Author Topic: Talk to me about HP5+  (Read 3063 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Talk to me about HP5+
« on: May 23, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
As I noted in another thread, the price of bulk Tri-X is now up to $100/100ft, making it essentially worthless to buy in bulk, as the price is no different than pre-rolled. I could live with this begrudgingly (I'd likely just buy the factory rolled stuff), but adding salt to the wound is the fact that HP5+ is only $60/100ft (FP4+ is $56, and Pan F+ is only $51!). When the difference was only $10 or so (Tri-X was at $70 for a long time) it wasn't a big deal, but now it is. This is a long way of saying I'm seriously considering switching over, at least for regular use.

So, tell me your thoughts on HP5+ vs. Tri-X, and specifically, your experiences developing it in Caffenol. I finally got my Tri-X developing routine pegged only to have this happen; getting HP5+ to work well in Caffenol is a key factor in this decision.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Talk to me about HP5+
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
Well, HP5 was considered for a long time as the British Tri-X.
I haven't done caffenol on it, but I did mistreat it quite a bit and it delivers.
The base is a bit foggier than Tri-X (or my roll was very expired, I don't know since it came inside the bulk loader). Grain is nice.
I've pushed it to 1200 with no problem. I've processed it in super concentrate HC-110, regular Dil.B, I think I might have also done PQ Universal.
It's a nice film. Pretty scratch resistant too.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 03:59:34 AM »
I've noticed a bit of base fog on FP4+, so that it would be present on HP5+ as well is not surprising. I tend to shoot at box speed most of the time, but it's nice to know it can be pushed a bit.

From what I've read, it's similar to Tri-X but somewhat lower contrast. The only Caffenol information I can find is for a two stop push, which doesn't really help me a lot. Hopefully some of the coffee gurus here will chime in with more info, otherwise I guess I'll be experimenting.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 08:07:43 AM »
I don't know about Caffenol, but I do recall a warning that HP5+ in Rodinal produces grain resembling rat's porridge.  And that was pretty much my experience too, so I'd only use it with a fast developer.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
OK, further searching yielded an old thread here where there were a few recommendations for HP5+ using C-H(RS) @ 20C for 15min, so that will be my baseline. If the grain is too big, I'll see what else can be done. I'm sticking with Caffenol exclusively for a few reasons, so here's hoping I can get decent results.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 01:51:49 AM »
Just to follow up on this, I ran a short test roll and developed it as planned: C-H(RS) @ 20C for 15min. Grain does not appear to be excessive, so that will be my basic development scheme for this film. Here's an example so you can see for yourself (I suppose I should have done a 100% crop at high scanning resolution, but I didn't, so this will have to do).

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 03:13:51 AM »
Wow, impressive! HP5 has only given me very midtoney, grainy negs. I like your contrasty, non-grainy shot, so I'd say C-H(RS) is the way to go!

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:24:59 AM »
of course what you get out of development depends a lot on the lens and your settings - not to mention chemistry & dev time & technique.

I've used HP5+ extensively, developing @ 400 as well as pushing and pulling.  On a Zeiss Super Ikonta, here's one pushed to 3200.

And another using a Leica M7 with a rokkor 40mm @400.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:43:38 AM by gregor »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:52 AM »
That shot was with my Canon P and Canon 50/1.5, wide open at 1/1000.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »
I've used it and really like it.  It seems very flexible, if a little grainier than XP2 Super - but that might be more down to the chemistry than the film. 

However, as I don't currently develop my own, I've got used to using XP2 Super.  However, I'm about to restart developing my own and will be comparing / contrasting with XP2 Super and Delta 400 to see which I like best.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 06:35:37 PM »
I don't know about Caffenol, but I do recall a warning that HP5+ in Rodinal produces grain resembling rat's porridge.  And that was pretty much my experience too, so I'd only use it with a fast developer.

Here's some rats porridge or should i say HP5 in Rodinal stand developed in the fridge

and this is HP5 shot at iso800 stand developed in Rodinal

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:37:39 PM by gsgary »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 06:38:09 PM »
I cant comment on coffee nol , but HP5+ is my go to film. I love it. Use a fine grain developer ... perceptol is great, or I use pyrocat, over expose it by a stop or so, it is wonderful in MF or LF. I wasnt keen on 35mm though.

L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
some examples?

that will do for now :) Fantastic film when treated properly.
L.

Jon Butler

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »
Must agree with Leon, I too use it 200iso and dev in Pyrocat. My favourite film for MF & LF  it's so easy to use.
J.
JON BUTLER - CREATIVE IMAGERY

I Prefer it in the Dark.   http://real-silver-prints.com/

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 01:17:08 AM »
Just developed the first couple of full rolls in Caffenol-C-H (RS). Overall looks good but a bit underexposed, but then I shot at box speed. Looks like I'll be better off shooting it at 200.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »
I have had only positive experience with the film.

Minolta Freedom Tele, Ilford HP5+, developed in stock D76.

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!