Author Topic: American Samoa  (Read 3605 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
American Samoa
« on: March 23, 2014, 12:12:29 AM »
A week ago I got back from a two week business trip to American Samoa.  I brought my Petri FT SLR camera plus a Bolex B8 Movie camera with me to waste some film.  I shot two rolls of 36mm Kodak Ektar 100 and one roll of 8mm Kodak Ektachrome 100 reversal movie film.  Below are several of the photos I took during the trip, you'll have to come to my house to watch the movie film on the projector since I didn't have it digitized. 

I spent a few week in American Samoa almost exactly twenty years ago for business and spent most of the time sick with a stomach bug, plus I didn't take any photos.  This trip was a lot better for me and I had a few days to roam around the island taking pictures.  It's one of the most beautiful islands I have visited, I could have shot a lot more film if I had the time. 

These first few pictures will give you a sense of how beautiful the island is.

Amanave, American Samoa by bac1967, on Flickr

Island with 3 Palms by bac1967, on Flickr

Fatu Rock by bac1967, on Flickr

American Samoa coast by bac1967, on Flickr

Gun Bunker by bac1967, on Flickr

American Samoa Beach by bac1967, on Flickr

Fagamalo, American Samoa by bac1967, on Flickr

Ogetu Ridge by bac1967, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: American Samoa
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:17:04 AM »
American Samoa has been hit by a few natural disasters including a tsunami in 2009 and several typhoons.  the photo of the boat in the building was a result of the tsunami hitting the capital of Pago Pago.  The grounded ship was from a typhoon a few decades ago.  I think that ship was there when I was on the island in 1994.

Tsunami Damage by bac1967, on Flickr

Shipwreck by bac1967, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:22:57 AM »
Much of the work I was doing involved cleaning up hazardous waste at the American Samoa Shipyard Services Authority.  It's a dry dock that was previously privately operated and was recently taken over by the Samoan Government.  The private operator left a lot of waste behind.  The shipyard is right next door to the StarKist Tuna cannery.  If the wind was blowing in the right direction we got to enjoy the smell of tuna all day. 

Working in paradise by bac1967, on Flickr

Chiuan FA Cheng by bac1967, on Flickr

StarKist Samoa Co by bac1967, on Flickr

Charlie Tuna by bac1967, on Flickr

Shipyard in pago Pago Harbor by bac1967, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 12:29:01 AM »
The Samoans are very friendly people and seem to enjoy having their pictures taken.  The first photo below is the market in Pago Pago. 

Pago Pago market by bac1967, on Flickr

The buses in American Samoa are privately owned and operated.  The owners paint their buses in bright colors with slogans, names, or flames.  They are made on the island out of sheet metal and wood.  I understand if you play music on your bus you tend to get more passengers.  This poor guy had some roadside repairs to do.

Bus Repair by bac1967, on Flickr

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 04:11:38 AM »
Wow.  Some gorgeous pics.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 06:09:41 PM »
Fantastic images, Bryan!
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
Great pictures!
(The first set somehow reminded me that I have to hand in my holiday request for the summer).

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 11:22:37 PM »
After this winter, I'd happily head to the tropics to clean up toxic waste.

Seriously, very nice shots. Ektar seems to work really well there (as I suppose one would expect). I particularly like the shipwreck shot, and I chuckled at the adjacent Salad Oil and Diesel tanks at the tuna plant. Given the hand-lettered signs, I wonder if something happened that made them decide that labeling the tanks was a good idea....
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:36:46 PM »
I chuckled at the adjacent Salad Oil and Diesel tanks at the tuna plant. Given the hand-lettered signs, I wonder if something happened that made them decide that labeling the tanks was a good idea....

I was waiting for someone to notice that.

Thanks for all the great comments.  It was nice to get away from winter in the Pacific Northwest for a few weeks but working in that heat and humidity can be exhausting for someone that's not used to it. 

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »
Hey Bryan,

Beautiful images !
It certainly looks like paradise, I also noticed the Salad Oil and Diesel tanks, funny.

Well done adn thanks for sharing.

Alan