Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 836984 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #3100 on: August 10, 2017, 08:24:43 PM »
Tamron is one of those companies that will surprise you in more ways than you think. While some of their zooms can be average when it comes down to sharpness, they always make up for that in other ways like range. And their prime lenses are usually quite good. I have a few and can vouch for their quality.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3101 on: August 11, 2017, 08:59:23 PM »
I sent the Leica IIIc and the Summitar lens to YYe Camera for servicing and cleaning so my $30 deal turned into $300 pretty quick.  I hope he can get that lens cleaned up so it's usable.

I shipped the camera to Yye Camera on Monday and just got this reply from him today!

Bryan,
I have your camera and lens done.
Leica IIIc - The curtains are still good.  CLA'd, cleaned and lubricated mechanical parts, adjusted shutter speeds and brake.  Shutter works well at all speeds now.  Cleaned both finders, replaced beam splitter to new, both finders are clean and clear now.  Adjusted focus.
Summitar 50/2.0 lens - CLA'd, cleaned and lubricated both focus and aperture rings, cleaned aperture blades.  Cleaned each element in the lens removed haze inside.  Lens is clean and clear now consider its age.  Tested the lens with digital M body, lens is in focus and produce good images.

He has worked on a few cameras for me and I have had great service from him each time.  This was done in less than a week!  I was really worried about that lens, it looked pretty bad when I sent it, lots of haze and crud on the lens.  I didn't try any cleaning myself for fear I may damage it.  I could have done the beam splitter myself but since I was sending it in it wasn't that much more money to have him do it.  I'm pretty excited about getting it back.

http://www.yyecamera.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3102 on: August 11, 2017, 10:16:36 PM »
Even if it's more expensive, it's always worth it to do business with true professionals!

Which reminds me of a quote I heard once: "I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff"
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3103 on: August 12, 2017, 10:53:21 PM »
I went to a HAM radio festival this morning and picked up a Pentax K1000 for 40 dollars.   8)

It came with the Kalimar shown and a Vivitar 28-85 zoom.
The camera is in great shape, the mirror bumper is good, the shutter times seem accurate and the meter works, not that I pay much attention to meters.... The seals look good too, but I may replace them after I run a roll or two through it.
Anyway, I was pretty happy to find it at the "tailgate" sale not expecting to find a camera. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:55:40 PM by astrobeck »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3104 on: August 13, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »
It's definitely a classic :)
Francois

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3105 on: August 14, 2017, 06:26:44 PM »
I just picked up a bottle of Ilford DD-X, to switch from my regular Ilfosol 3. Any advice as to how to use it? I'll be shooting HP5 for the most part as my go-to B&W, and will definitely push-process a couple of rolls, to either 1600 or 3200. 
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3106 on: August 16, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »
I saw this in an antique shop and couldn't resist.  It's a King Regula Cita III with an uncoupled Gossen light meter. 

King Regula Cita III by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #3107 on: August 16, 2017, 05:42:21 PM »
Hi!!!
I purchased a panoramic Horizon 202 at Real Camera, Manchester ;-)

It's very funny!

Cheers
Antonio

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3108 on: August 16, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »
Hi!!!

I had one of those. Lugged it around China with me. Great for a different view point. Think I sold it to another FWer.

Try it for street photography.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #3109 on: August 16, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »
Hi!!!

I had one of those. Lugged it around China with me. Great for a different view point. Think I sold it to another FWer.

Try it for street photography.

Great!!! I really love this format. The lens of the Horizon is pretty good, I mean, for the price!

Cheers

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3110 on: August 16, 2017, 08:40:09 PM »
Bryan: I love the look of the King Regula Cita III. Enjoy it!
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3111 on: August 16, 2017, 08:48:38 PM »
I always wanted a Horizon...
One of the cheesy tricks I want to do with one is set it on a low minipod in vertical position so that the lens points down looking at my feet, press the button and jump over it before it gets me entirely in the image  ;D
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3112 on: August 17, 2017, 07:42:14 AM »
The Horizon is by far the best panorama camera on a sensible budget, in all honesty it´s up there with the Widelux F7 and Noblex 135 but it has more shutter-speeds to choose from. Great camera Gimenosaiz!

After hauling my G617 around for a few weeks I was tempted by something a bit more portable and anded back with the Bessa II / Color-Skopar. Totally forgot how small the finder was, guess it´s all forgotten when I se the negatives  ;)

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3113 on: August 21, 2017, 07:05:14 AM »
Look what I found, locally at a good price!
I have been lusting for one of these like for ever so my Land 195 will have to fight for it´s place now. Not sure if it´s going to make neither me or my photos any better but I don´t really care  ;D

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #3114 on: August 21, 2017, 01:45:14 PM »
great find! always wanted to try one of those.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3115 on: August 21, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »

So far it feels great! Stellar finder, great lens, if a bit slow @ 5.6. Anyhow I`m not to worried about blurry images and it´s vell balanced and has pretty good ergonomics so I`m happy. Best pice of plastic I ever bought, it´s a keeper.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #3116 on: August 22, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »

So far it feels great! Stellar finder, great lens, if a bit slow @ 5.6. Anyhow I`m not to worried about blurry images and it´s vell balanced and has pretty good ergonomics so I`m happy. Best pice of plastic I ever bought, it´s a keeper.

cool! enjoy. hope you have great fun with it. 

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3118 on: August 24, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3119 on: August 24, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
It was just sitting there anyway, one fp100c and three tip spectra of expired dates so not much loss :)

I'm surprised at how quick this is to use with the automatic winding and all. The EV connector crutch I could do without though, it's a pain when changing the settings. I wondee if I could disengage it?
/jonas

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3120 on: August 24, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
Nice one Jonas!  I'm selling some gear on eBay right now with the hope of raising enough to get a Super Ikonta C 531/2, the 6X9 version. 

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3121 on: August 25, 2017, 07:08:37 AM »
It was just sitting there anyway, one fp100c and three tip spectra of expired dates so not much loss :)

I'm surprised at how quick this is to use with the automatic winding and all. The EV connector crutch I could do without though, it's a pain when changing the settings. I wondee if I could disengage it?

I never really bothered to much with the EV connector on mine. I don´t know if the "ring" has any other purpose but you could of course do something drastic, cut of the little arm that locks it, file it down and pretend it was never there  ;)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3122 on: August 25, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »
....... a nice Jupiter 8 for my Leningrad rangefinder. The one that came with the camera was out of focus most of the time  and i did not manage to adjust it properly. I've been checking the available info on that lens, and found that I had a model that does not exist! I suspect that it has been put together with parts from different models. If anybody would like to try their hand at fixing it they're welcome to have it, free of charge. Just PM me.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

16mman

• Sean Anderson Media
« Reply #3123 on: September 01, 2017, 08:47:43 PM »
Picked up this amazing haul a while back at a thrift store. Each camera was only $5.75! I felt like I was having a good dream! Cameras are: Exa II, Praktiflex FX, Ricoh 500, and a Halina 35X. Unfortunately the EXA II has a sticking shutter, the mirror in the Praktiflex sticks and the shutter in the Ricoh 500 is screwed up. BUT, they all seem like they shouldn't take much work to fix. The little Halina works like a charm anyway :)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #3124 on: September 05, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »
I really shouldn't have, but I did.

In my defence, it is a long time since I bought any film gear and I have wanted one for several years. The only minor niggle is it has a plain focus screen, which I'm going to have to change.

Are there any F2 experts out there know which screen is the usual split prism? There seem to be a startling number of options.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:35:05 PM by Nigel »
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3125 on: September 05, 2017, 08:19:17 PM »
Nigel, your copy of the F2 looks really nice. I had the pleasure of renewing the light seals of an F2 a while ago and I loved the sturdiness and the build quality. My regular camera is a Canon F-1 which feels very similar so I perfectly understand your decision to buy an F2. I'm sorry that I can't help you with your question, though.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3126 on: September 05, 2017, 08:37:07 PM »
Nigel, your copy of the F2 looks really nice. I had the pleasure of renewing the light seals of an F2 a while ago and I loved the sturdiness and the build quality. My regular camera is a Canon F-1 which feels very similar so I perfectly understand your decision to buy an F2. I'm sorry that I can't help you with your question, though.

Thanks, I am really pleased with it. I've not used the Canon but the do have a very similar look and feel. They are the cameras I always wanted but couldn't afford.

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3127 on: September 05, 2017, 08:48:48 PM »
Lots of choice for the F2! Possibly too much (if there is such a thing).
Here's a scan of the two pages in How to select and use Nikon SLR cameras.
(scanned them as grayscale so they would be smaller in size. If you need something in color for the table, let me know.

Personally, I'd go for Type P. Just like in my old Yashica (I loved the 45° angled prism, you don't have to turn the camera for focusing on horizontal lines)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:50:58 PM by Francois »
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3128 on: September 05, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »
Thanks, I am really pleased with it. I've not used the Canon but the do have a very similar look and feel. They are the cameras I always wanted but couldn't afford.
And the build quality is so insanely high that both models will probably be working decades from now.

The F-1 also has this incredibly big choice of focus screens like the F2 - one more thing they have in common. ;) I second François' advice for the exact same reason.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3129 on: September 05, 2017, 10:50:42 PM »
Steve Gandy has a good reference on his site and indicates the Type A screen as standard. I'm pretty sure that's the one in my F2. Lovely camera to look at and use.

https://cameraquest.com/nfscreen.htm

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3130 on: September 06, 2017, 07:47:51 AM »
Steve Gandy has a good reference on his site and indicates the Type A screen as standard. I'm pretty sure that's the one in my F2. Lovely camera to look at and use.

https://cameraquest.com/nfscreen.htm

Thanks. Looking at the info François (thanks, François) posted I think it is the type 'A' I like. My eyes are just not good enough for the plain screen.

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3131 on: September 06, 2017, 02:28:12 PM »
And type A is probably going to be cheaper since it was the default model.
Francois

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #3132 on: September 13, 2017, 09:34:37 PM »
I really shouldn't have, but I did.

In my defence, it is a long time since I bought any film gear and I have wanted one for several years. The only minor niggle is it has a plain focus screen, which I'm going to have to change.

Are there any F2 experts out there know which screen is the usual split prism? There seem to be a startling number of options.
Hello!!
Congratulations. It's a WONDERFUL copy. This is the camera that I wanted ... but I didn't found a good copy at a reasonable price. Gorgeous camera! ;-)

Cheers!

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #3133 on: September 13, 2017, 09:45:03 PM »
Hi!

As Nigel has said ... I really shouldn't have, but I did.

In my defence ... no defence ;-)

I've heard and read a lot of very positive reviews ... I never thought that it was so AMAZING!!! It IS

Uffff

Un abrazo

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3134 on: September 13, 2017, 10:23:47 PM »
 :) :) :)
And now you know.
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3135 on: September 16, 2017, 08:32:35 PM »
I found a Yashica T3 at a garage sale today hidden in some box. The gentleman owning the box sold it to me for a really good price. I'm looking forward to trying it, it's a nifty little camera with an impressive lens.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3136 on: September 24, 2017, 08:23:22 PM »
Not having bought a camera in a long time, I got lucky today.
A nice Yashica Electro 35 GTN in perfect shape for 3$ at a garage sale (including flash)... you can't beat that!
I had to build a battery adapter for it but that was just details :)
I also just discovered that a cordless drill and a bandsaw can make a crude but functional wood lathe  8)
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3137 on: September 24, 2017, 08:47:21 PM »
Nice find, François. I have a 35 GSN myself and I love it. The lens is very good.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3138 on: September 24, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »
Well, it was the poor man's Leica....
I'm surprised to see that it's almost as old as I am and in as great a shape!
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3139 on: September 24, 2017, 09:58:41 PM »
Congrats on the Mamiya 6!

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #3140 on: September 27, 2017, 09:23:12 PM »

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3141 on: September 28, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
Hi!

I've heard and read a lot of very positive reviews ... I never thought that it was so AMAZING!!! It IS

Uffff

Un abrazo

No need to defend the 6, you know why when you hold it and you see why when you get the results =)
Congratulations, enjoy it  ;D

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #3142 on: September 30, 2017, 09:49:03 PM »
Hi!

Uffff
Un abrazo

No need to defend the 6, you know why when you hold it and you see why when you get the results =)
Congratulations, enjoy it  ;D
Hello!!
Hehehehehe ... you're absolutely right ;-)
Thank  you!
Un abrazo,
Antonio

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3143 on: October 03, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
I recently sold a bunch of camera gear on eBay just to buy more stuff.  This was the main thing I was after, a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531/2 6x9 rangefinder.  I had to clean some mold from the lens which meant re-calibrating the rangefinder when I put it back together.  We'll see how I did once I get a roll of film through it. 

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531/2 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3144 on: October 03, 2017, 05:20:05 PM »
I recently sold a bunch of camera gear on eBay just to buy more stuff.  This was the main thing I was after, a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531/2 6x9 rangefinder.  I had to clean some mold from the lens which meant re-calibrating the rangefinder when I put it back together.  We'll see how I did once I get a roll of film through it. 

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531/2 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Mine is the earlier black paint version, with the 105/4.5 Tessar. It's very capable across the range, but it really comes into its own on a tripod at f/16 or smaller apertures. The detail in the negatives is incredible.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3145 on: October 03, 2017, 08:16:30 PM »
Bryan, the Super Ikonta is a lovely camera in every aspect. I hope that the re-calibration worked well. If you find some time, maybe you can write a short piece on what you did and how you did it to remove the mold and to recalibrate the camera. I have a Zeiss Ikon Nettar and it was quite challenging for me to open the lens assembly (it was the first time I did this). I suppose that with a much more sophisticated camera like the Super Ikonta it must be quite a delicate operation.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3146 on: October 03, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
Bryan, the Super Ikonta is a lovely camera in every aspect. I hope that the re-calibration worked well. If you find some time, maybe you can write a short piece on what you did and how you did it to remove the mold and to recalibrate the camera. I have a Zeiss Ikon Nettar and it was quite challenging for me to open the lens assembly (it was the first time I did this). I suppose that with a much more sophisticated camera like the Super Ikonta it must be quite a delicate operation.

I'll try to put something together to show what I did.  It wasn't hard getting the front element off, the hard part was getting the calibration set then put back together while keeping everything right.  I have high hopes for this camera, it's one I've had my eye on for a while.  I have a few Kodak 6x9 folders that are scale focus and have less than spectacular lenses so this should be a big step up from that.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3147 on: October 16, 2017, 05:35:42 PM »
.......... the Polaroid OneStep 2 has arrived! Very nice and a bit smaller than I had imagined. I have included a picture of the LED film counter on top of the camera; quite a nice feature.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3148 on: October 16, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »
Does look quite nice indeed.
I think we can now forget the days of 10 pictures per pack though...
Francois

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
« Reply #3149 on: October 18, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »
Never hat the old SX70 - just received the new package - too scared to open it - suppose there'll be a thread with user reports?