Author Topic: More with the Flickr thing...  (Read 68746 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: More with the Flickr thing...
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2016, 12:07:55 PM »
Or if you're in a DIY mood, I once saw a video of a guy who built his own custom enclosure for video use (and it was pretty wicked).
He built a box in which he put a USB 3.0 hub, two USB3 to SATA adapters and two USB3 memory card readers. He put both drives as mirroring RAID so that the data would be safe. Since he was on USB3, the transfer speeds were pretty mindblowing.

I've had plans to do something similar for some time, except with a twist. I would use 3 hard disks in a stripping RAID with parity configuration and only one card reader (since I don't need to import that many cards anyway). That would give me speeds that are next to internal drive fast and still keep my files secure.

But that's just nerdiness from my part  ;D

Thanks for this Francois but (and please don't take this as me being in any way critical) I haven't got a clue what any of that means  :o

I have never been a tecchie and doubt I ever will be.  I've heard of RAID but wouldn't know one if I tripped over one.  The problem is that if I go to a computer hardware shop, they could sell me anything and I wouldn't know whether it was good, bad or indifferent.  I've found my way round a Mac and it does the job my old PC used to do but, for me, a lot quicker / more efficiently and it takes up a hell of a lot less space.  I have a 1TB G-Tech portable hard drive attached to it and I'm going to start uploading photos I want to keep from the disks I burned that were originally stored on my PC (and Seagate) hard drive.  I'll buy some more capacity though, as I doubt 1TB will be enough. 

Apparently, there was a way to move the data direct from PC to the new Mac but, despite people telling me what kit I needed and how to do it, I never figured it out and ended up burning CDs before binning my old, slow and perpetually crashing, PC.

I'll retain the CDs and have their content on a hard drive.  I've thought about using Flickr for additional storage but (and I can't explain why) it just doesn't appeal to me.  Maybe it's all the stuff around them trying to claim rights over photos posted there or the uncertainty over Yahoo's impending sale.  However, between negs, CDs and a hard drive, I'm hoping that'll be enough to protect my little collection - at least for now.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2016, 03:01:52 PM »
LD: you could also use either Google drive or Dropbox. They have a little program that looks like a regular folder. You just open it and copy your stuff in it to make it land on some protected server somewhere. As simple as it can get.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2016, 03:23:54 PM »
My account is still live but I haven't posted there in years. In the mean time I'm kind of hooked on Instagram.

Has anyone else made that switch? Or switched to something else entirely (or nothing at all)?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2016, 09:11:10 PM »
I know a lot of people went to iPernity a while back... I just stayed out of laziness.
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2016, 10:25:30 PM »
Or if you're in a DIY mood, I once saw a video of a guy who built his own custom enclosure for video use (and it was pretty wicked).
He built a box in which he put a USB 3.0 hub, two USB3 to SATA adapters and two USB3 memory card readers. He put both drives as mirroring RAID so that the data would be safe. Since he was on USB3, the transfer speeds were pretty mindblowing.

I've had plans to do something similar for some time, except with a twist. I would use 3 hard disks in a stripping RAID with parity configuration and only one card reader (since I don't need to import that many cards anyway). That would give me speeds that are next to internal drive fast and still keep my files secure.

But that's just nerdiness from my part  ;D

Flower Foul! Too many RAID references in one post. If you are wondering, yes... one is the limit.

Y44-Konica160-010 by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2016, 10:27:53 PM »
Unless you're in reality thinking about bug spray  ;)  :o :o :o :o  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2016, 10:44:58 PM »
I love SSD but only as a work drive, for storage, not so sure about that.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2016, 11:09:47 PM »
My account is still live but I haven't posted there in years. In the mean time I'm kind of hooked on Instagram.

Has anyone else made that switch? Or switched to something else entirely (or nothing at all)?

I have not made that switch, they serve completely different purposes for me. Instagram has low resolution images that you can't zoom on, Flickr can store tons of images at full resolution and I can adjust permissions.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2016, 11:23:34 PM »
For storage, the good old drives are now pretty reliable, pretty fast and most of all cheaper.

And they have those new helium filled drives that are faster and quieter...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2016, 12:36:49 AM »
And they have those new helium filled drives that are faster and quieter...

and lighter?   ;D

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:29 AM »
Instagram has low resolution images that you can't zoom on, Flickr can store tons of images at full resolution and I can adjust permissions.
my instagram photos looks crap compared to flickr, twitter and last check facebook. Flickr store your photo in multiple resolutions. upload high res and it makes lower res files as well.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2016, 06:33:51 AM »
Okay, valid advice on disks here. Thanks. A bit sad because I just love how silent they are! :P ;D

Ipernity? I tried checking some groups last week and man does it look dead. Flickr seems like bustling with discussions compared to it.
/jonas

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #214 on: July 25, 2016, 09:55:10 PM »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »
mmm...
At least it wasn't bought by KFC  :o
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2016, 09:35:35 PM »
Could have been worse, could have been the Daily Hate Fail Mail who bought it.
If that'd happened, I would have been straight on there deleting my entire account.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »
Or the National Enquirer  ;D
Just imagine them adding a picture of Elvis in every photo you post there ;)
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2016, 04:12:20 PM »
Reviving an old thread here
If you're using Flickr, it's definitely time to change your password!

I've been reading the news this morning and yet another block fell on Yahoo and Flickr... and they weren't quick to give the news, something that I find even more worrisome than the rest. Back in 2014, they had a massive security breach with 500 million passwords stolen. And it took them all this time to get around to tell people that they should change their passwords!

Talk about efficiency...
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2016, 11:28:31 PM »
I can never remember mine anyway so if anyone else out there knows it, could they please let me know.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2016, 11:40:33 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #221 on: October 13, 2016, 03:50:15 PM »
Have you seen the new flickr?
I don't get the promo bar on the right and have all the pictures that I follow in two columns.
Neat!
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2016, 08:14:47 AM »
I'm still with the new old. just recently coming back to flickr after not really having the time since summer. feels like I've fallen out of the groove with looking at photos...
/jonas

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #223 on: October 19, 2016, 08:35:18 AM »
yesssss

/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #224 on: December 15, 2016, 09:26:11 PM »
Has anybody noticed that since we have the new screen fewer of the pictures we post get commented on or liked?
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
Reviving an old thread here...
I noticed something lately on Flickr and I want to know if I'm the only one to whom this happens?
I sometimes (well, more often than expected) get a message that somebody is following my photos or just likes one of the pictures I posted. Then out of curiosity check out that person's profile only to find out it's from a woman who's portfolio site is a sex service site...

So, am I the only one or is this a new trend in spamming?
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »
Reviving an old thread here...
I noticed something lately on Flickr and I want to know if I'm the only one to whom this happens?
I sometimes (well, more often than expected) get a message that somebody is following my photos or just likes one of the pictures I posted. Then out of curiosity check out that person's profile only to find out it's from a woman who's portfolio site is a sex service site...

So, am I the only one or is this a new trend in spamming?

That just happened to me for the first time yesterday.  It was a woman who just joined Flickr this month and has a few semi nude photos and a link to a web site.  She's following me but I didn't reciprocate, she doesn't seem to be shooting film.  Probably just using Flickr to advertise her web site. 

https://www.flickr.com/people/152566785@N06/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2017, 04:47:42 PM »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »
Me too.

I've also had other people pushing their goods/website.

I just block them. Their comment/fav or whatever then disappears and they can't do it again.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2017, 06:28:46 PM »
Seems to be an emerging trend. Sort of odd that it is coming up now considering how old Flickr is. I guess Instagram and Snapchat are saturated?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:31:59 PM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:35 PM »
I think they must have begun cleaning it up. Two of the people who liked me now have a 404 page...

But this sure was a weird experience and I'm happy that I'm not the only one who had these!
This sure was a weird experience and such a party pooper. I went from YAY! someone likes my photos to Cute girl to WTF to crap just another spammer... all in less than 5 minutes...
Francois

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:06 AM »
I don't get that. I'm feeling left out!  ???
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
Well, I must admit that at first sight it's definitely worth a look.... We don't have girls that look like that around here!
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2017, 04:21:52 PM »
Well, I must admit that at first sight it's definitely worth a look.... We don't have girls that look like that around here!

Steady! With that last post this thread suddenly feels like something you'd read on a photography forum :-)

For the record I get this all the time on Instaspam and sometimes, but less frequently, on Flickr too.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »
But on the up side, I did gain a few real followers :)
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #235 on: August 07, 2017, 10:28:49 PM »
I've just had six more within an hour. Maybe I'll change my profile to female amd maybe they'll go away - but I could end up getting solicitations from men.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #236 on: August 08, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »
I don't know many girls on Flickr so I can't ask if they get similar"fans".
I got another one a few days ago and reading the titles of the pictures, the intent was pretty clear.
She even claimed she liked cooking naked! I guess she isn't a big fan of bacon ;D
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2017, 10:24:18 PM »
I think I know why a bunch of us are getting these requests now, they're using our "following" list.  I won't name anyone but I noticed my most recent one is following a few people that I am following, including fellow Filmwasters.  They must have a way of automatically following everyone on your list. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #238 on: August 09, 2017, 01:38:02 PM »
Worst thing is that I don't know of any way to stop this....
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »
Worst thing is that I don't know of any way to stop this....

I do, I just did it.

I deleted my account.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »
I haven't seen any more followers like that for a few weeks now, I wonder if Flickr shut them down.   It's seems like they all came at once and then went away. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2017, 08:31:52 PM »
I haven't seen any more followers like that for a few weeks now, I wonder if Flickr shut them down.   It's seems like they all came at once and then went away.

I've had followers and favs and an invitation to join some FilthyFlickr group. They just kept coming. I reported several but it makes no difference. I'm sure Flickr has the capability of limiting accounts until they are verified to stop this sort of thing but if they can't be bothered then neither can I.

It was useful as an image host but there are other options. I can still browse other peoples images and groups etc. without an account. I can't 'follow' anyone but I didn't follow many anyway and I can always make a link to someone's photosteam if I want. So I don't think I'll miss it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #242 on: August 31, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »
I must admit that it's been rather quiet on the spam front lately...
But I know that just saying this will make them all come back like hordes of zombies looking for some fresh brains.  ::)
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
More on the flickr thing, here's s help to get forum code out of the flickr app (you copy the shortlink out of the app snd into this site)
http://tools.rackonly.com/
Would make my life easier -if my particular iOS wasn't the one with the copy bug :p
/jonas

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #244 on: November 07, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »
It looks like the share button is gone completely from the web UI. I am back to using the developer tools in Chrome to drill in to the page elements to get the link.  >:(
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
It looks like the share button is gone completely from the web UI. I am back to using the developer tools in Chrome to drill in to the page elements to get the link.  >:(

I still have a share button but most of the options are missing like the one I use, BB Code.  Maybe they are just making changes or updating something.  This is the only option it gives me:

https://flic.kr/p/212YqJi

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2017, 05:50:22 PM »
Web interface seems to be normal for me (via Firefox). Share button, BBCode, everything seems as it was.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2017, 06:52:19 PM »
Yeah they must have been doing a sneaky update. Everything back to "normal" now.
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #248 on: April 20, 2018, 11:19:18 PM »
Just reviving an old thread since it's entirely related
I don't know if you've seen this but Flickr has once again been sold and is now uniting with Smugmug?

https://www.smugmug.com/together/
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2018, 06:13:38 AM »
Not a single film camera in their little promo video (unless you count Instax).
Flickr
Blogger