Author Topic: Dveloper Ratios  (Read 6047 times)

latinbob

• 35mm
Dveloper Ratios
« on: March 16, 2006, 12:03:21 AM »
The Developer thread got me curious about using other developers besides D-76.  I got a bottle of Adox APH 09 (Pre-War Rodinal) and it lists two possible ratios, 1:40 and 1:100.  Why would you choose one ratio over the other?  The developing times are only a minute or so apart.  I usually shoot with either Ilford hp5+ or FP4+. Thanks for any replies!

Rogerrr

Re: Dveloper Ratios
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 03:55:29 AM »
I've heard of using developers at high dilutions to get more tonal range and less grain

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 09:07:20 AM »
Sorry to state the obvious, but for me using 1+100 is a lot cheaper.  ;)

latinbob

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 03:13:33 PM »
That's what I was thinking too Dave!  I just wondered if there was an advantage to using 1:40.  I may just have to try both and see if there is any real difference.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 04:20:08 PM »
hello,

As far as i understand, you can dilute down to 1 -100 which does indeed (in theory) give an increased tonal range.   as has been said.

i have used the Calbe A49 (?) which is also meant to be the pre war rodinal and worked lovely!

but if im honest  i always rely on leon for this type of stuff

and

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

which im sure everyone knows about.   very good resource!

latinbob

• 35mm
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 05:50:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply Damion.  I think I understand it a little better now.  I would use the 1:40 for increased contrast and the 1:100 for increased tonal range.  Now I'm excited to try this stuff out!

Bob

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 05:23:53 PM »
many developers take on a compensatory action when used at higher dilutions (rodinal being one of them).  So the developer will quickly run out of steam in the areas it works the hardest (the highlights on the neg) and carry on where less action is needed (the shadow areas)  It's a good way to get more detail from your negs.  Also, dilute developers can enhance edge effects, or accutance, which helps the image to appear more sharp, whilst not inreasing grain size to do so - in theory!
L.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 06:05:37 PM »
Spot on leon!  in fact using your developer stuff, i tried the full stand method (just over an hour) on some bessa R3A negs, i tell thee it looke dlike the edges had been carved with a knife!  quite a unique look.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 08:17:42 PM »
Stand, semi-stand techniques as well as divided (two bath) developers all seem to have there own unique appearance and then there is pyro! Whilst I have tried a few I do try and keep to ID11 or PMK Pyro although I have just got the chemicals to make up pyrocat hd too. If you can crack just one or two developer and film combinations then you're really wasting film trying to include others in your armoury. Better to waste film on creativity than chasing golden bullets!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 08:33:15 PM »
good point carl - I've pretty much standardised on pyrocat HD these days - the low grain, high accutance, full film speed and compensation make for a pretty good all round success in my book.  And, the gorgeous highlight tonality / gradation really is something, it adds a real addition to the look of the final print, I reckon.  It took me quite a journey to get there though, and I still occaisionally use perceptol  - I've just got back from cornwall and have 5 rolls of HP5 that I'm going to soak in dilute perceptol .... cant wait.  Tomorrow will be a darkroom day for sure.
L.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 08:38:11 PM »
It took me quite a journey to get there though, and I still occaisionally use perceptol  - I've just got back from cornwall and have 5 rolls of HP5 that I'm going to soak in dilute perceptol .... cant wait.  Tomorrow will be a darkroom day for sure.

I suppose the journey is all part of the learning curve but we don't need to make it steeper than it already is - look forward to seeing the results of the trip west Leon!

Back for another hour in the darkroom - some forte polywarmtone and beers two bath paper dev waiting - forte polywarmtone is soooo slow but very nice!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 08:40:02 PM by CarlRadford »