Author Topic: Pushing Through  (Read 6117 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Pushing Through
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:08:38 PM »
This is a selection of photos from an ongoing project where I am photographing the struggle of plants to overcome the obstacles and suppressive efforts of humanity. This is nature "finding a way".
I have used a variety of cameras and films in this project and I think that might also add to the theme of disorder overcoming order. Anyway, the complete set can be seen on my BLOG and on FLICKR. These are my personal favorites:
Yashica Mat 124G on Lomo X-Pro (c-41 processed)

Pushing Through I by James Harr Photo, on Flickr

Voigtländer Bessa 6x9 on Fuji Acros 100

Pushing Through II by James Harr Photo, on Flickr

Yashica Mat 124G on Kodak T-Max

Pushing-Through-VII by James Harr Photo, on Flickr

Yashica Mat 124G on Kodak T-Max

Pushing-Through-V by James Harr Photo, on Flickr

Graflex Speed Graphic on Kodak Tri-X

Pushing Through VIII by James Harr Photo, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Pushing Through
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:12:08 AM »
Great photos and I love the theme, you can do a lot with it.  I've always had a bit of a fascination with some of the crazy places vegetation tries to grow.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:44:28 PM »
Thanks Bryan. It's also a good theme because if you keep your eyes open, it is really easy to find good examples of plants taking over the city.
Flickr
Blogger

johnha

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 01:00:25 AM »
I like the theme and the narratives on your blog. It's amazing how nature can claim back what you'd expect to be an impenetrable layer of concrete.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
I like the theme and the narratives on your blog. It's amazing how nature can claim back what you'd expect to be an impenetrable layer of concrete.
I've been looking for something special to wrap up the series, but it is elusive. Thanks for the kind words.

James
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
it's my favorite theme in essence! I'm glad to see this collection of shots and I'll be looking forward to seeing more. it always brings a smile to my face to see the plants pushing through and growing in the cracks of our lousy attempts to control the enviroment~
/jonas

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Pushing Through
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »
Great series and theme. Entropy FTW ;-)

I always find this imagery - of the concrete world slowly being countered by nature - comforting. Some people might see it as decay. Maybe it is but it is MY kind of decay. :-)

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 04:01:56 AM »
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:22:42 AM by jharr »
Flickr
Blogger

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »
Made me think of this...

I am the wilderness locked in a cage
I am a growing force you kept in place
I am a tree reaching for the sun
Please don't hold me down
Please don't hold me down

I am a rolling wave without the motion
A glass of water longing for the ocean
I am an asphalt flower breaking free but you keep stoppin' me
Release me
Release me

I am the rain that's coming down on you
That you shielded yourself from with a roof
I am the fire burning desperately but you're controlling me
Release me
Release me

Here's the vid.
Oh Laura - Release Me (new video)
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »
Flickr
Blogger

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »
Flickr
Blogger

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »
And the final entry for this project.
Flickr
Blogger

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 04:10:51 AM »
I just thought I would put these two up as "addenda" to the last two. I forgot I had these on my roll of Ektar in my Voigtlander.

Lake Morena Oak by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Lake Morena Ruins by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr
Flickr
Blogger

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
These are lovely pictures! (that I am only now realizing are here  :o )  I appreciate the theme, too. I had started a similar project a few years back but never did anything with it. I called mine "Signs of life." It's a phrase that people usually use when they see evidence of human activity, but like you, I was looking for the reverse - the places where nature was reclaiming those remnants of human activity.

Great work!
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 04:28:06 PM »
Thank you Leonore. I had fun with this series and it seems to be a common enough thought among photographers that I got some nice feedback. I probably should have thought ahead and made it a little more coherent with the same film and format for the whole series, but instead I shot it with my usual eclectic aesthetic. ??? I'm glad you enjoyed these.

James
Flickr
Blogger

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 04:30:05 AM »
the theme is both a struggle to live and adapt. this is something you overlook when you see any plant growing out of any man made structure. this a great set even though different cameras or films are made. it diversifies each exposure.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 01:15:20 PM »
This has been a really nice thread and there's some lovely pictures.

I was actually thinking about this thread yesterday as I was walking around Cambridge. It's amazing, the various university campuses charge money to walk through their grounds (for anyone sufficiently interested) and the lawns / gardens that front onto the city centre / streets are manicured to perfection.

However, some of the bits that face onto side streets are a lot less "kempt" to the point where I thought they'd make an intereting juxtaposition with the billiard-table lawns and walkways in the more obvious places.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »
Thanks all. I'm glad people have enjoyed the photos and that the theme resonated with some. I guess that since I have finished my contributions to this set, I should open it up and see if others would like to post something here on the same theme. This is a community after all. I for one would love to see how other people see this or even just how it is happening at other places in the world. So post 'em if you got 'em!  :D
Flickr
Blogger