Author Topic: Clearing Polaroid Negs in the field????  (Read 6677 times)

astrobeck

Clearing Polaroid Negs in the field????
« on: March 14, 2006, 04:57:07 PM »
I'm curious about what and how others clear their Polaroid negatives while out in the field?

Are you pre-mixing the solution and using it out of a container?

Or are you taking the powder (Sodium Sulfite), and then mixing it on location?

And what type of container are you using for clearing and for transporting the negs???

I've tried a few methods and contatiners, but always seem to be worrying about scratching the cleared negs, or spilling the solution someplace.

thanks!!!!

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
Re: Clearing Polaroid Negs in the field????
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:51:44 PM »
I used to pre-mix the soup and carry it in a plastic lunchbox- you know the freezer type ones with an airtight lid. Mine doesn't leak, even when it's bouncing around in a back pack, although I'd wrap it in a zip-loc plastic bag for safety.

I'dd pull the 'roid, throw the neg in, and seal the lid back down. When I ran out of film and have about a dozen negs all swimming around in there together, I'd take it home and wash them down. No problems with scratches either. The sulphite keeps well in the air tight container and you can use the same brew again next time, until there is so much Polaroid gunk floating around that you're afraid to get your fingers in it.

This is all written in the past tense, because lately I simply shoot on transparency film and then pop the processed tran in the enlarger with the 5x4 pol-back face up on the base plate. Then I can process the roids in the comfort of the darkroom  ;D

Is this cheating  ???

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 11:06:22 PM »
Are you pre-mixing the solution and using it out of a container?
Like db, I use a plastic lunch box - one with wire clips for the lid as well, and pre-mix. The negs stay floating for the day, and come home to be washed like ferrets. The sulfite is nice and 'soft' & slippery, I remove most of the paper, and I've never had a scratch - not that these would concern too much.

Show us the results perhaps? Skorj.

Rogerrr

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 11:55:00 PM »
once I used a re-sealable plastic bag--since it was only one..or MAYBE two shots

Also I read of someone who just uses a long rinse of warm water...he was teaching a class and got tired of students splashing sulfite all over......might be worth looking into as an alternative---or if you get desperate and run out of sulfite. Or if, hypothetically, you go to the store and, hypothetically, someone bought ALL the sulfite the store had already.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 04:04:31 AM »
It's a bit to lug about, so usually kept in the car if on location-- but I bought one of those clearing tank buckets which I filled with SS. Easy. No scratches. Worked like a charm.

But if a lighter load is needed, I used sandwich sized tupperware containers filled with SS. I just placed one neg in each tupperware container.

Theresa

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 05:18:52 PM »
brilliant!  I ws just about to ask this very question.

chricela

• Black and White Film Process
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 05:23:51 PM »
I usually take a large Tupperware & some water . I add water to the Tupperware as I had negs. Shoot all day. &  when i get home I permawash (instead of Sodium Sulfite) them for 20 minutes. Permawash has sodium sulfite in it. & i already have it for developing film & prints....plus it's easy to mix.  :)
Chricel

Rogerrr

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 01:28:06 AM »
glad u mentioned Permawash...I've heard of people using it..probably used it myself

easier to find than sodium sulfite sometimes too

Zoe

• 35mm
    • Zoe Wiseman Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 02:05:51 AM »
I also have one of those polaroid buckets. Works great. Lugging it around isn't that bad.
If you use a tupperware container or lunchbox thing be sure that it isn't light sensitive, in that light can get into the container or else you will have several solarized negatives. I.E. Sabbitier Effect. If this doesn't bother you... (i love it)... then don't worry about it.
I always pre-mix the solution at home and keep it in the bucket with me. It doesn't leak.

ann

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 12:42:56 PM »
another vote for the standard clearning bucket. Easy , doesn't leak.

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 01:50:38 AM »
I just use a tupperware container then SS when I get home.