Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 836965 times)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2013, 01:56:47 AM »
^ great find!

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 07:28:08 AM »
The 621 is a brilliant find, and I'm in no way surprised that the shutter was on speed.  I'm only upset now that I paid more for mine.  (Though mine does have a flash pc sync.)

Mix up some matt and gloss enamel together for the top, and some Indian ink for the leather, and she'll look like new. 

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
......At $30, can any of you honestly say you would have been able to walk away from it?
I certainly wouldn't have been able to resist. Well done.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »
The 621 is a brilliant find, and I'm in no way surprised that the shutter was on speed.  I'm only upset now that I paid more for mine.  (Though mine does have a flash pc sync.)

Mix up some matt and gloss enamel together for the top, and some Indian ink for the leather, and she'll look like new. 

This is an early one with the second red window on the bottom (marked 6x9, which makes no sense for this camera; I wonder if the same door was used on some other model).

As to cleaning and restoring, my intent is to get it mechanically sound but leave it looking well-used. The lenses were fogged beyond belief, but they are now clean (the viewing lens has some rubbing wear in the center of the front element, presumably from the case). Light cleaning and lubrication of the shutter and aperture mechanisms and the focusing helicoids has been done to get them working more smoothly. The leather has been touched up. It will need a focusing screen and a mirror; the mirror was essentially unusable in its found state, but cleaning is impossible without removing the silvering, and the screen is cracked - I temporarily repaired it with packing tape, but as it stands, the viewing portion of the camera is less than optimal. I need to see what I can cobble together on the cheap - no sense spending more for a couple bits than I spent for the whole camera.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »
Great find! A rollei is such a classic.

For the mirror, you can find some nice ones in old 600 series Polaroids. All they need is to be cut down to size.

I know some of us have had problems cutting such thin mirrors in the past but I might have a solution. Putting the mirror on an absorbent towel (paper towel preferably) and dousing it regularly with some tap water (to cool it down) as you cut it with a diamond saw on a dremel. That should prevent cracking and allow for a decent cut.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
A donor Polaroid might be your best bet, as http://www.uscamera.com/04265.00.0usc.htm seem to be out of stock at present.  I've used both.  You might find the date of assembly written on the back of the old mirror - mine was 1934.

I'd disagree about spending.  With a good screen (I installed a cheap Beattie) and a new mirror, you'll have the best that a Tessar can provide.   8)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »
So jealous of your Canon P, O2Pilot! Fantastic buy!

I'm going to blaspheme a bit and assume that someday I'll be shooting digital. As I ponder that transition, I've been wanting to hoard glass, start testing out lenses and adapters, etc. I stumbled across a write-up of the Canon EF-M, which is an all-manual 35mm Canon in the EOS style, with the standard EF mount. So I picked up this monster:

I'm Batcam! by knapjack, on Flickr

...with an M42-to-EF adapter and a battered-but-free Auto Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f/1.8. Just souped a test roll of Kentmere 100 this morning, looking forward to scrutinizing the scans. Both the camera and the film are new to me, so probably not the best test choice. :)

By Tuesday I had ordered a C/Y-to-EF adapter for a Yashica ML 50mm f/1.7 that I love (along with some additional camera strap stuff I should share at some point). Saturday, went on a garage sale adventure with the family and found this for $8:

Untitled by knapjack, on Flickr

The rear element and mount are filthy with dirt and grime but I don't think it's seriously marred or has any fungus. I think it's salvageable. On the fence whether to keep it or sell it off to pay for my addiction. Tomorrow selling to a co-worker a Canonet QL17 G-lll that I've had for over a year and haven't replaced the light seals on it. I figure at least it'll go to a good home, and I can pay for the next batch of film.

Excuse the Instagrams. What else are you supposed to do with a camera lens on your phone?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »
Excuse the Instagrams. What else are you supposed to do with a camera lens on your phone?
No excuses required
Francois

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2013, 02:12:16 PM »
A Pentax SV to complement or even replace my SP1000 (act up when cold)
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »
A Pentax SV to complement or even replace my SP1000 (act up when cold)

"Introduced in 1962, the Asahi Pentax SV (known as the Honeywell Pentax HV in the U.S.) represented the opposite pole of SLR development to Nippon Kogaku's Nikon F which was three years old at the time.

Where the Nikon is a rough tough bruiser built to take on anything the user can throw at it, the SV is almost a jewel: compact, precise and beautifully finished. Despite its delicate appearance, though, the Pentax is very nearly as tough as the Nikon and there are still plenty of examples on the used camera market, many of which have obviously survived years of heavy use."

In one word - I want one.   :P   Ooopsy. Its three words.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:24:08 PM by Fluminian »
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2013, 04:50:05 PM »
Pentax SV? makes me think of that David Bailey film "We'll take Manhattan". though I think he said in the film that it was an S2 (or S3?)

how can you shoot with such a amateur camera?? haha :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:51:59 PM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2013, 05:08:18 PM »
I want that one too.  ;D

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
The SV is arguably more attractive than the Spotmatic. Slimmer and smaller in all but the depth at the lens mount. Apart from a loose strap lug, this one seems to be in nice condition.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »
Beautiful cameras!

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
While preparing for the arrival of THE new toy, err, I mean, tool I've just picked up a nice 300mm Symmar-S, witch shutter and lensboard - and only for half the price of a new shutter.
With this I'd consider the lens-set more-or less complete for time being - 240-300-480mm should cover most of the situations..
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2013, 10:31:33 AM »
Beautiful cameras!

Thank you. Might be persuaded to part with the SP1000 on the right. It works fine, except in the cold (sub zero), when the mirror has a propensity to hang. Once warmed up it returns.

Another note:

Notice the yellow tint on the Super Takumar? It has been protected by a UV filter all its life, and the radioactive element has never seen as much as a UV photon. I need to expose it some serious sunlight ;)
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2013, 11:28:06 AM »
Beautiful cameras!

Thank you. Might be persuaded to part with the SP1000 on the right. It works fine, except in the cold (sub zero), when the mirror has a propensity to hang. Once warmed up it returns.

Another note:

Notice the yellow tint on the Super Takumar? It has been protected by a UV filter all its life, and the radioactive element has never seen as much as a UV photon. I need to expose it some serious sunlight ;)

So it's on of the "Thoriated Camera Lenses" with lanthanum and other radioactive elements?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2013, 12:40:33 PM »
Pentax SV? makes me think of that David Bailey film "We'll take Manhattan". though I think he said in the film that it was an S2 (or S3?)

how can you shoot with such a amateur camera?? haha :D

It was an S3. I had one for a while but failed miserably to look as cool as Bailey did (does?)  8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2013, 03:58:19 PM »
I need to expose it some serious sunlight ;)
Just imagine walking in a tanning salon and asking for some time for your lens  ;)
Francois

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2013, 07:39:15 PM »
The fella whose darkroom I borrowed the other day said as much. (I bought the SV from him too). His wife has a face tanning device, and it´s been put to use as a Thorium lens whitener.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »
His wife has a face tanning device, and it´s been put to use as a Thorium lens whitener.
You make it sound so much like one of those toothpaste commercials  :P
Francois

soeren

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2013, 05:04:20 AM »
After the arrival of my chamonix 45 F1 I have picked up a pack of Tri-X, a Lee Big Stopper + plus adapter for my lenses(only need one for my 20 mm nikon) and latest the lens plates arrived for my 65mm and 150 mm schneiders. Still waiting for the f-stop tilopa bc to show up.
Best regards
Soeren
Naestved, Denmark

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »
A display cabinet to put (some) of the gear in:

top shelf: Pola SX70, Blackbird, Tropical Carbine (love it) Eumig C3m, Leica APS silver C11
Next: Koni-Omega Rapid, Blad 500CM, Leica R8 - that's enough weight on that shelf
Next: Pola Image Pro, Pola 600, Bencini Koroll, Zero Image 2000 pin, Zorki 10, Fuji Nexia Q1 APS in purple(!), Petri Racer - mint condition & such a looker -my £20 stunner.
Bottom: shelf: Leica 80-200, Blad 150, additional Blad back with a millennium DS, Ensign FulVue in blue, Yashica Lynx1.4 and 2 rangefinders: GHD imp & metric and an imperial JL which works a treat.

Problem - where will I put the other stuff when it arrives? Might hide it from Mrs Zapsnaps in a filing cabinet.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

OkieRA29

• 35mm
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »
Some film cassettes, a hundred feet of Ilford HP5+, Kodak Stop bath and Ilford fast fix.  Took forever to find the film cassettes.  The pimply faced kid at the photo store looked at me like I had a 3rd eye in my forehead when I asked about them.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Usual reaction. For some reason, all the stuff I get from the camera store seems to come with free dust on the boxes!
Francois

kchoquette

• 35mm
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2013, 12:15:07 AM »
I just picked up a Rolleicord V for an insanely good price last week! Super excited about replacing my Yashica D.

Also went to YYE Camera yesterday and got my Leica M4 a CLA. He threw in a free Leitz M4 case from the 60s! Nice guy, that Youxin Ye!

benjiboy

• 35mm
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »
I recently bought two new canon F1 bodys https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=new+canon+f1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=L1qrUeHPEobM0AWvyoC4Dg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=925#facrc=_&imgrc=1_rQ-gXxPOE_EM%3A%3BFr1O one of them with the eye level prism and the other with the AE prism to add to the one I had already. these are the only cameras Iv'e bought in the last 23 years so I don't think anyone can accuse me of having G.A.S.
Ben

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2013, 03:49:52 PM »
I was going to pick up some provia over the weekend. 18.99$ a roll. Processing not included. Couldnt believe it. Looks like I'll be buying from BH more often now.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2013, 04:22:58 PM »
I was going to pick up some provia over the weekend. 18.99$ a roll. Processing not included. Couldnt believe it. Looks like I'll be buying from BH more often now.

That's unbelievable. Even here in Croatia I can buy a roll of Provia 400 120 for US$ 7,50, and I hope it will be even cheaper when Croatia becomes a member of
European Union on July 1st.

Lund

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2013, 08:38:53 PM »
Just sealed a deal on a Durst 1200 with lots and lots of nice stuff (including a huge load of photopaper). Guess this is the start of the slippery slope towards a 4x5 camera.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »
 ;D
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2013, 03:51:33 PM »
nice, I just grabbed a couple 669 too.

shot some 668 from 1984 last night and unbelievably got some cracking results (if you like that kind of thing) - pics to follow soon!

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2013, 07:08:38 PM »
I opened the seal on one pack of 664 this afternoon, and boy did it stink. At least that is a good sign, the chems aren't dried out. FPP recommend rating it 50 ASA, but after my first three frames I can safely say that 100 is more likely correct for this pack, if not for the batch.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2013, 10:33:38 PM »
You're lucky. 100 is good for expired stuff.
Francois

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
....an OM2 Spot Program and T20 flash. The film advance stuck, shutter not releasing, rewind button seemed to be stuck down.

After a few minutes tinkering with the camera, I managed to free everything up and it now works, although I suspect it will freeze again when I rewind the film next time.

Just need to run a film through it now.

Mike

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2013, 09:24:27 AM »
in my experience, if it is sunny or nice and bright, I rate pola film no matter how expired at box speed, but when things start getting overcast or cloudy then I open up one stop, or often stop shooting pola film until the light is good again...

glad you got some results though!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
I bought a Canon A-1 with a 50mm f/1.8 lens last night at Ffordes. Fluminian will be pleased ;)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
I bought a Canon A-1 with a 50mm f/1.8 lens last night at Ffordes. Fluminian will be pleased ;)

Haha! That's a fine camera and there's no doubt I'll be pleased with results.  ;)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »

....aaah. but has it got the A1 "squeak"? If it hasn't got the "squeak", it's not a proper A1  ;)  I used to have an A1 back in the day and it was a lovely camera to use. The other good thing is you can get a heap of top FD and breech-lock lenses for not too much money as well.

I've just picked up an iMac. Yes, I've been seduced by the dork side but my old computer's had it and I could not face Windows 8. My wife (Lara) is a confirmed Apple-o-holic, so she's mentoring me through the migration priocess  :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2013, 02:30:26 PM »
Well, I assume the A-1 has been checked properly by Ffordes and won't have the squeak just yet ;) And yes, the cheap lenses are quite something!

Good choice with the iMac. I'm a Mac person myself and I haven't used Windows for quite some time. Why would I really? Once you've acclimatized to the Mac you will never be able to go back.

Lund

« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2013, 09:00:38 PM »
Got some paper for free when picking up an enlarger... Turned out to be more than I can print in years. But I sure will try.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2013, 03:27:12 PM »
A copy of Fay Godwin's 'Land' from a Charity shop today for £1.25. More than happy with that! They also had an 'Islands' one that she contributed to but that didn't strike me.

benjiboy

• 35mm
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »
I just bought 2 Canon New F1's one body only with the AE finder and the other with the standard eye level prism finder, I've already had a new F1 for more than 20 years, so I now have 3, but this is my favourite SLR camera of all time,and I can load one with slide film , one with colour neg. and one with monochrome and all the accessories and focusing screens can be used on all of them.
Ben

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »
I think this sort of qualifies for this thread.

What began as a carrying case for 12 bottles of fine Slovenian dessert wine...

...is now home to 11 cameras.

After adjusting the dividers to make them a bit lower (easier access, but still protective), I covered the inside with self-adhesive felt. Individual cameras are separated by pieces of thin craft foam; these can be moved around easily, so that the case can accommodate an array of cameras of different sizes and shapes. It holds most of my collection, but not all. I may need to build another for the rest, plus lenses and various accessories. Time for more wine....
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »
Great home for those fine cameras. Far better than using it for Slovenian wines.  Croatian wines are far better ;)
I kid of course. Slovenian wines are fine (maybe a bit too sour for my taste (I'm used to dry red Dalmatian wines).
I like Slovenian wines from Vipava winery though.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »
That's neat, O2pilot, but do you realize what a fantastic pinhole camera could be made from this? What is the format? I mean, size, of the box?

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »
I won't turn this into a Slovenian-Croatian wine war, I promise - suffice it to say there are many different styles produced in Slovenia today, to many different tastes. I make it a practice of sampling a lot of them to determine which ones are to my taste. In fairness, I haven't had too many Croatian wines, but I'll make sure to do extensive field research when I'm there.  ;)

As to building an enormous (the box is 14" x 15" x 6") pinhole camera, I hadn't even considered it. But getting my hands on more cases is not a problem; in fact, I have an even bigger one sitting empty (the divider spacing didn't work as well for camera storage). Hmmmm....

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
As to building an enormous (the box is 14" x 15" x 6") pinhole camera, I hadn't even considered it. But getting my hands on more cases is not a problem; in fact, I have an even bigger one sitting empty (the divider spacing didn't work as well for camera storage). Hmmmm....

Hmm. Looks like I'll have to visit Slovenia one day - to taste some wine and to pick-up some nice cameras.. :)))

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »
I won't turn this into a Slovenian-Croatian wine war, I promise - suffice it to say there are many different styles produced in Slovenia today, to many different tastes. I make it a practice of sampling a lot of them to determine which ones are to my taste. In fairness, I haven't had too many Croatian wines, but I'll make sure to do extensive field research when I'm there.  ;)

No war, not even ridicule, just friendly joking. Try "Dingač" (read Dingatch) if you happen to be in Croatia.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »

No war, not even ridicule, just friendly joking. Try "Dingač" (read Dingatch) if you happen to be in Croatia.

Yes, just a bit of friendly teasing, all in good fun.  :) I will look for that wine when I'm there.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:10:54 PM by 02Pilot »

-Hunter S. Thompson
-