Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 837129 times)

Aksel

• Sheet Film
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #3250 on: January 11, 2018, 09:35:05 AM »

Thanks Aksel! It's finished with a wax oil sealant, so it should withstand a few drops of rain. As for the cost of the umbrella and personnel to hold it I'm afraid I shall have to cover that myself. :D  I have acquired a nicely used Lowepro Vertex 300 to carry the kit, and it has a rain cover in addition to being "splash proof". The goal is to assemble a complete kit (camera, lens, 3 film holders, dark cloth, spot meter and tripod) that weighs in at around 10 kg, rucksack included. Still waiting for the film holders, they are delayed as well I suppose.

well, that is good to hear. Had terrible images in my head, camera delaminating. If you manage to stay under 10kg that would be a mighty handy kit to bring along on hikes. I think my tripod alone is something like 4-5kg to support my Speed Graphic, then again, it´s wood and normally travels by car.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

johnha

« Reply #3251 on: January 11, 2018, 01:14:38 PM »
You're right the left-hand grip is no good for when you're actually shooting but I found it's quite good to hang on to when you're walking around. If I use it a lot I might get one of these.

I've often wondered about these, I've only seen one-offs before, looks like this one might be available?

John.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3252 on: January 11, 2018, 04:13:28 PM »
I just ordered a 100' bulk roll of Kodak Tri-X, it seems to be on sale everywhere today.  Freestyle had the best price at $76.49.  Quantities are limited so if you want some you better hurry.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3253 on: January 11, 2018, 04:45:08 PM »

Thanks Aksel! It's finished with a wax oil sealant, so it should withstand a few drops of rain. As for the cost of the umbrella and personnel to hold it I'm afraid I shall have to cover that myself. :D  I have acquired a nicely used Lowepro Vertex 300 to carry the kit, and it has a rain cover in addition to being "splash proof". The goal is to assemble a complete kit (camera, lens, 3 film holders, dark cloth, spot meter and tripod) that weighs in at around 10 kg, rucksack included. Still waiting for the film holders, they are delayed as well I suppose.

well, that is good to hear. Had terrible images in my head, camera delaminating. If you manage to stay under 10kg that would be a mighty handy kit to bring along on hikes. I think my tripod alone is something like 4-5kg to support my Speed Graphic, then again, it´s wood and normally travels by car.

Actually I think wind is a bigger challenge than rain with a large camera like that. My Linhof tripod weighs less than 2,3 kg, it might be on the light side for the task. I will get a stone bag to hang underneath it. Now, where is that stone..........  :o
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3254 on: January 11, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
Actually I think wind is a bigger challenge than rain with a large camera like that. My Linhof tripod weighs less than 2,3 kg, it might be on the light side for the task. I will get a stone bag to hang underneath it. Now, where is that stone..........  :o

Plenty of stones here, just pay shipping and I'll send you as many as you want.   ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3255 on: January 11, 2018, 09:09:15 PM »
If you want, I can send you plenty of snow and ice. It's cheap and plentiful around here. Best of all, your gear weighs less as the day goes along  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3256 on: January 11, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
Thanks for your kind offers, but if there is anything that is plentiful in this country it's rocks and ice. And so is water, and a collapsible water bottle could be useful on a hike, just fill it in the nearest source and use it as a weight.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:24:22 PM by Kai-san »
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3257 on: January 14, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
This one showed up in a scandinavian forum, came to think of you Kai-san. Have you figured out how to develop your 8x10´s?
Also had the pleasure of playing with a 8x10 on a local analog meet-up last night, not sure how that will affect my GAS.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3258 on: January 14, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
Hi hi, you seriously did not think I didn't have a plan for that? :D  May I present: The Beseler Motor Base with both continuous and reversing action and two Beseler 8x10 paper developing drums. I will need 125ml of developer per sheet, maybe even less. I plan to use one of my favourite films, the Fomapan 100. I've found that it shines with Kodak XTOL developer, and with a solution of 1:2 it should not be very expensive. And Fomapan 100 is less than half the price of Ilford FP4. By the way, when I bought that Beseler outfit (for next to nothing) I also got thrown in an 11x14 paper developing drum, you (or anybody else) can have it for free if you want it. Now that's what I call a good deal!  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3259 on: January 14, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
You can always use the big drum for big prints. It takes a lot less space than a set of trays.
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3260 on: January 14, 2018, 07:21:58 PM »
I love the Fomapan 100 as well. Have you ever tried developing it in Fomadon LQN? If not, you should really give it a try. I've read stuff like "wonderwater for Fomapan" about Fomadon and I can only say that it's true. :) The normal dilution is 1+10, however, you can also use it at 1+14 (I think that you need to multiply times by 1.4 in this case). It's not very expensive and the results are stunning.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3261 on: January 15, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
Hi hi, you seriously did not think I didn't have a plan for that? :D  May I present: The Beseler Motor Base with both continuous and reversing action and two Beseler 8x10 paper developing drums. I will need 125ml of developer per sheet, maybe even less. I plan to use one of my favourite films, the Fomapan 100. I've found that it shines with Kodak XTOL developer, and with a solution of 1:2 it should not be very expensive. And Fomapan 100 is less than half the price of Ilford FP4. By the way, when I bought that Beseler outfit (for next to nothing) I also got thrown in an 11x14 paper developing drum, you (or anybody else) can have it for free if you want it. Now that's what I call a good deal!  :)

Haha! Well - you could be fiddling around with something make do, while hatching out clever a plan  ;)
That Beseler Motor Base looks impressive in all its simplicity, never seen one before. Not sure what the 11x14 drum would be used for in my end but thank you for the kind offer! Fomapan 100 in 8x10 was rather reasonably priced indeed, how much would you need to push it to get nice grain in 8x10?  ;D

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3262 on: January 15, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »

Haha! Well - you could be fiddling around with something make do, while hatching out clever a plan  ;)
That Beseler Motor Base looks impressive in all its simplicity, never seen one before. Not sure what the 11x14 drum would be used for in my end but thank you for the kind offer! Fomapan 100 in 8x10 was rather reasonably priced indeed, how much would you need to push it to get nice grain in 8x10?  ;D

When it comes to grain I think we should ask James (jharr). If my memory serves me right it is to use Rodinal and shake it like a redheaded child!  ;D
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3263 on: January 15, 2018, 02:16:56 PM »
I just loved being shaken when I was a child.  :(

PSA: never shake your young kids, it's really dangerous for them.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3264 on: January 15, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
I love the Fomapan 100 as well. Have you ever tried developing it in Fomadon LQN? If not, you should really give it a try. I've read stuff like "wonderwater for Fomapan" about Fomadon and I can only say that it's true. :) The normal dilution is 1+10, however, you can also use it at 1+14 (I think that you need to multiply times by 1.4 in this case). It's not very expensive and the results are stunning.

I have not tried the Fomadon LQN. My main reason for sticking with XTOL is that it is supposed to be one of the least toxic commercial developers. I have plans to test the Moersch Eco some time as I've seen some stunning results. If you read the safety data sheets you can see that they use different ingredients, but I'm not qualified to tell what is better or worse. In addition they use different standards when they rate toxic content. In a way I'm sorry that I started reading these datasheets as several of them refers to a 'test rat'. Ouch!  :o
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3265 on: January 16, 2018, 04:45:58 PM »
Just picked up this Voigtlander Bessa-L body. I already had both a 15mm Super Wide Heliar and a 25mm Snapshot Skopar, but I haven't used them much so thought this would complement my Bessa R3A as a simple second body to take along and shoot wide!

Bessa-L With Lens by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3266 on: January 26, 2018, 05:03:33 AM »
At a thrift store, a Pentax Spot Meter for $6, hopefully it works when I get batteries for it.  Also, a few big flash bulbs, a series VI yellow filter and an old film case that has Vietnam, Saigon printed on it, couldn’t pass that up.  I use those film cases for my Leica FILCA cassettes since they don’t fit in a plastic 35mm can.  Can’t wait to set one of those big flash bulbs off, just need to figure out what I’m going to shoot with them, maybe a night landscape photo.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3267 on: January 26, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »
I do hope that the spotmeter works. I would have picked it up too if I had seen it.
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3268 on: January 26, 2018, 05:02:06 PM »
Very nice spotmeter!

I acquired a Zeiss Ikon Box-Tengor 56/2. It's in an excellent condition. The shutter release mechanism was a little hard to operate. Fortunately it's pretty easy to disassemble the Tengor (two screws and a little bit of thinking how to free the front cover from the aperture and range selectors) so I cleaned the lenses and lubricated the shutter mechanism and now it's really nice. I'm impressed how well built the Box is. It's nothing like the other boxes I own from Agfa.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3269 on: January 26, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
I've resisted buying a Box Tengor of that generation repeatedly - this isn't helping. I don't need another camera, I don't need another camera.....
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3270 on: January 26, 2018, 05:11:42 PM »
Nobody needs a(nother) camera  ;)

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3271 on: January 26, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
I was weak. My resistance was too low. It looked so pretty...

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3272 on: January 26, 2018, 06:08:10 PM »
It feels good to be weak, sometimes  ;)

My third Bessa II is back, for good.
Really all I ever need when travelig, it does what the Bessa III did, only I like it better.
And then there is the F, bought this summer, now keen on traiding it for a F2.
Why? Don´t know.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3273 on: January 26, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »

STOP! STOP! STOP! (fingers in ears) LA LA LA LA LA.....

BTW, you around the city these days? I'm getting an itch to pop down and do a little street work when the opportunity presents itself.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3274 on: January 26, 2018, 06:23:48 PM »
And then there is the F, bought this summer, now keen on traiding it for a F2.
Why? Don´t know.
I know. I had an F2 in my hands a while ago. It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm just glad that I'm so happy with my Canon F-1. Otherwise this would be the moment to resist looking for an F2. ;) Looks like after my little Box-Tengor lapse I'm back to my GAS resistant self. :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3275 on: January 26, 2018, 08:30:40 PM »
I must admit that that box is simply beautiful.
Zeiss-Ikon sure knew how to make cameras!

I know I too have tried to convince myself that I don't need another camera. But I also know that when the yard sale season comes back, I'll be the first one to tempt on some yet to be known box with a lens in front of it...
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3276 on: January 26, 2018, 11:41:34 PM »
The garage sale season is a very challenging time for a GAS impaired person. But sometimes you simply need to do what has to be done: to preserve a piece of photographic history. It's not like you're buying a used camera from last year, is it? It's an analogue thing of beauty that deserves to continue to serve the purpose that it's been made for -- ideally in your capable hands. :)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3277 on: January 27, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »

BTW, you around the city these days? I'm getting an itch to pop down and do a little street work when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm generally around except the weekend of Feb 16th. I do have this dayjob that ends at 6pm, so either bring some really fast film, or we will just hang out after you shoot :D Or weekends...

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3278 on: January 27, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »
Just got three rolls of Rerapan 127 to use in either the Brownie 127 or the Brownie Reflex, which haven't been used for years.
Could have done without the fifteen quid customs charge though. Eek!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3279 on: January 27, 2018, 07:35:13 PM »
I do hope that the spotmeter works. I would have picked it up too if I had seen it.

Just put batteries in it and tested it against the light meter app on my iPhone, they match almost perfectly.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3280 on: January 27, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
Sweet!  :)
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3281 on: January 28, 2018, 01:57:23 AM »

I'm generally around except the weekend of Feb 16th. I do have this dayjob that ends at 6pm, so either bring some really fast film, or we will just hang out after you shoot :D Or weekends...

OK, let me see how the schedule shapes up for the next couple weeks. I'll touch base when I have something more specific than "soon".

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #3282 on: January 29, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
sold my XA a while ago. Made some cash off of it.

I bought it from an antiques place and over the weekend I revisited and picked up another XA.

Such wonderful cameras, a clean example. Everything works and everything is clear and bright. Price was great.

would anyone believe though that I went to another antique place and they had an XA2 in worn shape in an XA box for $150!!! I was disgusted.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3283 on: January 29, 2018, 07:16:34 PM »
Dang, I saw that sweet Box Tengor and just had to have one to call my own.

Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 56/2 by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3284 on: January 30, 2018, 02:43:32 PM »
Drama unfolds with my Box-Tengor. The focus seems to be wonky. Now I need to find out how to adjust the focus. There's nothing usable on the net. It doesn't focus to infinity when not using the close-up lenses. *sigh*

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3285 on: January 30, 2018, 05:03:55 PM »
Antony, can we discuss some Box-Tengor related things in the Box Camera Thread?

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3286 on: February 06, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »
I just picked up my first roll of CineStill 800T (which I'll shoot at 1600), as well as my first bottle of Rodinal. Oh, and a cable shutter release for my Elan 7, since I'm going to play around with ND filters this weekend.

Any quick advice on use ND filters with film? (Fomapan 100/Ilford HP5+ or Ektar 100/Provia 100F).
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #3287 on: February 06, 2018, 10:04:30 PM »
Any quick advice on use ND filters with film? (Fomapan 100/Ilford HP5+ or Ektar 100/Provia 100F).

I've used Ilford FP4+ and works fantastically. It has become my only b&w film in medium format. PanF+ works ok in standard exposure but I have found some spots in the long exposure shots so I don't know...

Never tried Provia with ND filters, but recently I used Ektar (in 135) with a Big Stopper and the images came out fine, with a slight greenish colour that can be corrected (if you wish) afterwards in your computer.

It is important to take into account the reciprocity failure for every film you are going to use. Otherwise you will get underexposed shots.

Good luck. Oh. Sorry for the off topic :)
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3288 on: February 06, 2018, 11:09:23 PM »
Not much to say about ND filters since they just do what's written on the box.
Just watch out for reciprocity failure...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3289 on: February 08, 2018, 03:07:18 AM »
In a moment of weakness this popped up on eBay for a really good price.  I have been selling some stuff lately to help justify my GAS.  This is a really nice one, everything is in really good working condition.  Despite being a huge beast of a camera it's pretty amazing mechanically.  I may need to wear a back brace when I carry it around though. 

Kodak-Medalist by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3290 on: February 08, 2018, 08:09:55 AM »
Due to the Box Camera Thread, this happened. I`m super exited!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3291 on: February 08, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »
That’s an interesting one Aksel, I’ve never seen that model before.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3292 on: February 08, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »
Kodak Medalist?
These were actually the camera of choice by the US army during the war. People said you could drop them from a plane on take off, pick it up, dust it off and it was ready to go for another round!

And the GevaBox is nice. But contrary to a lot of box cameras, it's a real pain to fix when the sliding shutter jams. I had to make a special tool to open mine up. And putting it all back together is just as hard if you don't want to have one of the flash wires visible in the side mirror.
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3293 on: February 08, 2018, 04:38:27 PM »
Bryan, the Medalist looks cool and very sturdy. Looking forward to seeing photos that you took with it.

Aksel, what a gorgeous little box. It's incredible how broad the spectrum of boxes was in the 50s.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3294 on: February 12, 2018, 06:08:11 PM »
.......... a KMZ Start 2B SLR with Helios 44 58mm f2.0 lens. The Start was quite advanced when released in 1958, it had shutter speeds up to 1/1000s, automatic stop down and interchangeable viewfinder (Pentaprism/WLF). Perhaps the coolest feature is a built in film knife. I shot a test roll indoors with Acros 100 exposed at ISO 400, no flash. The attached shot is done with the lens fully open.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3295 on: February 12, 2018, 08:51:07 PM »
This must be the first camera I've seen that really isn't airport safe!
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3296 on: February 12, 2018, 09:01:39 PM »
Well, if they are curious enough to put their nose into the back of that camera, they've only got themselves to blame!
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3297 on: February 12, 2018, 10:19:47 PM »
Many of the Exakta 35mm SLRs had a film-cutting knife as well. The primary application was for microscopy, so that just a few exposed frames could be cut off from the roll and processed separately for analysis. I always thought it was a neat feature but never had the opportunity (or need) to use it.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3298 on: February 13, 2018, 09:56:26 AM »

And the GevaBox is nice. But contrary to a lot of box cameras, it's a real pain to fix when the sliding shutter jams. I had to make a special tool to open mine up. And putting it all back together is just as hard if you don't want to have one of the flash wires visible in the side mirror.

Well, that´s reassuring as I have no clue about the actual condition of the shutter  ;D  I`m picking it up together with a Coronet Ambassador and some sort of Kodak box from the post office later this afternoon. Hope I can fix it if it´s faulty. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3299 on: February 15, 2018, 02:51:19 AM »
I just got this 35mm movie film splicer for $3.  I don't use it to splice movies but it works great for cutting 35mm negatives.  It gives a nice straight cut between frames without accidentally cutting into the picture.  I have another one that I have been using but it has prongs that set the film at a fixed interval for cutting.  That works great for some cameras like my Leica but if the frames don't line up correctly it's useless.  This one doesn't have the prongs so you can set the cut exactly where you want it.  An interesting thing about this one, the person I bought it from said they got it from the estate of Fred Hill a WWII photographer who studied under Ansel Adams in California.  The link below has some of his photography.

http://eoulibrary.pastperfectonline.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search_criteria=fred+hill&searchButton=Search

Griswold Film Splicer R-2 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr