did not go into Old Faithful Inn, but we stayed outside the park in a fake log cabin. It was pretty "rustic" looking. Kind of like 5-star rustic :D

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »
Definitely got that 50s-60s vibe going with the color and the same (but a century earlier) with the b&w.  Niiiiice!!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 09:27:45 PM »
Thanks! Although I think I'll be switching back to Tri-X. I thought that the lower contrast and more midtoney TMax would work better for landscapes, but I was wrong.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 02:31:30 PM »
Great shots Satish! That part of the states is also on my to go to list, to bad it's a 12-hour flight to get there  :(

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 03:14:48 AM »
Great shots! I especially love the b&w landscapes and mist, and the color street shots. I agree that they all feel "old" and nostalgic.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »
Satish, I really think that shots 7 & 8 of the black and whites are excellent.

What I like about # 7 is the composition as well as the fact that I cannot tell if the landscape foreground is rather small or enormous or somewhere in between until I look to the very top of the image at the background to gain a bit of a clue. It's also a bit otherworldly.

And there's something about that lone dark dead tree in the foreground of #8 juxtaposed against the light ground and sky that I find visually striking, again love the composition.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 04:53:21 PM »
Satish, I really think that shots 7 & 8 of the black and whites are excellent.

What I like about # 7 is the composition as well as the fact that I cannot tell if the landscape foreground is rather small or enormous or somewhere in between until I look to the very top of the image at the background to gain a bit of a clue. It's also a bit otherworldly.

And there's something about that lone dark dead tree in the foreground of #8 juxtaposed against the light ground and sky that I find visually striking, again love the composition.

Ha! I never thought about that! You're right, it could easily be of Grand Canyon proportions, but as you probably figured out the stream is actually only about a foot wide :) Thanks for the kind words!

Also, I hate finding dust specks after publishing a picture (like in #8), but I can never be arsed to go back and remove it and repost. I will just continue being annoyed every time I see it  ;D