Author Topic: Be Gentle with me  (Read 1800 times)

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
Be Gentle with me
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »

Some time ago, at least 5 years, maybe as many as 10, I had my first go at developing my own film. One of the first things I did was an experiment in ‘Selfies’. I’m pretty sure I was ahead of my time in this regard! At the time I was doing quite a bit of letterpress printing and bookbinding, so I had a box of surgical gloves, using them seemed like a good idea.

I came across the negatives the other day and scanned them, no dust removal or touching up, I like that they are far from perfect. The plan had always been to crop them so I have. My memory is a little hazy on details but it was definitely an Ilford film and would have been either a Minolta Dynax 5000i or an Olympus OM2, I think the former but am not sure.

Two things are immediately evident to me from looking at them again, the first is that they make me feel very vulnerable, to the point that I wasn’t sure whether to post them or not. The second is that I’ve definitely put on weight since then!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:33:15 PM by Verian »
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Be Gentle with me
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »
Definitely "off piste" compared to a lot the work posted but I like them. Using the gloves infers that the hands belong to someone else and this is emphasised further as the close crop doesn't allow the viewer to see whose hands they really are.

I'm a bit of a control reak and, as a result, if they were my photos, I'd be doing my best to get rid of extraneous dust, etc. However, that's personal choice.

Overall, I think they're quite a surreal set and have enjoyed looking at them.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
Re: Be Gentle with me
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
Definitely "off piste" compared to a lot the work posted but I like them. Using the gloves infers that the hands belong to someone else and this is emphasised further as the close crop doesn't allow the viewer to see whose hands they really are.

I'm a bit of a control reak and, as a result, if they were my photos, I'd be doing my best to get rid of extraneous dust, etc. However, that's personal choice.

Overall, I think they're quite a surreal set and have enjoyed looking at them.

Thank you, you have indeed been most gentle with me and my brittle ego!  :)

They are a bit self indulgent I guess and not my normal sort of thing, at least I don't think so, and you are bang on with the gloves and crop, that was exactly my intention.
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian