Author Topic: More with the Flickr thing...  (Read 68752 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
More with the Flickr thing...
« on: July 09, 2013, 11:35:15 PM »
There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, but I wanted to start another one to say that it's now official. I just don't 'get' the new Flickr layout; to the point where I've stopped using it other than for the very occasional upload. I've stopped commenting on people's photos or adding mine to groups. As soon as I see the site I want to get the hell out. It actually scares me a little and makes me feel powerless and ineffective.

Way to go, Flickr.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
Re: More with the Flickr thing...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:01:42 AM »
I'm no fan of it either, but there were some welcome minor changes from the initial changeover a few weeks ago. What I don't like the most is the "Fetching more photos.." part of it. I'm constantly searching for photos and it is so much slower.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »
I axed my account a few weeks ago.

I never had a flickr mind...so won't miss it.

stevesegz

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:01:09 AM »
With you on this Ed, have persevered but from the drop off in activity I think there are a lot of like minded souls. Several have recommended Ipernity and I am trying it before moving there completely.  So far I like the layout, the speed of navigation is much better and there does seem a more 'focused' group of photgraphers.

My greatest issue with the new flickr is the loading speed, so slow and very frustrating.

Haven't looked at 500px and wont do instagram due to the rights grab issues that were raised some time ago. Any others worth a try?
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:27:29 AM »
I axed my account a few weeks ago.

I never had a flickr mind...so won't miss it.

Ditto.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »
still using it but finding the speed frustrating...

a good example of users leaving is the normally very popular 'roidweek' group (a once per year group for polaroid images) has half the members of last year.

but when the most used camera on Flickr is the iPhone, I guess that dictates the kind of photography/er they are aiming to cater for...

shame as I used to quite like it...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »
I'm very frustrated by this state of affairs because Flickr was my only connection to 'proper' photography outside of Filmwasters. I don't spend a lot of time online in front of a Web browser. Of the time I do spend in that fashion, most of it is spent here at FW and I used Flickr (which I joined in Jan 2005 when it was still in Beta) as my only other regular spot for checking out the wider world of photography.

Various ways this could go:

* Mothball the account. Leave everything there, but don't add anything new and don't renew Pro subscription.
* Use it as a link location/bucket/backup for my best photos and continue to upload occasionally.
* Remove all of my 3000+ photos and delete my account, then look for somewhere else to store photos.

Suspect I'll go with the first option and look for somewhere else less annoyingly laid out to get my online photo fix.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »
I think there's a way to import the images from Flickr into Ipernity. Haven't tried myself though.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »
My only gripes with the new flickr is that I feel less connected with my contacts. I feel like im missing a lot more. And that everything is so big. There is no breathing space. I'm constantly trying to scroll down in areas where you cant scroll. Or dragging out my browser window in hopes of finding an edge.

I really think that the new layout of photoscreams works more in favor towards digital shooters who have 2 or 3 good photos lumped in with a bunch of garbage. It makes the photoscream look more like a collage and reflect itself as a whole rather than each individual shot. It's unfortunate. I'm not sure I'm sold on it 100% but I have no other alternative. They wont likely change it back either.

Same thing with youtube. When they switched it around I feel like im missing way more.
Tumblr • Youtube

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
TinTin: You've expressed my views more eloquently than I did. Thanks.

Urban: I just signed up and tried ipernity and guess what? It looks and behaves almost exactly the same as Flickr used to! Funny that  ;) Now if I could just port 3000+ photos and 8 years of friends' photos and comments over there I'd be ecstatic  :)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
I think it's sort of possible to import the images: http://www.ipernity.com/blog/team/485851

I haven't tried it myself though.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 03:13:31 PM »
I guess the other thing to point out is the pricing. Screenshot below taken from https://www.ipernity.com/club

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 03:18:01 PM »
I guess the other thing to point out is the pricing.

Good or bad?

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »
Good question :-) I wasn't necessarily commenting on the pricing in a judgmental way, just pointn9ing out that there was a paid service and a free service. Off the top of my head I can't remember what a Flickr Pro account costs, but if Ipernity offers a similar level of service - and assuming a few more people join and start using it - then I'd have no problems paying them instead of Flickr.

After 20 minutes spent browsing Ipernity and coming away feeling calm and happy (as opposed to stressed and sad like with Flickr) I think I'll give it a serious spin. I notice Urban, Vicky Slater and Bob Notraces all have accounts in various stages of adopted-ness so I should be able to road test the site properly.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 03:56:52 PM »
Yes, it's not half bad. What I still miss is something like the flickr activity feed (http://www.flickr.com/activity) and proper RSS feeds (mostly for groups). Right now it's just too hard to find out what's going on.

And you will find quite a few people from Flickr there.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 04:05:59 PM »
Well, the beauty of the setup for me is that I don't really use Flickr Groups or other 'community' things....that's why I have Filmwasters. I use Flickr to store and show my photos and to see my friends' and contacts' work.

BTW, I just installed Flump (http://code.google.com/p/onairbustour/wiki/flump) and am using it to export my Flickr stream. It needs Adobe Air, but given how user friendly it is to drive I'm not too annoyed by that. It's been running for a few minutes and is at 17% already.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »
maintaining a 60,000+ photo group, so I have to stay. The site I work on has a lot more broken photos because of the Flickr exodus. A few photos have also changed to flickr protest photos. I do have an ipernity account, but I'm not very active on it, but do use it a few times a week.
tk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 04:14:14 PM »
I too noticed less activity on Flickr. I think it started before they upgraded the system and the upgrade simply sped things up.

With everybody using phones to shove images on Instagram without any regards for their images and their personal rights, it's no wonder Flickr is less active than it used to be.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »
from the few years I've been using it flickr activity tends to be slower in the summer as plenty of folks are on holiday. There tends to be burst of photo uploads.
tk

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »
Im going to look at ipernity. I'm kind of sick of flickr. It used to be a great resource to see great work and connect with great photographers but I agree its time to leave. Maybe I should look into setting up my cargo account again...
Tumblr • Youtube

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »
I see about the same amount of traffic for my photos as before. I will stick it out for now, since it is free. Will see how i feel this winter when everything changes and ads appear alongside the photos.

I wonder what the percentage of users leaving and staying at flickr are film based as opposed to digital/phone users.

I've already mentioned my reservations about ipernity, with it's bad english all over the site, and the continuous spam in the flickr group threads.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 09:06:27 PM »
At the moment I'm posting to both flickr and ipernity. I prefer ipernity for the interface, which is spookily old-flickr like, but I've not yet got to the level of regularly-commenting contacts on ipernity that I used to have on flickr before the exodus.

My ipernity ID is, strangely enough, Kevin Allan.

How about we start up a filmwasters.com group on ipernity - just as a way of signposting filmwasters to the identities and images of other filmwasters ?

I'd be happy to be the moderator of such a group - it shouldn't need much in the way of discussions as this site already serves the discussions purpose.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
I see about the same amount of traffic for my photos as before. I will stick it out for now, since it is free. Will see how i feel this winter when everything changes and ads appear alongside the photos.
I can fix this with just two words: Adblock Plus
I've been using the add-on on Firefox for many years and it really works wonders cutting ads on so many sites. The only place I still see ads is Google's search page.
Francois

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
More with the Flickr thing...
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »
I've gotten used to the new Flickr. It still suits my needs. Last night, though, I noticed that there was now a Yahoo search bar at the top, which I find aesthetically reprehensible. I understand that Yahoo owns Flickr but my browser already had search and I already have my search provider preference so I'd prefer if the real estate on my browser wasn't usurped.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
Last night, though, I noticed that there was now a Yahoo search bar at the top, which I find aesthetically reprehensible.

Ghastly that is too! You cannot turn it off it seems either? I am not a MyFace user either, but I had assumed their new format was to emulate those kiddie social networks? Skj.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 12:36:47 AM »
I was planning to stick around flickr cause.. well, reasons. one being all the information found within the groups. though I dunno how easy that's going to be to find in the future, anyone else seen the new design they're working on? click opt in on the button on this page: http://www.flickr.com/groups
-don't worry (yet!) you can always opt out. though I dunno for how long....
/jonas

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 01:33:42 AM »
a few thoughts... group selection...not a fan. options for changing to list mode is good, but line length is too long. Within a group it works for places that dont have a lot of discussions as all you see are photos. Groups welcome descriptions are awful and stuck under the group name.. which wont fit having to click a more button which creates a pop out text box :o. When discussions button is pressed it displays again very long line length of text making it hard to read. With in the discussion threads so far look fine.
tk

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 03:51:22 AM »
tkmedia: they have a group for this new design they're working on for the groups where you can give them your feedback :)
/jonas

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 07:14:05 AM »
I've given it a go, but still find it really difficult, I can't get used to it. I hate the shouty front page with loads of massive photos clammering for attention. I have really slow broadband connection, which more or less freezes my laptop when i try and open flickr at home, as it tries to download all the images, it's really frustrating. I'm finding the change to be an overall negative one, and it appears I'm not alone. A lot of the groups I go to seem to be getting quieter.
Not sure what to do when my Pro account expires.
BT has promised 'superfast' broadband 'within 3 years' which might help.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »
I really like the new Flickr it now seems to respect the format i.e it doesn't crop everything square cropping off the subjects on the edge of frames.
I think it's a little slower which I can understand for those without broadband might be a pain.

As for the groups I can understand to a degree the criticism, but again find the layout more logical and informative.

Ed I saw you uploaded a photo about 24 hours ago, I commented on it :)
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »
A lot of the groups I go to seem to be getting quieter.
I noticed that too...

I've also always used a bunch of greasemonkey scripts on flickr to make it livable. Even in the old format, there were quite a few things that were a real pain to do the way I wanted to.

Has anyone seen the modification they made to the groups page this morning?
I don't know if I should call it an improvement or what?
But at least you can opt-out of the new design... at least for now.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:24:27 PM by Francois »
Francois

Owlsflight

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 05:16:07 PM »
I really liked the old format better myself, but I can live with the new.

The one thing that bugs me, and this could just be because I'm using an older browser, is when I look through a huge search of images, it bumps me back to the top after I click and look on one. I then have to scroll back down to where I was. Very annoying.

I don't really use it too much to know too much about a lot of the other problems. I'll stay for now.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
Here's the new group page
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »
Apparemtly, I've recently renewed my "Pro" membership and now have unlimited storage and all sorts of other stuff I neither need nor know how to use.  I must remember to change my settings in PayPal to avoid auto-renewing in future as I'm not really sure whether I want to use Flickr long-term or not.

As I have unlimited storage, is it worth using it as a cheap version of cloud storage and not clogging up my Mac's hard drive? Is it even possible to do this? If so, I'd need to work out how to bulk download - but also restricting viewing to myself only. Then there's the fact that Flickr strips out a load of EXIF data - which seems completely stupid and potentially dangerous as it could (presumably) be regarded as "orphan" and cashed-in upon by the site owners.

I've only got a few hundred shots on there - so maybe I'll just bin the lot and strat fresh somewhere else. I haven't tried "ipernity" but I might give it a look. I spend very little time on "Groups" as quite a few of the ones to which I subscribe are either very quiet or plagued by idiots asking some incredibly inane questions about "which would be the best lens for (insert name / model of camera here)??"

Sorry for pseudo-rant but I'm a bit out of sorts at the moment and very listless / feeling like I need a change or just something to spark my enthusiasm for life again.... :-\
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Fotoaday

• 35mm
    • Flickr
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 10:26:36 PM »
I much preferred the old format myself. I find the new format slow and awkward to use.  I am not keen on the way the photostream is displayed - I have 60Mb broadband and it still takes an age to load and scroll.

I have found myself uploading fewer and fewer images since the change, almost to the point where I just cannot be bothered with it, which is a real shame.  I have tried Google+ and Ipernity, but neither really float my boat.

I think the new format is clearly aimed at the iPhone generation and as competition for Instagram or something.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 01:26:48 AM »
I'm wondering whether I'm done with putting my photos on 'service' sites like Flickr now anyway. I signed up with Ipernity last week, but already cannot see any compelling reason to go there. I use Filmwasters to show images and interact with other likemindeds. If I didn't have FW, I'd probably be more focussed on finding a Flickr replacement. Suspect I'll stay with Flickr for the odd upload, but just not use it very much. Activities such as commenting, reading others' comments on my photos, checking groups etc will probably gind to a halt...and I'll not be renewing my Pro account next year.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:28:28 AM by Ed Wenn »

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 04:20:56 AM »
I really like the new layout and it was about time to be honest! I'm not sure about speed as I don't really use as much I use tumblr for example, but I'm sure this is something they'll probably work out.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
Me too, It's growing on me and seems to be getting faster–probably the page cache.
I never used Flickr much, just for linking to this forum for the image display, now you pretty much have unlimited space for 800 pixel web stuff for free Flickr makes more sense than ever.

I can understand if you paid for Pro, I probably wouldn't do that-it does make me think about the cost of my ancient Pbase account though....
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

stevesegz

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 06:53:32 AM »
Still not sure about it, but, going on there this morning it is definitely getting quicker.
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »
Yeah, I'm wondering myself Ed. But I have to agree that Flickr is really handy for embedding images. For the extra safety should a Forum upgrade go wrong, you know  ::)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »
Flickr have just emailed to say my 'Pro' membership expires in 30 days. They're quoting $24.95 for the year which isn't expensive, I've been a member since 2007, but I'm seriously considering not renewing.

I originally liked the changes and the larger images, but I'm still finding it just a little more 'awkward' to navigate and it certainly seems to have become quieter since the changes.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »
If you don't like the new page for your own stream, click on Edit and save a link to that and use it as your start page. It looks more like the old page and displays the information under the image as before.

The other entrance page for me is the images from my contacts. I prefer the new look with the bigger images. Again, I saved a link to the page to go straight there.

Groups have never worked well for me (although I belong to about 120 of them) and the new layout won't help. Maybe I just need to rationalise which I belong to as most I don't look at regularly anyway. Again, saving links direct to the group pages you visit most often can help. Thinking about it, that's probably the problem - there's just too many groups - and people cross post to them like mad (me too!).

I won't be moving as I get free pro membership because I use BT. If that changes I might think again.

I'm off to thin out my groups list.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »
Peter - that's a good tip thanks! I've saved the 'From your contacts' page, which is mainly what I look at, as my Flickr bookmark which works a little better. I don't often look at the groups pages unless I'm trying to research something, or see what a certain film type looks like.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, 02:40:08 AM »
Groups have never worked well for me (although I belong to about 120 of them) and the new layout won't help. Maybe I just need to rationalise which I belong to as most I don't look at regularly anyway. Again, saving links direct to the group pages you visit most often can help. Thinking about it, that's probably the problem - there's just too many groups - and people cross post to them like mad (me too!).

I love the bizarre, bazaar nature of Flickr groups. Love fire hydrants? Conifers by kite? Tintypes from tin cans? It's all likely there, or will be next week.

I'd take either the old or the new group layout over that ugly, vertical stream-thing they had in between. That was a unwieldy mess.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
If you don't like the new page for your own stream, click on Edit and save a link to that and use it as your start page. It looks more like the old page and displays the information under the image as before.
....and with a single tip Mr Angry, that nice Mr Robinson, saves Ed from needing to look for a new photo hosting site. AWESOME, Peter. Thanks a thrumpty million. I definitely owe you a beer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:55:20 PM by Ed Wenn »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm wondering myself Ed. But I have to agree that Flickr is really handy for embedding images. For the extra safety should a Forum upgrade go wrong, you know  ::)

You're just a troublemaker aren't you, Herr Hafner?

;) :D ;D 8)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2013, 10:15:40 PM »
....and with a single tip Mr Angry, that nice Mr Robinson, saves Ed from needing to look for a new photo hosting site. AWESOME, Peter. Thanks a thrumpty million. I definitely owe you a beer.

Can't claim any originality as I got it from someone else - don't remember who though.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2013, 12:41:53 PM »
You're just a troublemaker aren't you, Herr Hafner?

;) :D ;D 8)

;D ;D ;D

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2013, 05:25:48 AM »
looks like new groups redesign is fully integrated... nope they did not take any of my suggestions, some were very minor spacing tweaks, font size, etc. My group will be much harder to comb thru to look for new photos added to the pool. Randomly looking thru the pool to add photos to my site will be much harder since the thumbs are so large. Deliberately searching for photos within the pool is the only option, let just hope folks use good tags.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:31:04 AM by tkmedia »
tk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »
let just hope folks use good tags.
Not to be a party pooper but how many times have you seen really good tags?
Francois