Author Topic: Help! Where is this light coming from?  (Read 818 times)

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Help! Where is this light coming from?
« on: July 24, 2014, 10:24:59 PM »
Clearly I have ultra-compact cameras on the brain these days and have decided to figure out what is causing an unwanted light source in my Voigtlander Vito C (aka Balda CA 35 aka minox clone). Esp since I have decided it is my fave.

Originally I thought it was a "light leak" but I really do not think it is what I consider a light leak: It is one spot that always in the same place on the negative, and is concentrated in that area. It seems to only happen if the sun is in front of the camera. I would expect a typical light leak to be fogging the film or at least make a streak across the film. It also seems consistent regardless of how long that piece of film is in that spot. For example I take three shots in quick succession in similar considitions and all three shots have the same defect. IE I think the light is coming through the shutter.

Here is a typical pic (flipped about so that it is how the neg would be sitting on the camera:

ellipsoidal object in the upper left of the image at the base of the tree. This is another pic that is orriented correctly

Here is the camera, with a yellow lasso around the area that the trouble is happening (and a yellow arrow pointing at it).

Now there is that brass screw that is rather shiny in the bottom right. I might put a little piece of black tape on it and see if that is the culprit. IT is possible that it had a little cap on it that has bounced out. Any other ideas??

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: Help! Where is this light coming from?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:34:13 PM »
Have you scanned it ? could be the scanner

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:42:27 PM »
When you load the camera next time you could tape all joints on the back of the camera, have a look at the seals on back of camera and door, i also noticed the viewfinder is above where you have marked could be getting in there

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »
There is also a shiny gear on the left. I might try flocking the inside with some self-adhesive camera flocking. It did wonders for my 124G. You might also try just opening the shutter (is there a B setting?) and putting your eye there where the flare is occurring to see if anything is particularly shiny. If not then it is more likely coming from the back seals.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:29:27 PM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »
It reminds me of a problem I have with an Action Sampler I have.
Out of the four images, one always had an off flare in it. I tried adding hockey tape to the shiny surfaces of the chamber (which is very tiny I should say) to no avail.
I eventually narrowed it down to a small lens defect...

If you put film in the camera and use a very strong light very close to it and then advance the film in the dark, I bet you won't see the problem!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.