Author Topic: Golden Years  (Read 1982 times)

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
Golden Years
« on: June 03, 2007, 09:08:27 PM »
Wah wah wah. While I am entering my golden years at the age of 44...my body is shot and I think my mind is right behind it. But not my creativity! I hope not. I have been incredibly lazy on account of the work load and taking pictures is sometimes a chore as I just want to sleep. But I'm managing to do both and even playing around with the cameras and with hackabilities. I've got more projects started and laying on my floor than I can count.

Anyhow, I think I have 5 cameras that are loaded with 35mm, and there they will sit. I have a hard time scanning 35mm, so I took the Holga and just made a simple addition with gaffers tape right across the film gate/mask for panoramas. Cake.

I've had a pretty successful roll with that fancy footwork on it and would like to keep it there for a while till I get bored. The tape shifts somewhat but I wanted that to happen as the film drives over, as opposed to 35mm with its holes and straight lines.

Here's the modification and examples...

So, with another Holga...I had the idea of building a curved film gate/plane/mask, etc. to hopefully render the same images as above with the panorama mod, but only having images funky, weird and wobbly like the example down below...I used the pinch tool in ps to demonstrate the possibilities. It is just a guess really and wishful thinking that pictures will come out as such...though I highly doubt they will. Now that I look at the curved pieces of plastic, they don't seem that arched enough to render a different effect. I was able to attach the lid by building up around the back of the camera with foam board, glitter glue sticks and tape to see the film numbers...oh my. I haven't ran any film through it yet and want to wait for predictions and suggestions, etc., from some of you.

...thanks for strolling with me in my

GOLDEN YEARS

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:13:22 PM by beck »
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
Re: Golden Years
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 02:56:08 PM »
So, with another Holga...I had the idea of building a curved film gate/plane/mask, etc. to hopefully render the same images as above with the panorama mod, but only having images funky, weird and wobbly like the example down below...I used the pinch tool in ps to demonstrate the possibilities. It is just a guess really and wishful thinking that pictures will come out as such...though I highly doubt they will. Now that I look at the curved pieces of plastic, they don't seem that arched enough to render a different effect. I was able to attach the lid by building up around the back of the camera with foam board, glitter glue sticks and tape to see the film numbers...oh my. I haven't ran any film through it yet and want to wait for predictions and suggestions, etc., from some of you.

I think I've kind of done the same thing, but in reverse, by running 35mm through an old 127 camera which had a curved film plane. Because the film was too narrow to be held to the curve, it was pulled closer to the lens in the centre, so the centre was out of focus and it became progressively sharper towards the edge.

It certainly gives a strange result, images that are sharper at the edges really aren't something we're used to seeing I guess!  I only ran a short test roll through it without really thinking, ( sticking subjects bang in the centre of the frame because I hadn't realised what was going to happen!) so my results weren't very inspiring, but perhaps with a little more care over compositon there may be some possibilites....

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 02:22:24 PM »
Forty-four? Ha! I wish. I still get mistaken for being `young`, I have to add gray tips to my hair to get cred at work...

As for the projects; too much messing with my mind. I saw the results, freaked, then read the story. You tease. I want to see the back you make for this Holga beasty. I suspect you'll get edges in focus, but center just blur. You might though stumble on plastic nirvana... Skj.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 09:23:23 PM »
I must say I've now pretty much given up on home made stuff. I have a ton of junk which just won't work anymore thanks to my "improvements"  ::)

The only "success" I ever had with those was when I made the almost unusable Sock-Oscopeā„¢

Very long focal Length (around 160mm) with continuously variable focus, tilt and shift features. Impossible to handhold. Made of a simple dollar store magnifier, thermal socks and a tin of Pringles chips. Plenty of glue, handy usage of the sewing machine to prevent fraying, a set of extension tubes to block-off light and there you have it :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »
Great idea so simple,  and i love the  images you have created from your modification.   if i do the same sometime with success i will give you credit for the mod.