Author Topic: The New Croton Dam  (Read 2152 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
The New Croton Dam
« on: April 04, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »
"New" is a relative term here, given that the dam was completed in 1906. It's an enormous thing that now dominates a park at the base and a trailhead leading south along the old aqueduct. It's one of my go-to places for camera testing, and I take a bike along the aqueduct trail every now and again. It gets busy in the summer, but in the colder months it's usually pretty empty. So, with my trusty Pentax SFX and new-to-me SMC-M 200/4 lens, I wandered about to see how the longer-than-normal focal length would change the way I saw a place with which I am already quite familiar. The results, I thought, were interesting, and if nothing else demonstrated that the lens is remarkably good.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: The New Croton Dam
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
Great photos, I hope nobody was in the boat in the 5th picture when it ended up there. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »
Thanks. I'm sure the boat was unoccupied - the reservoir has been frozen solid for months; no doubt it's just one of the hundreds tied up in the woods nearby that broke loose during a period of high water and floated down the spillway (well, part of the way down, at least).
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 09:28:01 PM »
A wonderful essay that 'new' lens sits just fine on the camera

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 08:57:12 AM »
Great set of images, i really like the compositions. Yup i think that lens does the business, well done.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 01:08:05 PM »
Thanks very much. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 07:29:10 PM »
I really love that first one :)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 02:10:16 AM »
Thanks. The spillway was running pretty hard that day, but that was the only angle where I could really capture it with the long lens. It's quite an impressive thing during the spring thaw, especially when you're standing on the bridge above it or the bridge below it. The spray will hit you a good 100ft away from it (nice place to be in the summer heat).

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
I really love that first one :)

ditto