Author Topic: 127 Film  (Read 2102 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
127 Film
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »
Anyone out there still use 127 film? Where would I get some in the UK / Europe?

I know it's possible to cut down 120 to 127 but that's definitely not what I'm after.  I understand that Efke / Maco used to produce the stuff (and may still do for all I know) and I've heard that Rollei make some weird colour shift version.  Again, I'd just be after a regular supply of decent, in-date 127 mono film. I can live with anything up to 400 ISO.

The reason?? I've been offered a baby, grey Rolleiflex T in stunning condition and at a very tempting price.  However, it's pointless unless there's ammo available for it.

Advice welcome....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Terry

Re: 127 Film
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 05:54:35 PM »
Paul,
Excellent news!  I'm envious.  I still love shooting with my Yashica 44.  Mostly, though, I like the 4x4 format--it almost gets up to 6x6 in image quality but the cameras are very small, portable and unobtrusive.  I use mine for street shots because nobody who looks at me thinks I'm taking a photo.  (Unless they're over 50!)

I bought up a bunch of Efke 100 when I heard they were stopping it, and when B&H had a batch of that Rollei Crossbird stock I bought more than a little of that.  Also, when Ilford did its weird-format run last year I bought 50 feet of Hp5 in 46mm.  And I got a 100-foot roll of Portra NC a while ago on ebay.  Also there's a guy in Canada who loads Portra on 127 spools and calls it 'Bluefire Murano'.  You can buy that from The Frugal Photographer or from Blue Moon Camera, both in North America though.  There are probably some European dealers too.

So I religiously save the backing papers and spools and I've done some spooling in a dark bag that (amazingly) worked well.  I've got occasional access to a darkroom at work and am planning to load up a dozen or so rolls of the HP5 one day soon.

127 is eminently do-able with a bit of patience.  You don't have to resort to cutting down 120 but that's a viable option if all else fails.
Here's one from the Yashica on Crossbird:
img435P par Terry B, on ipernity
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:01:14 PM by Terry »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »
Lovely photo, Terry, and I can understand the attraction of the size / format.  However, I am definitely not a "roll your own" sort of photographer. 

I have no real problem with out of date film so long as it delivers a decent result but I'm also sufficient of a control freak to get mightily p*ssed if I've spent £100 on 10 rolls of expired (insert name of favourite film here) and it ends up looking nothing like it should.  That's my idea of photographic hell.

Reading between the lines of your reply, it doesn't sound like there's a ready supply of fresh film in current production anywhere local to me.  However, I will check out the Canadian supplier you mentioned, especially if Portra 160 / 400 is available.  Otherwise, I already have a Rollei 2.8e with which I'm more than happy. 

Thanks for the info - I'd love to report the acquisition on the "I've just picked up" thread...... 8)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:54:13 PM »
There's a thread on RFF indicating that Maco is going to have new production of RPX 100 in 127 format running in the first half of this year. How accurate that timetable will prove to be is an open question. Here's the thread: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140513
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
There's a thread on RFF indicating that Maco is going to have new production of RPX 100 in 127 format running in the first half of this year. How accurate that timetable will prove to be is an open question. Here's the thread: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140513

Hope the reports turn out to be true as it looks like a great medium with quite a few devotees in search of film to keep them going.  If I can get the baby Rolleiflex at the right price it might just be worth a punt.....

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
I purchased a Baby Grey Rollei on a whim (passed the shop, saw it, bought it) about the time that Efke stopped producing 127 film. But I did manage to buy about 15 rolls of expensive Efke 100 mono film, and the afore-mentioned Bluefire Murano. At the current rate of use this will easily last me until the RPX100 becomes available in 127 format.

Examples of my 127 images are here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=33186310@N03&q=127

It is worth stating that Efke film is hellishly curly and this does limit the enjoyment of it's use.

My Baby Rollei does need a service but I'm waiting for the RPX to materialise before I make that investment.

Terry

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:14:27 PM »
I forgot to mention that Ferrania are planning to produce 127.  Is that the stuff Maco will be stocking, or from another manufacturer?

And another thing: if you decide not to buy the baby, would you let me know...?

PPS: I see that Maco are selling Rollei Nightbird in 127
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:20:07 PM by Terry »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »
I know I've used some Rollei 100 ISO film in B&W and it's pretty nice. Too bad it's sooooo expensive, especially when you use it in a stereo camera that yields only four images per roll.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Darnley

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 12:40:12 AM »
Ilford ran some special order 127 HP5 in fifty foot rolls last year. Maybe this year as well? Of course, you would have to spool it yourself.