Author Topic: More with the Flickr thing...  (Read 68955 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: More with the Flickr thing...
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2014, 12:03:13 AM »
I like the "Rain on film" group Jojons, I may have to join to get inspired to take more pictures during the rainy Seattle winter months. 

I'm in a small group called "Use the Force: Unassisted film".  They made everyone in the group moderators, all 56 of us, so that's the only one I moderate. 

https://www.flickr.com/groups/usetheforce/pool/?donepending=1

I just joined both of these groups, and tried to add a photo to the rain on film group and found that it was already there! Weird, I don't remember adding it, but I'm glad it's there :)
yes, I invite photos that I like to the pool to try to advertise the group :)

Usually I see those invites and then join the group. Which is why I'm surprised that my photo was there but I wasn't a member of the group. I must have f*'ed up that time :)

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2014, 02:17:29 AM »
joined the rain group jojonas... but I no longer live in rainy seattle, wa or portland, or area. I live in a drought zone!
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2014, 04:39:14 AM »
I created a Flickr account in 2010 but never really used it until last year. I don't belong to any groups. Wasn't even sure how they worked. I don't know why it hasn't occurred to me until now, but maybe I should join the Filmwasters group!
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2014, 06:35:25 AM »
Wait, there's a Filmwasters group?  :o :P :-\

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »
Yep, it's used for the Blog roll. No discussions and you need to be Leon approved :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »
Oh there, I found it. I guess it's not indexed to show up in a straight search...

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »
I tried to join once and never got approved. Now I can't find it, but I don't add my photos to many groups anymore the allure of views and faves has left me. I am striving to be the Kyūzō of my own photo hobby.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2014, 07:13:22 PM »
I changed when flickr changed. I unfollowed just about everybody, as it was cluttering up my main page. I stopped adding to many groups because I always seem to have trouble with moderation. So I abandoned almost every group. I often delete all my favorites as well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:15:04 PM by tkmedia »
tk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2014, 10:16:29 PM »
Oh there, I found it. I guess it's not indexed to show up in a straight search...
For the Lazy ones, here's the direct link
https://www.flickr.com/groups/filmwasters/
Francois

sgt.brimer

« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
I used to post a lot on Flickr, but not so much anymore. I didn't like the changes to the site, but I stuck with it until I decided to post more on Tumblr. I found that I got more positive feedback from Tumblr (not that I didn't get any on Flickr, I tend to post pictures of cars and this was received better on Tumblr and not so much on Flickr).
I may keep my Flickr page for now but probably won't add much to it. I let my pro account expire and won't renew it anytime soon.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
talking about tubmlr, as it says on the flickr tumblr group all shots that come into the pool are also transferred to the fw tumblr account http://filmwasters.tumblr.com
/jonas

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2014, 04:35:21 PM »
I am member of far too many groups. I try to cull the number now and then, but they seem to reproduce without my (conscious) involvement ;) Admin if two, but they are very narrow in focus, not of interest if you are not already a member.

Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2015, 04:09:19 PM »
Seriously?? They changed it again!!?? Now there are no group links on the feed page and the preview thumbnails are stuck on top of the images. What the heck!!??
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2015, 05:44:55 PM »
I have to say the home feed page thing I don't mind. Once you get used to the fact that names and info were on the top and now they are on the bottom...

Camera roll feature is useless to me, and just to happens to be automatically directed when I click "you" as I usually do. 1 click goes to 2 for me now.

Groups are missing a lot of features.

My page itself looks terrible. Not at all happy with how they are presented.

I'm considering leaving flickr. But to go where... Ipernity is meh. Instagram depresses me, facebook steals your images, photobucket is like the smelly kid in the corner no one wants to be around, 500px requires paid subscription...

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2015, 06:57:18 PM »
seems a lot of polaroid shooters went to twitter? twitter is nice but it sucks for organising and looking up photos.

there were groups links on the feed page?
/jonas

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2015, 09:16:32 PM »
Yes, on teh right hand side of the photo feed, there would be a couple of previews from groups you belong to. It was nice to just click on it to go see what was happening on the Microfilm group or the 120 group, etc. They are making the web interface more and more like the mobile app interface which is weird since the screen geometry and user actions are very different in the two environments.
Flickr
Blogger

scapevision

« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2015, 01:52:32 AM »
I no longer care, and I found a workaround to display Recent Discussions  8)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »
I read the blog post about the big changes but everything looks the same to me so far... but in the preview shots it just looks like a bunch of little squares? flickr defnly has identity issues and though it's my primary uploading site, it's always felt like a beta site, constantly changing and trying to figure out what it wants to be. and half the stuff doesn't work properly, like the maps thing.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »
Film in Chinatown
Chinatown captured on film.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/2455778@N20/

Ah, so you must have been the one who invited me in :P

I'm a "member" of 75-odd groups, but mostly I'm just a leech ... I submit photos when they fit the theme only so that I can get views and faves. I don't even read the discussions  :-[ But when I'm Googling a problem and come upon a helpful Flickr thread (which is quite often actually), I will sometimes join in.
You don't look 75 years old in your avitar :D

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »
They have also added an auto-tagging feature. This is irritating because it puts a bunch of meaningless tags on a photo like "outdoor" or "depth of field" or "plant". I have my own tag ontology that I use and I don't really care to have it cluttered up with random stuff. I can see for digipics adding exif into the tags, but for film that has been scanned, I think people are more interested in the camera, the film, the development and maybe the camera settings. If you really want to find a million photos of "plants", use Google.
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2015, 10:39:33 PM »
All I can think of right now is this

Check this out
http://parkorbird.flickr.com/
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2015, 11:20:15 PM »
One of my favorite XKCD comics :D

Did Flickr actually develop that in response to the cartoon, or was the cartoon a parody of the Flickr service? Basically, which came first, the chicken or the National Park?

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »
I wonder what the tags will say when I upload my "I'm leaving flickr in favour of _____" image.

Also my final straw came here:

Nice little complain button in the bottom left. A nice little f*ck you to fact that they know people are going to complain and generally not be happy about their changes. Clearly some designers are bitter on their end.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2015, 02:28:06 PM »
One of my favorite XKCD comics :D

Did Flickr actually develop that in response to the cartoon, or was the cartoon a parody of the Flickr service? Basically, which came first, the chicken or the National Park?
The cartoon actually came first. Then the engineers at flickr who saw this thought "hey! We can do that!" And coded the site to prove their might. But I played with it yesterday and it proves to be not all that great. I submitted a picture of a plastic lawn flamingo and it said it wasn't a bird. Then I sent a picture of pigeons taking flight from a lamp post and it said it wasn't a bird. Then I sent a picture of our pet dove in a cardboard easter chocolate box (she loved all the little paper strips in it) and it still said it wasn't a bird!

So I guess it only works for full birds and not partial ones or multiple ones....
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
Changes appeared yesterday for me. Not tons different, mostly the compressed photo grouping. The autotags dont seem to happen if you type your own tags in, or maybe my polaroids are too confusing for the system. I can see that they were going for a slightly "cleaner" look, though a lot of the inner page still look like flickr two years ago, like "recent activity", which is fine by me. They really need to fix the shitty map. It has gotten worse in the past few months. Particularly Japan, where I can't zoom in anymore and a lot of the locations are now incorrect (probably because you can't zoom in and it generalizes).

What kind of bothers me is the focus on top to bottom...like nothing is on the side. The groups beta is a good example, a line of photos on top, a line of discussions is below. I'm sure this is built for mobile devices, but it all seems very constrained and over simplified on a computer. Feels kinds of like my old Richard Powers website before I learned to use tables, back in 1999.
                                                                  - John Waters

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
Apparently, this is classed as 'food'.

110827_neo4_07 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

I've asked for a single button to remove all auto-tags.  And that went onto page 27 of their complaints thread.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2015, 07:35:37 PM »
a lot of mine were tagged as drawing, and photo border. I actually do want a auto tag feature, but I want one that is assigned to a album. say you tag a album with "B&W" "portrait" and when you add photo to it to automatically add  "B&W" "portrait" tags to each photo.
tk

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »
Just logged in to upload for the weekend thread

I don't like it, autotag sucks and i'd just got used to the last "beta"

I'm seriously considering self hosting in the future

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
Oh well... at least it's pretty good at figuring out if the picture was taken indoors or out  ::)
Francois

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2015, 12:17:30 AM »
They don't make it at flickr. No mercy. They wanted to get back the "what`s app" kids, had a short success for a few months and are tumbling down again fast and furiously, trying and messing up everything. The rescuing "/?details=1" addition for the stream page now has to be added manually also for your own stream, it was available until yesterday at least for your own stream with one click on the "edit" button, now gone. They don't understand nothing, brave new world. Hubsypubsydumdidum, Ms. CEO Mayer. But for 300 million/year I would sing "my bonny is over the ocean" ten times a day. At least. After twelve days I would be a millionaire. So beware!  ;D

Stats: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/flickr.com
A pity they don't show anymore the stats for former years. They once were on rank 20 or so, iirc?

It's an old story, folks. You get nothing for nothing. Flickr as all big iinternet services only makes money with us, with our data. We can't rely on anything that's paid with our data. Everybody needs more and more and if it becomes less, they die.  I give less and less. If that shouldn't work anymore someday, so what? Nobody can buy my soul. I'm not Dr. Faustus. Only for twelve days.....

I guess they can't do much at flickr, times are changing. Their trials are looking so helpless. What's app and facebook rule the world, but without me. I'm no loss for them and they are not for me. I save the f-word for much more important things.

Love and peace for everybody .....

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:28:04 AM by imagesfrugales »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2015, 01:23:34 AM »
I uploaded a photo to Flickr just now and came up against the new look. To be honest (which, incidentally, means the same as "TBH" in case you were wondering) I just thought, "Oh they've changed it again. Ho hum." and didn't even bother looking into what that meant particularly. I fell out of love with the place the last time round and now just use it to host pictures for linking to from Filmwasters.

scapevision

« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2015, 03:31:13 AM »
Apparently, this is classed as 'food'.

110827_neo4_07 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

I've asked for a single button to remove all auto-tags.  And that went onto page 27 of their complaints thread.

that's obviously doughnuts

scapevision

« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2015, 03:32:59 AM »
a lot of mine were tagged as drawing, and photo border. I actually do want a auto tag feature, but I want one that is assigned to a album. say you tag a album with "B&W" "portrait" and when you add photo to it to automatically add  "B&W" "portrait" tags to each photo.

I use Lightroom to tag all my shit

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2015, 02:06:52 PM »
Oh well... at least it's pretty good at figuring out if the picture was taken indoors or out  ::)

yeah i got my first auto-tag yesterday. A very clever "outdoors".

The only reason I continue to use flickr is a lack of decent alternatives, and I have like 6000 photos there already.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 02:09:13 PM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2015, 02:42:53 PM »
At least, for the disgruntled ones, you can now bulk download all your images in one go.
A handy thing for those who use it as a backup. But since I only upload resized images, it's not very helpful to me as a backup.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #185 on: June 13, 2016, 09:56:26 AM »
BOOM! notes on photos can be seen again :)

great for stuff like this:
C-41 home development by Dick Claésson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:00:06 AM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

Terry

« Reply #186 on: June 13, 2016, 11:56:31 AM »
Hey!  How'd you get into my kitchen????

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2016, 01:25:49 PM »
Thanks for flagging this topic up; I must remember to go onto my bit of Flickr and delete my photos / account, etc. 
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2016, 02:05:07 PM »
At least you're not hosting them on the face place. They're twisting people's arm to force them to ditch their old program and switch to the new one or else they will delete everything...
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #189 on: June 13, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »
Thanks for flagging this topic up; I must remember to go onto my bit of Flickr and delete my photos / account, etc. 
:(
/jonas

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #190 on: June 13, 2016, 10:28:03 PM »

Yup, not sure why you'd delete a free account.  Personally I find lots that's positive about Flickr even though my usage has changed alongside its format adjustments.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #191 on: June 14, 2016, 08:33:03 AM »

Yup, not sure why you'd delete a free account.  Personally I find lots that's positive about Flickr even though my usage has changed alongside its format adjustments.

I just don't go on there much at all these days.  It's months since I posted anything and most of the "groups" I joined are mostly moribund in terms of activity other than posting / storing photos.  I'm not short of storage options for what little output I have as I've just built my own website and I'm going to buy a 2TB hard drive.  I also back up what I scan to disk (and I have the negatives / slides).

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #192 on: June 14, 2016, 02:10:16 PM »
If you get a new drive, just make sure it's not a Seagate. They don't have the reputation for reliability that they once had with some people seeing them crash after only a few weeks of use.

It's said that the best ones these days are from Hitachi.
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2016, 03:22:26 PM »

I just don't go on there much at all these days.  It's months since I posted anything and most of the "groups" I joined are mostly moribund in terms of activity other than posting / storing photos.  I'm not short of storage options for what little output I have as I've just built my own website and I'm going to buy a 2TB hard drive.  I also back up what I scan to disk (and I have the negatives / slides).

I do all of that too, and the groups are not what they were, but it's still a principal collection point for many and that has a value for me.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #194 on: June 14, 2016, 09:17:26 PM »
If you get a new drive, just make sure it's not a Seagate. They don't have the reputation for reliability that they once had with some people seeing them crash after only a few weeks of use.

Thanks for the tip.  When I had a PC, I had a Seagate and, although it was a bit whirry / noisy it lasted okay but I never felt 100% safe.  However, I have a G-Technology one just now and will probably get another - or a maybe LaCie.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2016, 09:47:29 PM »

Thanks for the tip.  When I had a PC, I had a Seagate and, although it was a bit whirry / noisy it lasted okay but I never felt 100% safe.  However, I have a G-Technology one just now and will probably get another - or a maybe LaCie.

I've seen a lot of external drives die (belonging to customers who's data is commercially and clinically important and who should know better). I always recommend you get a RAID and use two drives of different types. That way you can be pretty safe is one dies. Not a perfect solution, but better than relying on one drive of any make. It's what I do and it's paid off for me. I also do another backup as well, just in case.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Terry

« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »
Paul, be aware that G-Technology is just Western Digital in a fancy box.  And the last time I pried a LaCie open I think it had a Hitachi drive in it...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2016, 10:48:40 PM »
Or if you're in a DIY mood, I once saw a video of a guy who built his own custom enclosure for video use (and it was pretty wicked).
He built a box in which he put a USB 3.0 hub, two USB3 to SATA adapters and two USB3 memory card readers. He put both drives as mirroring RAID so that the data would be safe. Since he was on USB3, the transfer speeds were pretty mindblowing.

I've had plans to do something similar for some time, except with a twist. I would use 3 hard disks in a stripping RAID with parity configuration and only one card reader (since I don't need to import that many cards anyway). That would give me speeds that are next to internal drive fast and still keep my files secure.

But that's just nerdiness from my part  ;D
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2016, 08:24:41 AM »
I'm pretty much sold on SSDs if noone can convince me otherwise.
when I replace my current back up drive that's what I'm planning to get atleast.
/jonas

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2016, 10:43:02 AM »
Jonas, I would be very reluctant to put important data on an SSD. I had a Samsung SSD as a system disk on my computer and one day it just died. The computer was not able to see that there was a disk connected at all, it was totally gone. I'm not sure if it's possible to save any data from a dead SSD. From a physical disc it is at least possible to save most of the data unless it is a total crash, and they occure very seldom.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/