Author Topic: PolypanF vs PanF+  (Read 3388 times)

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
PolypanF vs PanF+
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »
Dear filmwasters,

after quite a break here I want to post something new. I had a short exchange with Jojonas on flickr, and I told him to post my findings here and I am happy that I can do that now.

Finally I did what I had in mind since long. I bought a roll of Ilford PanF and compared it with PolypanF. The camera I used was a modified Olympus XA2, I painted the pressure plate matte black, reducing the halation.

Let aside the known differences of the PE vs acetate base and different perforation and the unknown(?) manufacturer of the Polyf, there are also some identical properties. The colour of the emulsion is absolutely the same as is the clearing time when fixing. And of course the high grade image quality of both, again not looking at the halation. If the possible halos are a bug or a feature, you decide. Sometimes I like'em, sometimes I don't. I noticed that different cameras can give different results and finally I red a note about reflective or non-reflctive pressure-plates and that it makes a difference. I have a p+s camera that produces less halation than others with the poly, and in fact the pressure plate is matte! So I decided to paint the pressure plate of my Olmpus XA2 with a dead matte paint, and voila! almost no or no halation at all is recognisable now.

So here are the results, taken with the same camera within about 5 minutes, developed in the same tank with Parodinal. The film speed is identical, same shadow detail on both, but the polypan negs are less contrasty. The longer dev times for the polypan which you can find often make sense. But not a big deal, after a small adjustment of the contrast curve the results are more or less not distinguishable from each other.

The polypan seems to be a tiny little bit less sharp, but it's not him to blame but me. I forgot to set the distance on the XA2 to infinity for this shot. When I noticed my fault, the light was completely different so I couldn't redo the it.

Now here are the samples, I upoaded them in maximum resolution, negs scanned with dslr, bellows and rodagon enlarger lens. Fyi, the 'Bauhaus' sign is white letters on red. The polypan imo is sensitized the same way as the panf.

I don't know who made the PolypanF and honestly I don't care anymore. The similarity is obvious as are the differences. But with a matted pessure plate you get a cheap film whoose results are very close to the prime film. And if you like the glow, just grab another camera with a reflective pressure plate. 2 films in one canister. That's even more than the prime film can do! No attack against Ilford, I love underdogs...... Especially when they show special qualities. Then they can be - overdogs?

Click on the images, and on the flickr site on the down-facing arrow at the right below the pic, to watch the biggest size.

Ilford PanF+:
panf by imagesfrugales, on Flickr

Polystar PolypanF:
polypanf by imagesfrugales, on Flickr

Cheers - Reinhold
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:55:33 AM by imagesfrugales »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: PolypanF vs PanF+
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
Pretty close indeed.
This is one thing I love about odd emulsions: when it's good, it's often very good indeed.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:54:09 AM »
Interesting Reinhold.

I've used and like both, but not tried them in the same format, and rarely exposed and developed in anything resembling the same regime. I have one gripe with regards to PanF+ in 120, and that is the problems with some batches with regards to blotching, have had it on all my last rolls, no matter the camera, developer etc.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
confirmed suspicions! thanks for sharing, Reinhold :) your note on sensitivity is well put
/jonas

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 10:33:29 AM »
well done! I always thought that PolypanF was a Ilford film because it says Develop in ID11... It never occured to me it's written in German  ???

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
Update PolypanF: some remaining halos with a matted pressure plate, but reduced to a great degree. The sun is in the image top right:

m-LU bhf-polyf-parod by imagesfrugales, on Flickr

My 2 boxes of bulk film are labeled 50-50 german and english. And they say: made in the EC (European community). The EC ended 2009 and was followed by the EU. So which countries were part of the EC and able to produce high quality film?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:27:01 AM by imagesfrugales »

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 03:45:44 PM »
Painting the pressure plate matte black is an interesting idea for this application, I hadn't thought of doing that. Likely because I like the Polypan glow!

I only have limited experience with the Illford so I don't have an opinion on it but I am very fond of Polypan F, I really like its qualities.