Author Topic: More with the Flickr thing...  (Read 68743 times)

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
Re: More with the Flickr thing...
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »
if someone adds a photo to my camera group tagless and named P763460 with no descriptions and IF I catch it, I often times add some basic tags based on the photo.

I even surprised a few folks by tagging model numbers to photos of cameras that dont have the numbers printed on the body. I did this recently with a rollei SLX model 2 where the user thought they had a model 1.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:18:31 PM by tkmedia »
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 04:24:32 PM »
i always tag my junk really well. Camera, lens, film, process, scanner, software(sometimes)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
Well it appears flickr changed over their groups now. And locked out completely their feedback group. This is my last straw with these clowns. I'm pulling all of my stuff this week.  >:(

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »
Yes I think I'm done too.

I'm not going to take my photos down because I don't want to break links, but I'm probably going to switch everything to private. They're not going to make ad money off of my content while they've alienated me from the site.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »
There's competition in the air!
I was just reading Petapixel to stumble on this
http://petapixel.com/2013/07/30/smugmug-photo-sharing-website-gets-a-complete-overhaul/

Smugmug has just gone through a complete overhaul. And best part is: some of it is customizable by the user!

Let me know what you think.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »
There's competition in the air!
I was just reading Petapixel to stumble on this
http://petapixel.com/2013/07/30/smugmug-photo-sharing-website-gets-a-complete-overhaul/

Smugmug has just gone through a complete overhaul. And best part is: some of it is customizable by the user!

Let me know what you think.

It's not free though. I'm trying out 500px now. The only reason I continued to hang around flickr was for the groups. Now that they're unusable/unappealing there's not really anything to set flickr apart from other sites, like say photobucket. If 500px doesn't interest me then I really will use photobucket.

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but even deviantart is a better site for photos now than flickr is.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:17:57 PM by Flippy »

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2013, 09:47:54 PM »
after all that moaning and groaning I got a nice little email from Flickr reminding me that they will automatically be charging me for another yearly pro subscription! Of course, no way to opt out in the email. I'll likely have to sign in and fiddle about with my profile settings to find some obscure little box that says cancel subscription... Ugh...

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
Having a blast at Ipernity!
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2013, 08:56:41 AM »
I bailed out of Flickr two months ago when all the nonsense started up. I promptly set up shop at Ipernity and could not be happier! Tons of warm & friendly folks there who take photography seriously. I even started up my own group last month, (by invitation) and currently have over 1,240 members, making it the fastest growing (and one of the top 5 largest) groups on Ipernity. Although I was a long-time Flickr member, I really don't miss it at all.

Any of you who decide to migrate to Ipernity, look me up at the links below!

Glen
My Ipernity page: www.ipernity.com/home/newfoundland
My Ipernity Group: www.ipernity.com/group/fineartlandscapes

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »
I've just found a trick to make Flickr a lot faster loading!
I use their mobile version which is not half bad (I know Statler would say "you're right! it ain't half bad, it's all bad!")
m.flickr.com

OK, you do loose the groups, but it loads blazing fast!
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2013, 08:34:29 AM »
I've looked at, and read up on, a couple of these other sites, (500px, ipernity, etc).  On the one hand, apart from the factor of competitive software updating, any of them is probably as good as any other for file sharing.  But when it comes to groups, other than special interest forums, Flickr is still where the majority of folks seem to be, a factor that, as with Facebook, can be more important than the software design itself. 

Even if it is now impossible to find them or view their shots comfortably !! 

I haven't seen an issue with fast or slow loading with Flickr, I just find it irritating that they load my contacts' images so large when I only need a thumbnail to get an idea of what I want to look into.  So I now look at 10% of what I previously did.  The Flickr designers have effed up big time, but I assume that it will change again in the future, and hopefuly with more options for personalisation.  Flickr will remain my dumping ground.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2013, 12:56:47 AM »
I came across this today...

flickr black day by wa2wider, on Flickr
The text from that page:

Many of us, but not all, have been surprised two weeks ago by a complete new photopage lay out, that is stripped of many of the functionalities we used to have. It has made Flickr completely unworkable.

- You can't edit your comment anymore.
- The comment box is less the 2 iches wide and just over half an inch high.
- The font used is so tiny you need a magnifying glass.
- You can't include photos anymore in your comment.
- You can't add notes anymore to a photo.
- It's impossible to see who favs your photo.
- When you are in a group and open a photo, and close it again, you are automatically transferred to that person's photostream, instead of back to that group again.

Commenting on photos has completely dried up since this new lay out. I have not commented anymore, because it is almost impossible. Neither have I received any comments since the new lay out came into effect.
Luckily, someone advised me a workaround for now: change language, and you have the old lay out back. I am now using Flickr in German, and some of my contacts are doing that now too.
But as a protest, we want to add black images coming Sunday. I doubt Flickr will listen, but the Flickr community will fall apart when this new lay out will go global.

I probably wont post it, as Flickr likely needs to get in line over UI foul-ups  ::) but it is interesting nonetheless.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2013, 01:45:48 AM »
mine actually switched back today after being "stuck" in this ridiculous mode!

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2013, 03:27:10 AM »
Mine has gone back again too. One of my grievances over the last change - which did not appear for all users - was that I couldn't any longer link to a flickr image in a filmwasters thread, because the correct linkage code wasn't accessible

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2013, 04:58:17 AM »
it was, but just very unintuitively hidden. It made 2 clicks turn into like 5 clicks. I hope they don't change it permanently. I've already started looking elsewhere for an image site. I just have a hard time nixing 1000+ photos categorized and tagged. I use flickr for my own purposes to find photos as well so switching would be a huge pain.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
For me Flickr is dead since the last major layout change some months ago. These endlessly scrolling pages are nothing I want to deal with. I cut all contacts and use flickr as an upload space, 1TB for free is nice. f.e. to show my images here and elsewhere. Sometimes I get a comment from old buddies, and sometimes I make a comment on a picture I saw here at FW, that's it. I can live without douzens of likes and hundreds of fake views. Flickr used to be a great ressource and database. Some groups were really great. Flickr of course was part of the caffenol hype, I co-administer a group. RIP. C'est la vie.

Use flickr or any other web site as a backup? No way. You will never know if they still exist tomorrow. Film is a great backup ;-)

I went to ipernity, but that's a bit too familiar. And the groups are almost dead. Then I joined FW  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
I know I was stuck in their beta presentation mode for close to 6 months before I finally got a button on the bottom left of a viewed image that allowed me to opt out of the beta testing mode. What a relief!
Francois

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2013, 02:21:57 PM »
I have to admit I've pretty much given up on Flickr, which is a shame as I used to really like it but I just find the new layout very intuitive.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Terry

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2013, 03:38:02 PM »
I set up an Ipernity page and transferred most of my photos from flickr.  I like the functionality of Ipernity but it's kind of lonely over there.

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
More with the Flickr thing...
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
I set up an Ipernity page and transferred most of my photos from flickr.  I like the functionality of Ipernity but it's kind of lonely over there.

I just opened an account over there, I have no friends :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Mab

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »
I think I must have lost nearly half of my Flickr contacts after the layout change. I haven't been able to find more than a few of them on Ipernity. For the most part they simply disappeared. I'm still hanging on with Flickr but I visit the site less and less. Maybe it's time to cut the ropes and start again somewhere else. Ipernity is the obvious choice, I guess.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
I cancelled my pro subscription yesterday...

most photos I post now barely get any comments, so either flickr is quieter or my pics are poor!

it is so annoying to use now that I am pretty much over it and all the forums are so quiet now too.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »
I cancelled my pro subscription yesterday...

most photos I post now barely get any comments, so either flickr is quieter or my pics are poor!

Me, too.  I'd just assumed I was using the wrong deodorant...!! 8)

Incidentally, how do you cancel your Pro account?? (I pay mine on a standing order using Paypal, so I presume it's probably down to me cancelling it via them)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2013, 01:35:26 PM »
glad its just not me  :)

I had to look too. go to the settings in the top right (the image thumbnail) and one of the top options is 'manage your pro subscription' and you can cancel from there.

all that does is stop the next payment, you remain a 'pro' until the payment year is up.

not sure but I think it just means we'll get ads now, and there is no longer a limit to the number of images you can display... but we'll see...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »
For the ads, I just use the Adblock plus addon for Firefox (it also exists for Chrome and Opera). I haven't seen a ad on Flickr for a very long time with this plugin on!
It also works wonders with all the sites.
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »
I've just got to the point where I see no real benefit (other than a free terrabyte of storage) in having a Flickr account anymore.

The forums I belong to are slow to plate-tectonically slow. Discussions are limited to say the least.  Commenting, where it happens, is usually restricted to "love the colours" sort of comments (which becomes catching after a while).  People post inappropriate photos (square photos in the XPan group, colour photos in B&W groups, digital photos in film groups, etc..).  I don't know if these people are thick, are suffering from attention deficit disorders or do it for badness / thinking it's funny. 

The 1 Terrabyte isn't much of a draw as I have about 2.5 Terrabytes capacity at home and, if memory serves, wasn't there some issue about EXIF data being stripped out and claims by the site owners to being able to lease orphan images?

I think I'll be removing my photos and shutting down my Flickr site very soon. Good time of year for a clear-out....

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2013, 11:35:59 PM »
Still use flickr, really haven't found an alternative I like. I still get decent views and I have so much stuff there I don't really feel like starting over until I have to. I do figure that someday in the next couple years I will click on the flickr link and get a message like "thank you so much for supporting flickr through the years, but blah blah blah we are shutting it down, so sorry".

If I had one thing to complain about, it's that the site seems to be eternally broken. There is always something not working. For a company the size of Yahoo, I find this pretty unacceptable.

I use ad blockers on my computer but even on my ipad I have never seen an ad on flickr, so not sure what other people are experiencing.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2013, 02:46:08 AM »
Still use flickr, really haven't found an alternative I like. I still get decent views and I have so much stuff there I don't really feel like starting over until I have to. I do figure that someday in the next couple years I will click on the flickr link and get a message like "thank you so much for supporting flickr through the years, but blah blah blah we are shutting it down, so sorry".

If I had one thing to complain about, it's that the site seems to be eternally broken. There is always something not working. For a company the size of Yahoo, I find this pretty unacceptable.

I use ad blockers on my computer but even on my ipad I have never seen an ad on flickr, so not sure what other people are experiencing.

Och heer, heer  8)    ::)   :)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

FiatluX

• Cookbook chef
    • The Caffenol Cookbook
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »
Here´s my take on the whole flickr mishap:

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
yeah to be fair I still get lots of views, just much less interaction...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »
I never could get any type of stat to work on mine...
My images get zero views unless somebody tells me they've seen it through the comments...
Then, it's zero views for Flickr but one for me...
Francois

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
I'm with Sean on this one. I really can't be bothered to go looking and uploading all my stuff elsewhere.

I don't necessarily like  what they have done, but, everywhere will have downsides. My visits are dramatically up since the new version went live. Not that I care either way. I just feel that it is better the devil you know. I also like the iphone app very much.

I had paid for a pro account just before they went free so I suppose that is why I see no ads. I will possibly reassess when that runs out, but, for now I am as happy as I ever am about anything - fair to middling!  ;D

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2013, 05:51:43 PM »
I'm with Sean on this one. I really can't be bothered to go looking and uploading all my stuff elsewhere.

I don't necessarily like  what they have done, but, everywhere will have downsides. My visits are dramatically up since the new version went live. Not that I care either way. I just feel that it is better the devil you know. I also like the iphone app very much.

I had paid for a pro account just before they went free so I suppose that is why I see no ads. I will possibly reassess when that runs out, but, for now I am as happy as I ever am about anything - fair to middling!  ;D

Och heer, heer, heer  8)  8)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »
I too can´t be bothered to go elsewhere. I have a couple of blogs that fetch the photos from Flickr, making the job of moving even more tedious. I liked it better before, and yes the comments were more frequent and less mechanical than they are nowadays, and the groups more active. But I´m not too bothered. As most others I use flickr as a repository to which I can link from sites where I would like my stuff shown.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »
I really like the look of Glen's Ipernity page and I'm not just talking about his amazing photographs.  I did look into signing up and they give you several options including using your Yahoo or Flickr account.  Does this link it to your Flickr account?  They do make their money from advertising but I couldn't find how much storage they give you for free.  Are there any fees involved?

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2014, 08:24:37 AM »
bloody flickr

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »
I only really used flickr as storage to link to other sites, i posted in a few groups but the novelty wore off very quickly.

I guess its because i don't seek recognition or approval for my pictures, sure its good if someone likes it but i wont loose sleep if no one does.

Having said that, I've just loaded my stream on a 100mb connection and it took ages, the slowest site I've used for a long time

I guess i will just use it when i want to share a shot on another forum

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2014, 12:47:43 PM »
im slowly setting up ipernity...more out of panic.

http://www.ipernity.com/home/313379?rev=31

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »
Just set ipernity up, cant upload anything as my pc is still in boxes after the move

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
kind of looks ok,  just zero activity...

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »
Have also set up on Vivaldi.net.  Bit of a case of, "Well, why not."

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »
I've actually seen increased activity on flickr over the past six months or so. Not "views" which is a number that mysteriously tripled on everything, but actual likes...used to get 5-20 on popular photos, now I pretty regularly get 40+, which isn't bad for someone who doesn't make much effort to get likes other than to post to groups.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
Ive also seen an increase of views. I'm going to assume that flickr is counting as a view if you land on someones home page, which if you have lots of contacts can add to views.

Usually now if I have a really good shot I'll sometimes break 10 favourites on a shot. Which is more than usual. I'm not much of a flicker power user I just post what I like.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2014, 09:42:13 PM »
Not "views" which is a number that mysteriously tripled on everything, but actual likes
Me too. Funny thing is, my pictures get seen more by people around Montreal!
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2014, 11:23:06 PM »
I think people use the "Favorites" button for different reasons on Flickr.  Some people like me use it to save a photo for reference or because we want to look at it again, others use it as a "like" button similar to Facebook.  If you check on some of the people who are adding your photos to their favorites they may have hundreds of thousands of them.  That's a lot of pictures to have in your favorites folder.  I don't think they are going back to look at them.  I'm just speculating but another reason may be they do it to get more traffic to their own page.  I guess it doesn't really matter how you use it.

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »
I've actually seen increased activity on flickr over the past six months or so. Not "views" which is a number that mysteriously tripled on everything, but actual likes...used to get 5-20 on popular photos, now I pretty regularly get 40+, which isn't bad for someone who doesn't make much effort to get likes other than to post to groups.

That may be because it is now possible to view images on the "follow" page and press a few "fave" buttons without ever opening up the images to view them larger. Although, that doesn't seem to work for me since I still receive very few favourites ...

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2014, 05:55:36 AM »
apparently flickr is checking that uservoice thingiy:

Allow user choice of Justified or Thumbnail display in Stream/Groups/Search
Gathering Feedback → Started

Thank you for this feedback Jeff S and thank you all who voted for it.

In future updates to the Flickr apps, you will be able to switch between justified and thumbnail displays for your images. This choice will be enabled subsequently in the desktop experience as well.

We’ll be sure to provide updates as we make the announcements and will give more feedback here and in the Help Forum.

Thanks,
Matthew Roth
Flickr Community Team
www.flickr.com/photos/matthewalmonroth/

So something to look forward to for those that liked the thumbnail display better (me included)

link for the page: https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/211185-us-flickr/suggestions/4447502-allow-user-choice-of-justified-or-thumbnail-displa?tracking_code=06089d4207a3cff20fcb48094c240f8d
/jonas

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
So today I just deleted both my Flickr and Ipernity account. I think it will be nice to focus just on the blog and Filmwasters.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2014, 04:04:22 PM »
So today I just deleted both my Flickr and Ipernity account. I think it will be nice to focus just on the blog and Filmwasters.

Well done, Urban.

I'm building (with a little help from friends) a new website which will also have a blog. Probably up and running in a month or so - at which point, my existing website, my Tumblr (owned by Yahoo) and Flickr postings will all be consigned to the great waste bin of history.  Only one site to populate (+FW, of course) from then onwards.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
Thank you! I cannot get it either! I cannot figure out how to use the f%#@ing thing! I gave up.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
What bugs me is the inconsistencies between users!
I accidentally opted-in to their beta test which is lacking a ton of features. Then I tried to opt-out but the opt-out button wasn't there. Took more than a month for it to appear at the lower left of a viewed image...
Francois