Author Topic: Amsterdam - May 2013  (Read 2502 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Amsterdam - May 2013
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:07:29 PM »
I've been to Amsterdam a few times. The last-but-one time, I asked Lara to marry me and bought her engagement ring. It's always been a special place for us both and we always enjoy returning there.

If anyone wants to visit Amsterdam, I recommend end of April through to June. The temperature is perfect (not too hot or cold) and the flowers are in their prime.

Amsterdam is also a great cultural melting pot, celebrating its own history (Rembrandt, Hals and van Gogh, etc) as well as other major artists from across the globe. Right now there's a show at the new media exhibition centre / cinema "Eye" profiling work by Johan van der Keuken. Definitely not my taste but what do I know.....

Amsterdam May 2013 by rushfan2112 (Late Developer), on Flickr

Then there's the sights to be seen around the streets. On one corner, adjacent to the Centraal Station, a guy wearing a horses head (presumably as a disguise) was playing songs for a few pennies in an attempt to save for an engagement ring. This struck a chord with me, so I dropped a few Euros and wished him well. No-one seems surprised by this sort of antic - Amsterdam is a pretty chilled place.

At this time of year, Tulips are a blaze of colour across the Netherlands. Originating from Turkey, Tulips were, in the 17th century, so prized that their value was greater than their equivalent weight in gold. This "bubble" burst rapidly but not before some made their fortunes and others lost their shirts.

This shot is of a small tub planted with the most glorious red / orange flecked flowers. The main streets and city gardens are full of these and the re-opening of the Rijksmuseum after a 10-year re-fit, together with the crowning of a new King has seen unprecedented celebrations and more flowers on the streets than I've ever seen on previous visits.

I'll add more to this thread later in the week when I've had chance to process some more photos....watch this space......
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Re: Amsterdam - May 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:02:50 AM »
Beautiful shots Paul! And I love Amsterdam, too. I've only been once for two days and most of the time I was inside (conference), but that was enough to convince me that I have to come back. Maybe even this summer.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »
I like Amsterdam too, if only for the Vlamse Frites ;) Just kidding. A real cultural melting pot of a town, and beautiful too.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:07:57 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this evolve Paul. I sailed there in 2008. The worst sail I've ever had, but it was worth it to get into the IJsselmeer and stop a few nights at Monikendam. We stayed at Ijmuiden after that and got the bus into Amsterdam a few nights. Fascinating place.

L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
One of the best ways of getting around Amsterdam, given there's about of 100 miles (163Km) of canals packed into a relatively small city, is the "Hop-on, Hop-off" water bus. A daily ticket isn't too expensive and you can spend all day just pootling around and taking in the sights.

On one such trip, we got off the boat opposite the Anne Frank house. I've always wanted to visit but, despite visiting at various times of the day, it's always had a massive queue for tickets - let alone actually getting into the place. I've read the book and will visit one day but, without wishing to be disrespectful, it's a bit of a circus and a few people I've spoken to that have been into the house seem to miss the point by treating as an "attraction" rather than an historic remnant of a time that must never be repeated. I digress....

Staying on the western side of the canal from Anne Frank's house allows you to take a stroll around the Jordaan. No-one seems to know how it came to have this name but a tour guide on the canal bus suggested that it's a take on the French word "Jardin" (Garden). I'm not convinced. Apparently, much of it was originally low class accommodation for local workers. Not exactly likely to be a place of open, healthy spaces in 17th Century Holland.

Incidentally, the first 3 photos were taken on slightly out of date Kodak Ektar 100 (35mm) using my Nikon F3HP and either 20mm f2.8, 35mm f2.0, 50mm f1.2 or 105mm f2.5 lenses. Minimal PP work other than adjusting levels, adding a border and a tad of sharpening.

The next 3 photos were taken using the same camera / lenses but on Fuji Superia 400 (colour print) film and converted using the channel mixer technique in Photoshop CS3.

This is Westerkerk, almost next to the Ann Frank house:

AMSTERDAM by rushfan2112 (Late Developer), on Flickr

Shortly after taking the shot of Westerkerk, I was nearly mown down by this pair of loonies. Lara alerting me to get out of the road sharpish allowed me just enough time to get a grab shot:

I'm not sure whether Amsterdam cyclists are mad, have lightning reflexes or just don't care if they hit someone but they are virtually silent until they ding their bell at you and, if they're coming at you from behind, it's an evens bet whether you're going to jump into or out of their way.

One "fact" we were told on the canal bus is that the canals are 3 metres deep "1 metre mud, one metre bicycles and one metre water". This I don't doubt as a few cyclists (probably tourists on rented bikes) came perilously close to taking an impromptu dip.

The other classier and more sedate transport option is the horse and carriage. I daren't imagine the cost but these beasts were immaculately turned out - and the horses weren't bad either  ;)

Okay, some more to come later in the week. Hope you like these.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »
I spent nearly six months in A'dam in my twenties and it was a good place to be.  It was really only on my last trip, as a student in '87, that I had the time to indulge in the galleries and shoot a few familiar details.  Your grab shot shows excellent presence of mind !!