Author Topic: Rollei 35 for Urban  (Read 3378 times)

gsgary

• Self-Coat

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: Rollei 35 for Urban
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
Leica-itis

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »
....absolutely. The shop that's selling this is just down the road from me and I've seen it "in the flesh".  I wouldn't know what to do with it and, at that price, it would be a very expensive paper-weight.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Rollei 35 for Urban
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:10:28 PM »
Haha. Urban, sorry to have re-stoked any lust for Rolleis ;) if it is any consolation I have done it for me as well! The one thing I hate about them is that a lot of them (like that "L" brand) were built to be shelf queens! Don't worry I will not be competing for these auctions haha. (And probably will not be hunting for one for a while anyhow as I am gonna try to borrow 'mine' back for the summer).

Ps: Urban if I decide to hit the eBay auctions I will let u know so we don't drive the prices up ;) (I wonder if that would be a worthwhile thread - I wonder if us wasters have jacked prices up on each other?)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:40:52 PM by mcduff »
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 03:06:52 PM »
Um ... I think I'll pass on those auctions, too. ;) And should I ever buy one I certainly won't use eBay. I'd rather pay more and have a working camera every time. :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »
Just check out KEH.com
They seem to have a pretty nice selection at decent prices.
One with a tessar is at 162$ right now
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »
Just check out KEH.com

Or $139 if you don't want the swanky black one. Curse you Francois for making me look at KEH, haha. I was trying to NOT look there ;-)

I have only bought a couple of things from them (a couple of M645 lenses) but I thought their standards were high, and the prices were less than what things frequently sold from on ebay. Even their international shipping is not awful -- at least for canada. They would charge $30 to ship here (vs $10 within US) which I can live with.

I should probably ask this on the other Rollei thread, but since I am here: Is the "Germany vs Singapore" thing more of a snooty "collector" issue, or does anyone think it translates into a better camera? I think my old one was a Singapore camera. Granted the light metre eventually died on it, but I attributed this to more my bad behavior (tossing it into bike bags etc) than its location of manufacture.
---------------

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
This site is bad for my wallet. I think it started with the ultra-compact thread, but the end result was me buying two Rollei 35s (a 35LED for $24 and a 35 SE for $200) from that eSite. And I've recently become disenchanted with 35mm because I can't scan it well - anyone have ideas for scanning until I get a darkroom? My Epson Perfection 4990 scans 120 beautifully, but falls on its face on 35mm. I have an *old* SCSI 35mm scanner, but only have a SCSI interface on my *old* Macs (MacOS 9.x).

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
oops! I think that thread I started is bad for a lot of wallets. I hope no one is going hungry because of me!  ;)

The price for the LED is particularly crazy!! And the SE price is real good too. I can't wait to hear how they are.

I understand what you are saying about scanning. I know there are some of us out here that are V700 fans, tho I know that there are a lot of folks that claim the old film scanners are better than the new 'all in ones' but the scsi interface is hard to deal with these days. We used to have one of those polaroid scanners and it was great but it did take forever to scan. The V700 may not be as good as the best of the old scanners but I can put 24 negs (if I remember correctly) on it and get it going and forget about it!
---------------

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »
This site is bad for my wallet. I think it started with the ultra-compact thread, but the end result was me buying two Rollei 35s (a 35LED for $24 and a 35 SE for $200) from that eSite. And I've recently become disenchanted with 35mm because I can't scan it well - anyone have ideas for scanning until I get a darkroom? My Epson Perfection 4990 scans 120 beautifully, but falls on its face on 35mm. I have an *old* SCSI 35mm scanner, but only have a SCSI interface on my *old* Macs (MacOS 9.x).

I use Vuescan Pro

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »
The price for the LED is particularly crazy!! And the SE price is real good too. I can't wait to hear how they are.

The price for the LED was a pleasant surprise and made it a no-brainer for me, even if it has the "sub-par" triotar lens. This particular one looks to be in great shape and the seller said everything except light meter accuracy was tested. The SE is coming from Germany, so I'm not sure when I'll get that one, but it's an all-black version and I like the classic look of the silver/black (1st world problems, I know.)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 07:08:43 PM »

The price for the LED was a pleasant surprise and made it a no-brainer for me, even if it has the "sub-par" triotar lens. This particular one looks to be in great shape and the seller said everything except light meter accuracy was tested. The SE is coming from Germany, so I'm not sure when I'll get that one, but it's an all-black version and I like the classic look of the silver/black (1st world problems, I know.)

Taken with the sub par triotar aperture wide open @1/30

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »
I use Vuescan Pro

I bought Vuescan, but I actually prefer the Epson software. Software isn't my issue, however, it's the quality of the scans coming from the flatbed.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 07:11:23 PM »
awesome pics, from a "sub par" lens, hahahahahahahaha

(I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei...)

Well, not this weekend ;)
---------------

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 07:11:52 PM »
The ones above are from the Epson V500

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 07:12:07 PM »
Taken with the sub par triotar aperture wide open @1/30

Yes, those are nice-looking shots. I don't personally believe the triotar lens to be sub-par, but some do, and that was the reason for the quotation marks. ;)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »
awesome pics, from a "sub par" lens, hahahahahahahaha

(I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei, I will NOT start hunting for a rollei...)

Well, not this weekend ;)

go on get one this weekend, here's some more to change your mind

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 09:27:39 PM »
I generally shy away from buying stuff from outside of the EU due to the very efficient German customs office :-\ But then Ffordes has a nice selection of Rolleis, too: http://www.ffordes.co.uk/category/Film_Cameras/Compacts/Rollei ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »
As long as you don't get your stuff delivered by DHL ;)

DHL shenanigans
Francois

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 10:42:53 PM »
I generally shy away from buying stuff from outside of the EU due to the very efficient German customs office :-\ But then Ffordes has a nice selection of Rolleis, too: http://www.ffordes.co.uk/category/Film_Cameras/Compacts/Rollei ;D
Ffordes are top class I have bought lots from them

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 06:47:36 AM »
Just check out KEH.com

Or $139 if you don't want the swanky black one. Curse you Francois for making me look at KEH, haha. I was trying to NOT look there ;-)

I have only bought a couple of things from them (a couple of M645 lenses) but I thought their standards were high, and the prices were less than what things frequently sold from on ebay. Even their international shipping is not awful -- at least for canada. They would charge $30 to ship here (vs $10 within US) which I can live with.

I should probably ask this on the other Rollei thread, but since I am here: Is the "Germany vs Singapore" thing more of a snooty "collector" issue, or does anyone think it translates into a better camera? I think my old one was a Singapore camera. Granted the light metre eventually died on it, but I attributed this to more my bad behavior (tossing it into bike bags etc) than its location of manufacture.

Hard to say. I've held a German version, but not shot with it. I have a Singapore 35S and love it.

I think it's more a Sonnar/Tessar/Triotar thing. The Sonnar is nice, but (I think) shows the front-focus issue which makes it a little harder to scale focus reasonably open (which, you know, you kinda wanna do sometimes with a Sonnar). I see a ton of nice monochromes with the Tessar, and I'd love to have one with a Triotar myself. I'd like to think I'd be a happy camper if I always had a triplet in my pocket. Plus, I'm always paranoid I'm going to drop or smash mine. Without a neck strap, I feel like it always wants to be held or put away, nothing in between.

My light meter works, but on the 35S the battery is on the inside, so mine is almost always dead. I didn't replace it last time. I just sunny/16 it, use the force, or use Francois' light meter. :) I did just pick up a Canon FTb (original version) which uses the same battery, so now I have another use for all the 675-size hearing aid batteries and little o-rings floating around the bottom of my bits and pieces box. I like the Wein cells, but they're pricey.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »
As long as you don't get your stuff delivered by DHL ;)

DHL shenanigans
haha wow :D
I got a tip here to never ship with dhl during july to beginning of august because they take in the summer workers by then and no ones teaches them anything. lots of packages get lost too apparently.
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 03:02:40 PM »
Here, it's Purolator that's to be avoided...
I know a guy who called in to have a package picked-up. The delivery guy showed-up one month and a half later!
That's what I call slowey delivery. Would have been faster to walk to Toronto than have it shipped.
Francois