Author Topic: 2014 Postcard Exchange  (Read 49681 times)

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
Re: 2014 Postcard Exchange
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2014, 04:59:31 PM »
Well that was fast!

Blimey that's less than 3 days from UK to Canada! Glad you like it Francois
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »
Mine should be there Monday going by Pauls

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
Well that was fast!

Blimey that's less than 3 days from UK to Canada! Glad you like it Francois
I'm really surprised to see how fast it went. Just as a comparison, the lens I recently got took 5 days to make it 400km...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2014, 10:59:59 PM »
Sent mine out today and was rewarded by finding my first two arrivals in my mailbox when I arrived home. Paul's wonderful pinhole shot and Zapsnaps' beautiful image. Both great. Thanks guys! I can't wait to see all the rest.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »
I'm going to mount all I receive on one board and have it framed and hang it in my hall

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »
I got to say a massive thanks to Gary. I received his big postcard today when I got home from work, it's a lovely image from the dales. I have to say the standard of the two cards I have received to date has set the bar so high, I'm wondering what yet to come.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
I got to say a massive thanks to Gary. I received his big postcard today when I got home from work, it's a lovely image from the dales. I have to say the standard of the two cards I have received to date has set the bar so high, I'm wondering what yet to come.
Thankyou for your kind words but I need to improve for next time

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2014, 07:36:55 PM »
Got the first two postcards from Paul Mitchell and David Salisbury in the mail today, Unfortunatly the postal service made a mark on Paul's pinhole postcard. Beautiful work from both gentlemen!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
I also got Paul's great pinhole image. Thank you! And today I sent out mine.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2014, 12:13:29 AM »
Got a very beautiful and delicate still-life from Shaun Harvey today.  Mostly monochrome with just a hint of colour and multiple exposures to hint at movement. One of the finest photos I've seen. Just gorgeous. Thank you Shaun.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2014, 02:05:49 AM »
David S.'s beautiful postcard made it all the way to the Left Coast of the US today. Thanks David. Mine will go in the post on Monday.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »
I came back from vacation yesterday to find a lovely print from zapsnaps. Thank you!

I'm addressing my postcards today and will drop them in the mail tomorrow.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2014, 08:12:14 PM »
I will be receiving my postcards from the printer today and will be sending them out to both lists this week. I didn't originally intend to send to both lists, so if I'm not on your list, expect one from me anyways.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »
Lovely postcards arrived today!
I must get busy!!!!
 8)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »
Harvey's subtle, pretty shot arrived today!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2014, 02:50:33 AM »
Three cards today!  ;D I think this is one of the coolest exchanges I have ever participated in.

Thanks to Paul M., Adam Doe, and Shaun Harvey. Wonderful cards all.

James
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »
Thanks to Urban for his lovely berries postcard

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2014, 04:22:26 PM »
I just put mine in the mail this morning.  I started having second thoughts after receiving my first one from Paul yesterday, amazing photo and very well done card.  Mine will definitely not measure up to that but I hope everyone enjoys them.  They are all one of a kind original Polaroids.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »
I just put mine in the mail this morning.  I started having second thoughts after receiving my first one from Paul yesterday, amazing photo and very well done card.  Mine will definitely not measure up to that but I hope everyone enjoys them.  They are all one of a kind original Polaroids.

I know what you mean! I got home last night and found three cards from Adam, Paul, and Shaun. Started feeling inadequate  :o  I do like the image I chose but wish I could have done them myself. The cards themselves are a bit flimsier than I would have liked, and I will explore better ways of printing (if I can't do them myself) for next year.

But none of that stopped the excitement of dropping all of mine in the mail today! It's like Christmas - I get just as excited about giving the gifts as I do about getting them  ;D And I hope y'all like stamps, because I insisted on actual stamps instead of the machine, so you will have a collection of them on your cards!
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »
I just got Gary's beautiful poetry in my mailbox this morning. Nice :)
Francois

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2014, 09:06:28 PM »
Just received my first postcard, David Salisbury (zapsnaps)!

I said to my wife, "I wonder why he put it in an envelope? [rips paper] Oh!" :)

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
I received two yesterday and one today. I also made the trip to the post office today to send mine out, so everyone on both lists will be receiving a postcard from me. I'm glad I went to the post office instead of buying postage for what I estimated, I would have paid almost double!  :o

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2014, 10:55:58 PM »

I know what you mean! I got home last night and found three cards from Adam, Paul, and Shaun. Started feeling inadequate  :o  I do like the image I chose but wish I could have done them myself. The cards themselves are a bit flimsier than I would have liked, and I will explore better ways of printing (if I can't do them myself) for next year.

But none of that stopped the excitement of dropping all of mine in the mail today! It's like Christmas - I get just as excited about giving the gifts as I do about getting them  ;D And I hope y'all like stamps, because I insisted on actual stamps instead of the machine, so you will have a collection of them on your cards!

I know what you mean that you know what he means! (or something like that) I had mine printed by an outside company for this and the previous exchanges and though they did a pretty good job I am determined to print them myself for the next postcard exchange, dammit. Ive ordered some Ilford Postcard paper in anticipation of the 2015 exchange.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2014, 12:59:20 AM »

I know what you mean that you know what he means! (or something like that) I had mine printed by an outside company for this and the previous exchanges and though they did a pretty good job I am determined to print them myself for the next postcard exchange, dammit. Ive ordered some Ilford Postcard paper in anticipation of the 2015 exchange.

This is exactly why I wanted to be part of this, and why I'll surely sign up next year, too. Seeing everyone's creativity and the quality of work inspires me, and it also motivates me to up my game, to push myself a little more to experiment or learn something new so that I'll have something better to offer in return.
Leonore

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2014, 07:29:21 AM »
I got 3 postcards already from David, Paul and Shaun.  :) I love the diversity of the work and each card is standing out in its own way.
Put mine in the mail the day before yesterday. Unfortunately I still have no darkroom, so I had to use a comercial print service as well.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2014, 07:50:24 AM »
What I find interesting about the recent comments is that after I outed myself as having no darkroom and would therefore be sending commercial prints, I noticed so many other FWs say that they have no darkroom either. Thank guys & gals - I now feel less darkroom-deprived. Reading other threads, especially the weekend ones, I thought that I was some sort of imposter on here  for dropping my 120 in the post rather than my morning coffee. Having said that, as soon as the darkroom is set up, I'm going to try paper in coffee. The prints I've seen on here look wonderful.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
Just received two superb cards from Harvey & Peter, cheers guys!

Paul

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2014, 02:11:44 PM »
What I find interesting about the recent comments is that after I outed myself as having no darkroom and would therefore be sending commercial prints, I noticed so many other FWs say that they have no darkroom either. Thank guys & gals - I now feel less darkroom-deprived. Reading other threads, especially the weekend ones, I thought that I was some sort of imposter on here  for dropping my 120 in the post rather than my morning coffee. Having said that, as soon as the darkroom is set up, I'm going to try paper in coffee. The prints I've seen on here look wonderful.

David, I haven't had a darkroom since leaving Stockport in 1988. And, yes I miss not having one.  Hell, come to think of it, I don't even develop my own negatives at the moment. My process is a real hybrid of film exposure and scanning - then processing the TIFF or JPEG in Lightroom4.  There are times when I seriously question whether there's enough "film" involvement in what I do to remain part of the FW fraternity.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2014, 05:36:24 PM »
Wonderful card from Paul M. Received on Monday the 11th.  Seems mail is getting faster.Shipped a package to Devon on the 31st of July and arrived the 8th of August.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »
Wonderful card from Paul M. Received on Monday the 11th.  Seems mail is getting faster.Shipped a package to Devon on the 31st of July and arrived the 8th of August.
Has mine made it to you yet ?

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2014, 08:59:48 PM »
I got a postcard pic of lovely colourful berries in my letter box today- many thanks Urban

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2014, 02:28:16 PM »
Just received two superb cards from Manuel and Adam.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
I've just come home to a lovely postcard from Shaun

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2014, 11:21:15 PM »
Went away for a couple of days came home today found two lovely postcard from Manuel and Shaun in the mail, very professionally done guys!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2014, 02:08:07 AM »
Received Jharr's awesome card today. After reading, on the back, the description of the processes involved I can rest assured that he doesn't suffer from laziness.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2014, 03:35:52 AM »
... I can rest assured that he doesn't suffer from laziness.

Thanks Adam. My wife might disagree as not a single chore got done for the two weekends I spent printing.  :P
Flickr
Blogger

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »
Bloody hell. I got an absolutely BE-YOU-TIFUL postcard through the door last night from Harvey (Shawn). It's utterly glorious and ticks all of my boxes...who'd have thunk it from a still life photo of some tulips? Fantastic job, sir!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »
I just got a nice card from Urban with one the back what could be a great start for a novel ;) (nudge nudge)
Francois

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2014, 07:28:11 PM »
Good Lord, glad the tulips have found favour and I made the right choice. Thanks very much.

Big thanks to Paul M, Manuel, Adam, Peter S, and David (Zapsnaps) for your cards, all superb, all different approaches and styles and all the reasons why I wanted another exchange. It's the ultimate camera club.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »
Woot! Two more from jharr and chad! Thank you! Gorgeous prints, both of them. Love the textures.
Leonore

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2014, 10:35:42 PM »
I've been away, so am behind schedule. And now my PC died on me, disk crashed and all. Will take a while before I can get mine printed. :(
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2014, 03:15:05 PM »
Yesterday must have been polaroid day as I received Leonore's wonderful work and Chad's great shot. Terrific postcards, both.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »
I'm glad mine started reaching their destinations, I was worried that the post office lied to me about the postage required.  :D

I was going for the classic postcard look/feel and feel pretty good about it, but I'm thinking I should have used the Neopan version that I hadn't developed at the time I ordered.  Also, when I ordered, I didn't bother to check their dimensions for what they call oversized, so I apologize in advance for the size.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2014, 09:45:39 PM »
Got cards from Leonore and Chad. Wonderfully different polaroids!
Flickr
Blogger

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2014, 10:15:49 PM »
Todays mail brought Peter's terrific Olympus Trip work.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2014, 11:23:02 PM »
I'm glad mine are reaching people too :)

I was excited to check the mail today, which sadly I haven't felt in who knows how many years. I'm old enough to remember when letters were still common and there's still a little dusty part of my brain that thinks, "Maybe there will be a letter!" Alas, these days it's only bills and junk mail.

But not today!  ;D Two more cards, a great street shot from Peter and a lovely pinhole from Manuel! Woot!

That brings the total up to 8 so far. I'm starting to think of ways to display them all in a nice creative way.
Leonore

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2014, 03:25:52 PM »
Just a quick thanks to James and Leonore for two superb cards - loving the fact all these cards are so different from each other!

Paul

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »
Managed to salvage a scan and have it sent for printing. So hopefully I can send out mine in a week´s time.

I have so for got cards from Paul, Gary, Urban and Shaun. All very different, and I cherish them very much. Thank you.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »
Just received Chad's fabulous FP 3000B of the Boise Depot - it looks like a movie still. I love it
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
Thanks! Glad to see they're making it across the pond.

Edit: the sole inhabitant of my mailbox today was a beautiful postcard from Manuel!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:37:13 PM by thatguychad »