Author Topic: Hot linking from iPernity  (Read 4227 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Hot linking from iPernity
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:36:51 AM »
If you have looked at the 'flickr' thread recently, you will know that I am having trouble with my Flickr account so I cannot link anything but the original size. That's frustrating, but at least they admitted to me that it is a bug and there is a ticket open for it. I have no idea what their SLA on things like this is, so it could be at the bottom of a big stack of bug reports. So anyway, being the computer nerd that I am, I figured there HAS to be a way. So I went over to my iPernity account and guess what... you can't hot link from there unless you are a paying member!! Right-click and "Copy Image URL" or "Copy link address" and all you get is a tiny black square gif. So what am I to do? Chrome to the rescue!!!! You might have to install the developer plug-in, but that's easy. Then when you right click the photo, you have this magical menu item called "Inspect Element". It is designed for developers to look at the web code. What you want to look at specifically is the CSS, so select the "Elements" item at the upper left of the window that pops up at the bottom of your screen. In there you will find the actual url of the image. Right click that and choose "Copy link address" then insert an image into your post as usual with the little Mona Lisa button, or just type the code:
Code: [Select]
[img][/img]and then paste your url in between the img tags. Voila!! Problem solved!! FOR FREE ;D

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Terry

Re: Hot linking from iPernity
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:55:38 PM »
So, I have a paid-up Ipernity account and when I click the "options" dropdown there is a "share" option.  If I click this I get three lines of HTML code.  Would I be right in thinking that I can insert this into the appropriate space in the filmwasters page and I'll get my Ipernity image?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 02:24:27 PM »
So, I have a paid-up Ipernity account and when I click the "options" dropdown there is a "share" option.  If I click this I get three lines of HTML code.  Would I be right in thinking that I can insert this into the appropriate space in the filmwasters page and I'll get my Ipernity image?

I don't think so. You need bbcode (bulletin board code) which is different than HTML. Flickr used to have an option to choose this instead of HTML. Photobucket definitely has this option. But really all you need is the url of the image (starts with http:// and ends with .jpg). Then you can surround it with image brackets as seen in my original post. That will get you where you are going.

Here is a decent guide to bbcode. Wikipedia - BBCode
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 07:44:41 AM »
Oh! THANKYOU jharr. This has been an issue for me since I tx'd to ipernity a few weeks ago.
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »
Yep, just to confirm that you can't embed HTML tags in posts on the Filmwasters forum. You will either need BBC code you'll just have to 'roll your own' as it were and use the IMG tags as described above by JHARR. It's really not a difficult thing to do though.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »
Switched to ipernity from Flickr today and imported my images.

From the first test roll of Shanghai GP3 in my newest acquisition - Pentacon Six with Biometar 80mm f2.8.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:59:35 PM by Fluminian »
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Very nice! Now wrap the img tags inside a set of url tags:
[url=http://ipernity-link-goes-here][img]http://image-link-goes-here][/img][/url]
Then when we click your beautiful photo, it will take us to the iPernity site where we can see your photos full size.
Flickr
Blogger

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Very nice! Now wrap the img tags inside a set of url tags:
[url=http://ipernity-link-goes-here][img]http://image-link-goes-here][/img][/url]
Then when we click your beautiful photo, it will take us to the iPernity site where we can see your photos full size.

Thanks, James. I don't know what should I put for ipernity link.  ???

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »
Got it!  ;)

Terry

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 07:21:37 PM »
Thanks for doing this thread James.  I see there is a BBcode link on Ipernity so it should be a breeze even for unskilled yobs like me.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 07:29:36 PM »
Thanks for doing this thread James.  I see there is a BBcode link on Ipernity so it should be a breeze even for unskilled yobs like me.

I think one must be a subscriber (club member) to be able to use BBCode.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 10:49:14 PM »
I think one must be a subscriber (club member) to be able to use BBCode.

Yes, I think that is true. I spent an hour or so clicking and right clicking every corner of that site looking for the BBCode sharing options, and never found them, but others (presumably club members) find it easy and obvious to get the BBCode. I'm not sure what the iPernity strategy is there. It seems to me that it would be smarter letting people use what is now basic/necessary functionality for sharing photos, and hold back storage volume for subscribing members. Ah well, if I have learned anything from my time in front of a computer, it's that if you look hard enough there is a way to share almost anything. Heck just ask that crazy wikileaks guy!  :-X
Flickr
Blogger

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 07:57:52 AM »
I'm putting a set of my NSFW soft focus shots on Ipernity.  I may keep Ip just for this kind of work.  If any other users want to add me there, please do.

http://www.ipernity.com/home/429443