Author Topic: "Film Camera in TV Ad" shocker  (Read 2973 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
"Film Camera in TV Ad" shocker
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:15:26 PM »
I sit all day at work in London staring at a screen about 10 metres away which shows Sky News 24 all bl**dy day with the sound turned off. This is distracting at the best of times, but today I looked up during a commercial break and saw a clip featuring a man clearly loading 35mm film into an SLR. Fair freaked me out. I tried to catch what the advert was about, but the best I could work out (no volume remember) was that it seemed to be a commercial for Poland...yea, the country. Anyone seen this?

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: "Film Camera in TV Ad" shocker
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:40:12 PM »
Never seen that one (I'm on the other side of the pond, which may explain that fact), but there was a commercial running frequently here a while back that featured a young girl walking around with a baby Rolleiflex. The narration talked about recalling shooting pictures with it and developing the film with her (father? grandfather?). It was not a commercial for cameras, film, or anything else to do with photography; precisely what it was for, I can't recall.

I seem to recall another commercial with a couple in a city where the guy was carrying a Super 8 camera of some sort, and a couple years ago there was one with some variant of Brownie TLR being tossed around by a bunch of annoying hipsters in then-trendy clothes.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Terry

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:58:05 PM »
I recall a (non) commercial for PBS TV here that featured a girl in an attic finding a TLR and shooting with it--something to do with carrying on traditions or the like.  Gave me a warm feeling...

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:18:25 AM »
Never seen that one (I'm on the other side of the pond, which may explain that fact), but there was a commercial running frequently here a while back that featured a young girl walking around with a baby Rolleiflex. The narration talked about recalling shooting pictures with it and developing the film with her (father? grandfather?). It was not a commercial for cameras, film, or anything else to do with photography; precisely what it was for, I can't recall.
Like a lot of adverts in the states something pharmaceutical I presume.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 02:06:57 AM »
There was a recent commercial here in the States for a pharmaceutical with a young girl holding a Kodak Instamatic and pressing the shutter button repeatedly like there was some sort of rapid autowind in there. I find it mildly irritating that the director, who should know *something* about cameras would let that shot into the final cut.

Speaking of the 126 format though, I am bidding on a Yashica EZ-Matic 4. Can't wait to get some squares out of it!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 02:34:26 AM »
Oh the Yashica EZ-Matic 4... Very stylish.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:36:19 AM »
What struck me about this advert (I saw it again today) is that it's not playing the retro card. It's an ad about looking forward. It features a modern looking 35mm SLR with a few frames given over to explicitly showing that camera has film in it.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:39:20 AM »
I haven't found the commercial itself yet, but here's a link from the Polish consulate Web site about the campaign: http://edinburgh.mfa.gov.pl/en/c/MOBILE/news/polska__spring_into

UPDATE: I found it and with the voice over the photography angle becomes clear. Good to see the photographer still uses film  ;) 8)

http://youtu.be/umDOHnTQdFo
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:43:02 AM by Ed Wenn »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »
We went to see a (truly rubbish IMO) film called "Grace of Monaco" last weekend.  The only bit that almost shook me out of my torpor was a scene where the assembled press photogs were shooting away with various press cameras, TLRs, Leicas, etc.  It only lasted a few seconds and it's definitely not worth going to see movie for the sake of it - but it was a definite oasis in a desert as far as the rest of the drama was concerned...
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 09:16:51 AM »
Wow! You went to see GoM, Paul? How the heck did the stink surrounding that movie not make it onto your radar before you chose to go? Not that I'm generally too swayed by critics reviews and what have you, but I'd heard from all quarters how bad that film is. It's good to have you seal it for me though. Definitely no GoM for me  ;)

And before anyone points out that stink doesn't show up on radar I'll cop to the broken logic of my prose. The things we say for LOLs,eh!  8) ;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 12:12:34 PM »
Wow! You went to see GoM, Paul? How the heck did the stink surrounding that movie not make it onto your radar before you chose to go? Not that I'm generally too swayed by critics reviews and what have you, but I'd heard from all quarters how bad that film is. It's good to have you seal it for me though. Definitely no GoM for me  ;)

And before anyone points out that stink doesn't show up on radar I'll cop to the broken logic of my prose. The things we say for LOLs,eh!  8) ;D

The "stink" was heard, seen and smelled in glorious Technicolor (how's that for a mixed metaphor ?) well before we went to see it.  In my defence, I was only following orders - Lara's orders - not to be messed with when there's a crap film to be seen  :o

Had it been my choice, I'd rather have stayed at home and painted my toenails....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 04:38:11 AM »
There was a recent commercial here in the States for a pharmaceutical with a young girl holding a Kodak Instamatic...

ELIQUIS TV Commercial
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter