Author Topic: looking into alternatives to dry mounting  (Read 1479 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
looking into alternatives to dry mounting
« on: July 26, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
I'm having a hard time sourcing dry mounting sheets locally so I'm thinking about trying the photo mount spray by 3M.
Anyone here tried it for putting up prints?

I'm not looking for pro-grade super arhival or anything
but I like that it claims to atleast be ph-neutral and I hope there'll be no immediate shrinkage that might warp the print.
another con would be if it's strong enough to hold curvy efke fiber prints, I haven't gotten to terms with print flattening yet :D
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: looking into alternatives to dry mounting
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »
I've done spray mounting and it works fine.
You can even do wet mounting. It's cheaper but a whole lot messier.

The trick to keeping mounted prints from warping out of control is to keep your old botched prints.
I know this sentence sounds weird but here's the official trick.

You mount the good print by putting glue on its back and you mount the bad print on the back of the mounting board by laying glue on the image side to hide the horror ;)

Think of it as a print sandwich with board in the center. If they're both the same paper, the forces of expansion and contraction of the front print due to humidity changes get counter balanced by the same changes on the back. This results in prints that are flatter than a pancake.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »
I've done spray mounting and it works fine.
sounds good so far :)
The trick to keeping mounted prints from warping out of control is to keep your old botched prints.
I know this sentence sounds weird but here's the official trick.

You mount the good print by putting glue on its back and you mount the bad print on the back of the mounting board by laying glue on the image side to hide the horror ;)

Think of it as a print sandwich with board in the center. If they're both the same paper, the forces of expansion and contraction of the front print due to humidity changes get counter balanced by the same changes on the back. This results in prints that are flatter than a pancake.
so I guess you mean that the front print would pull the board with it as it curves? seems like putting another print with the front onto ththe back of the board would be in the same curve but I guess it helps to hold the board in just staying in place?
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »
That's what it does.
If the front shrinks a bit, the entire board would make a concave curve towards the front. By putting a print on the back, it will shrink and expand at the same rate as the front pulling everything flat.
Francois

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
If it doesn't work, let me know and I could get some dry mounting tissue for you and send it uo north.
I also have a double sided self-adhesive tissue that I can send you, I don't use it since I've bought the Seal hot press.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »
That's what it does.
If the front shrinks a bit, the entire board would make a concave curve towards the front. By putting a print on the back, it will shrink and expand at the same rate as the front pulling everything flat.

We have been doing this in construction for years

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
If it doesn't work, let me know and I could get some dry mounting tissue for you and send it uo north.
I also have a double sided self-adhesive tissue that I can send you, I don't use it since I've bought the Seal hot press.
thanks for the offer! I'll be in touch if need be then :) might be a good oppurtunity to try them and if I can make it work (even though I have no heat press) I could look into sourcing from an international seller next time I need some.
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »
I usually do my dry mounting with a plain old cloth iron. It works just fine if you don't use water or steam.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
I've used it in the past. Always worked for me though the smell tends to hang around for some time. There used to be two types. IIRC, the red can is instant stick while the one in the blue can gave you a chance to reposition. I think the blue can one is called Spray Mount.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 03:57:31 PM »
Just don't forget when you use the spray stuff to turn the can upside-down and empty the system. If that glue hardens in the nozzle or the main tube, you're never going to get it out of there!
Francois