Author Topic: Lomography dreams  (Read 2931 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Lomography dreams
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
I was reading about your thoughts on the Lomo Cine film and their marketing of the "new" Agfa Precisa and I got thinking.... that's usually a bad thing  ;)
For years, I've dreamed of various products that they could make but sadly never have.

I'm now wondering: what would be your dream Lomo products?
I'm not talking about going through their catalog to write a wishlist. I'm thinking more along the lines of new non existing stuff.

It's time to let your imagination run wild!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: Lomography dreams
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »
Since when has Agfa precisa CT been new ? i bought some about 2 years ago and some more last month

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:28:36 PM »
Since when has Agfa precisa CT been new ? i bought some about 2 years ago and some more last month

There's definitely an "old" and "new" formula. I think the new formula came out 4 or 5 years ago. There's a big difference when you xpro in C41 ... the old formula comes out blue shifted and the new formula comes out yellow.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:33:51 PM »

There's definitely an "old" and "new" formula. I think the new formula came out 4 or 5 years ago. There's a big difference when you xpro in C41 ... the old formula comes out blue shifted and the new formula comes out yellow.

Can you spot the Agfa Precisa http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Competitions/Miscellaneous/i-qN2wVr7/0/XL/20140125_144146-XL.jpg

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »

It comes out nice when scanned

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:55:05 PM »
Since when has Agfa precisa CT been new ?
Since Lomography announced it this morning...

But what about new cool products?

I'd really like them to bring out an anamorphic lens or camera at a very low price. They're probably the only ones these days who could come-up with something like this.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
Since when has Agfa precisa CT been new ?
Since Lomography announced it this morning...

But what about new cool products?

I'd really like them to bring out an anamorphic lens or camera at a very low price. They're probably the only ones these days who could come-up with something like this.

Wow, I would really be into that!

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:44:35 PM »
I would like a plastic rangefinder camera with some cool lenses. Something that looks classic.

jakelovesphoto

• 35mm
  • I'm Jake and I love analog photography. I shoot 4x5, 120, 35mm, and all kinds of Polaroid.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:05 AM »
I'd like to see an improvement to their lomokino product. It takes a 35mm can. But what if you could put a BULK ROLL in?!
Using Tapatalk

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 12:12:18 AM »
I would like to see something like a 126 'instapak'. It would be 35mm film (preferably non-perf or maybe 126 single-perf) rolled up with a piece of backing paper all ready to pop into a reusable 126 cartridge. Just tape one end to the takeup spool (in the dark) and snap it into the cartridge. Easy Peasy! There are soooo many instamatics out there. Someone should bring them back to life!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Darnley

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 12:42:33 AM »
"I'd really like them to bring out an anamorphic lens or camera at a very low price".

At a low price? Are we still talkingabout Lomography?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »
Well, I mean in the non premium sense of cheap.
Have you ever checked the price of those lenses on that auction site?

On upgrading their Lomokino, it would be a good thing. Personally, I'd like it if it could use a smaller image format. If they made it work a bit like the original Double-8, it could mean that you'd get 16mm sized frames on both sides of the film. You slice it down the middle, splice it together and you could get a decent length movie.
Francois

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
While I curse Lomo for causing the torrid "110" love affair that I had -- I also think that was very cool that they did it. In retrospect they chose the wrong format to revive. While their are a few amazing 110 cameras (the Pentax Auto 110 is still one of my fave camera systems -- despite itself, haha), there are a ton more great 126 and 127 cameras out there. So I always hoped that 110 would be the start of their help in reviving other formats.

Having said that, I am doubtful that Lomo could re-introduce these formats in a manner that was affordable enough for me to add another film format to my camera set. While I could accept 110 being more expensive per frame than 35, I was harder for me to rationalize it being more expensive per frame than 120. I dont think lomo would sell 127 film (for example) for less than what it is currently selling for (~$12 bucks a roll?). So I think my dreams will stay that way.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »
I must admit I have a love / hate relationship with Lomography though it often seems more hate then love. While I like that they are encouraging a great hobby I find they often do it in such an irritating way that I think it is doing a disservice to photography. In anycase, here's my thoughts on where I'd like to see them go with their business.

I don’t have much interest in many of their current products, I wouldn’t mind some improvements to their Lomokino, as Francois and Jake have mentioned. Being able to do bulk rolls or being able to use 16mm or some flavour of 8mm would be nice. If we go in the digital realm, I’d like to see something either absolutely weird – say like some of the strange digital cameras they make in Japan – or something along the lines of these:

http://hayesurban.com/current-projects/2012/3/14/digital-super-8.html
http://re35.net/

In terms of film, other than being honest about what film is under their branded labels, I’d like to see them do what Film Photography Project does (http://filmphotographyproject.com/store) or Lance at Labeauratoire (http://www.labeauratoire.com/film/index.html ). Offer rare film, expired but interesting, rolled and ready for use in cassettes or, if there is enough of it, sold in 100ft lengths so you can roll your own.  Sell them as limited editions but ideally not rebrand the film.

Another thought I had was, and I know they sort of do this now but it seems they do it in a half-hearted way, to act as a one stop place for ALL available film currently on the market. If not all available film – maybe a better curated approach by consistently offering product that is difficult to find and not offered by any of the larger online retailers.  Again I know they do this somewhat but if they could do it more robustly I think it could be good - so if I wanted some 127 film, Impossible film, something from ORWO, Lucky film from China, 100 ft of Polypan, 110 film from Japan, & Washi 120 film – I could go to their website and order them all up. That would completely dovetail into their current business model and shouldn't be much of a stretch for them. 

If I really dream how about resurrecting  some beloved types of film from yesteryear – maybe something from Kodak or Eastern Europe.  I’d love to see 126 resurrected whether it was in some kind of DIY 126 cart with an instapak as James described or actual new cartridges. Or, and I know I'm really dreaming here, some kind of Kodachrome analogue.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
Strange, nobody thought of a Lomokino projector :)
Francois

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 11:31:16 PM »
Ah a Lomokino projector! I'd support that on Kickstarter! Maybe something along the lines of the 8mm cartridge loop projectors?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 01:04:02 AM »
I've just come up with an idea which is the opposite of what this thread is about. To wit, a typical, kitschy product that Lomo is known for and actually might be convinced to make. (And that none of us filmwasters would buy, of course ;) ) Ready? A P&S camera with a built-in ND filter (or a tinted front element, if that would work the same way) so that you can shoot wide open in bright sunlight. So we're talking a fixed aperture (2.8?), fixed focus (3ft? 6ft?) P&S with the standard 3 stops of EV (bright sun, clouds, overcast) which would have to control shutter speed. The instructions would be pretty simple: "Just load up your camera, choose your exposure based on the brightness of the scene, position your subject exactly X ft away, and then click to create the most bokelicious portraits you've ever seen!" :D

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 02:16:54 AM »
I backed the Lomography instant camera on Kickstarter and received a special backer only offer from Lomography for 40% off the Instax film that the camera uses. Great, I thought, I could save some cash. Well I compared prices and even at 40% off of Lomography's prices I could still get it cheaper at Adorama or B&H. Phooey.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 01:42:33 PM »
My Lomo "dream" is that they'll make something I actually want - i.e. a film that won't turn every colour of the rainbow and look like it's either been made badly or processed badly.

I applaud the fact that they're promoting film use but I think they have a cheek using Kickstarter to get customers / potential customers to fund their R&D - particularly if their "bonus" is to give bogus discounts on items that can readily be bought cheaper elsewhere.

I had a look at a "Belair" once. Not cheap but really crap build quality, 1/125th top shutter speed and plastic lenses...??!!  For the money, you can get a really nice second hand old 6x9 folder with a superb lens and shutter.

I wish them well, if only so that they can give their customers a quality product.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »
Anybody up for a remake of the Polaroid Bigshot? But with Instax film and an electronic flash?
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
dream? well maybe a horizon with adjustable focus
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »
That could be interesting, though probably pretty expensive to build.
Francois