Author Topic: Analogbook - Kickstarter  (Read 949 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Analogbook - Kickstarter
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
There's been a bit of traffic on here lately relating to Kickstarter projects.  This is one to which I subscribed because I've tried (and mostly failed) many time to record the shooting data relating to anything "important" to me. I've used countless bits of paper, Moleskines and other notebooks and I'll forget an important detail and they fall by the wayside.

I can't even remember how I stumbled across this Kickstarter but it intrigued me and I've recently received my "reward" and I'm looking forward to using it.  I won't try to kid myself that I'll use it all the time, every time but I will use it for MF work so I can take some of the guesswork.  There are books for 35mm, MF, LF and darkroom.

Another benefit is that the book acts as a grey card if you need one.

Hope this is of interest and, no, I have no affiliation - personal or business - with this product, other than I like it.

http://analogbook.com/
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
Re: Analogbook - Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:00:42 PM »
Cool idea, but too expensive. For now, I use Moleskine ruled pocket cashier's journals. I can get a set of 3 shipped to my door for less than half the cost of a single analogbook. I like the idea, but the cost is too high.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:13:53 PM »
You can always use a spreadsheet and DIY...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 09:39:57 PM »
You can always use a spreadsheet and DIY...

True, but I do like the size and construction of the Moleskine (and those types of) pocket notebooks and their availability. I've been pondering a template this morning and the idea of a stamp sounds easy, but I'm not sure how large a stamp can be made. I should whip together a spreadsheet and see how small, but legible, I can make it.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
I posted about this when I first learned of it and I backed then for a complete set.

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=6917.msg87829#msg87829

Now that I have them, I find that I can't be bothered using them during street photography. I guess you just can't past yourself at times  :o  But, I have found the darkroom analogbook useful for printing sessions. Now if I want to recreate a print I'll have notes. My only gripe is that the printing of the text, lines and icons is too close in value to the background color. The type is also quite small. This makes reading the text a bit tough at times since my eyes aren't perfect.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:57:29 PM »
They probably did that so that photocopying the thing would be hard.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 01:03:52 AM »
They probably did that so that photocopying the thing would be hard.

That's exactly what it looks like. Back in the 80s when I worked at a copy shop we called that color non-repro blue.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 12:12:15 PM »
I won't be using for 35mm as (a) I won't be bothered recording details from every frame (and my F6 records it anyway  ;) ) and (b) it'd get expensive for the number of books.

However, for MF and LF, where I tend to work a lot more s l o w l y and methodically, they'll be perfect and the cost isn't prohibitive at that that level of usage.

I agree about the print being a bit lightweight colour-wise and I'll be giving feedback on that point. Probably not much of a problem in good / flat light but anything bright will make reading the text very difficult.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".