Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 839831 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2900 on: March 28, 2017, 06:37:14 PM »
I've been looking for a nice late Box Tengor for a while now. I'm not entirely certain why, but I'm mildly obsessed with it. Hopefully you'll hate it and sell it to me cheap.  :P
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2901 on: March 28, 2017, 08:59:37 PM »
My first box camera!
You never had a box camera before?  :o
Well... you're going to be impressed by what they can do!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2902 on: March 28, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »
You never had a box camera before?  :o
Well... you're going to be impressed by what they can do!

Nope, I've always passed them up in the thrift and antique shops because they're usually in questionable condition.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2903 on: March 28, 2017, 10:52:47 PM »
I must admit that most of them need some TLC. But they're so easy to work with that even the grungiest ones are worth it, especially if they take 120.

When I get some, the first thing I do is clean the exterior with some blue window cleaner and a few paper towels. Then, I give them a shine using some black shoe polish and a good buff. That's usually all they really need along with a serious lens clean.

So far, my only criteria are that the camera doesn't smell like a damp basement and doesn't look like it's been eaten by mice.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2904 on: March 29, 2017, 06:58:20 AM »
I just bought this exakta mount Schneider Xenon - put in a rather low BIN offer and surprisingly the seller accepted it.

I already have one in M42, but really wanted one I could use on my Exa.

Also, speaking of cleaning box cameras, I'm currently making a video all about that, I already made a teaser:

https://youtu.be/jDYGxPUqTcE

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2905 on: March 29, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
Voigtlander Vitessa L. The never-ready case is a bit scuffed, and the light meter doesn't work, but other than that it looks in great condition so I'll be giving it a test run this week. Got to love that groovy plunger winding-on mechanism.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2906 on: March 29, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
Voigtlander Vitessa L. The never-ready case is a bit scuffed, and the light meter doesn't work, but other than that it looks in great condition so I'll be giving it a test run this week. Got to love that groovy plunger winding-on mechanism.
Ah, this is one of my 'bucket list' cameras. The clamshell and the plunger are just too cool! Can't wait to see how that Skopar performs for you.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2907 on: March 29, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »
Today I bought a Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II, for $50 in what seems to be really good shape, at a local camera shop. Anyone uses it/has experience with it? It has good reviews from Ken Rockwell... ;D

The only 50mm lens that I've used before was a 50mm 1.4D from Nikon, mounted on my N6006 back in Venezuela.
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2908 on: March 29, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »
It has good reviews from Ken Rockwell... ;D
If Ken says it's good, it probably means it's too good for me  :P
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2909 on: March 30, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »
Today I bought a Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II, for $50 in what seems to be really good shape, at a local camera shop. Anyone uses it/has experience with it? It has good reviews from Ken Rockwell... ;D

The only 50mm lens that I've used before was a 50mm 1.4D from Nikon, mounted on my N6006 back in Venezuela.

Crap plastic construction, superb optics and it´s light as a feather. I used to love it when in EOS land.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2910 on: March 30, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »
Ah, this is one of my 'bucket list' cameras. The clamshell and the plunger are just too cool! Can't wait to see how that Skopar performs for you.

You´r not alone there jharr, it´s just so super sleek, compact and with top notch optics. One day!
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2911 on: March 30, 2017, 02:29:43 PM »

Crap plastic construction, superb optics and it´s light as a feather. I used to love it when in EOS land.

I just realized that it is pretty light and plasticky, however, the focus is fast and quiet compared to the 35-70 that came with the camera. I'm also able to use my polarizer filter since it's 52mm as well.

I'm shooting a roll today to test it out!

Thanks,
Miguel.

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #2912 on: March 30, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »

Used to have one and bitterly regret selling it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2913 on: March 30, 2017, 10:51:54 PM »
I just went to my local charity shop and saw this in their showcase... I just couldn't resist leaving 4$ for it :)

And yes, it's a Voigtlander rangefinder that's nearly new and in its original box with the instructions.
It'll look really good on top of my Vito B :)
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2914 on: March 31, 2017, 11:37:57 PM »
Nice find Francois! A coworker just dropped these at my desk.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2915 on: April 01, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »
I just went to my local charity shop and saw this in their showcase... I just couldn't resist leaving 4$ for it :)

And yes, it's a Voigtlander rangefinder that's nearly new and in its original box with the instructions.
It'll look really good on top of my Vito B :)
Voigtlander make so lovely gear

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2916 on: April 01, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »
Nice find Francois! A coworker just dropped these at my desk.
Adox make a new version of that Agfa paper and it's really nice

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2917 on: April 01, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »
Agfa always made nice paper. Many of them were very silver rich for very dense blacks.
Francois

hidaniel

• 35mm
« Reply #2918 on: April 02, 2017, 09:02:45 PM »
Picked up this little oddball, a Sun Anamorphic Adapter 16 projector lens. I'm a lazy photographer and it seems like it takes some work to get right but the results I've seen with anamorphic lenses do look pretty nifty. I'm tempted to order a step down ring to use it, but it'll probably end up with way more vignetting than I can take, so I'm leaning towards passing it on.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:04:41 PM by hidaniel »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2919 on: April 04, 2017, 08:14:50 AM »
hi, daniel and welcome to the forum. interesting lens you've got there. what are you planning to use it on?
/jonas

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
« Reply #2920 on: April 04, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »
Agfa Iso Rapid!
Couldn't resist this one as I have used this or a similar version in the 1970s.
£6 on ebay. Only drawback is I need to find another film cassette, as the film is transported into an empty one .... I see them advertised on ebay for £10 or more, so I will look for another body, just to get the spare cassette.
Next challenge, load one of those with film, 16 exposures square 24 x 24 mm.

hidaniel

• 35mm
« Reply #2921 on: April 04, 2017, 08:23:23 PM »
hi, daniel and welcome to the forum. interesting lens you've got there. what are you planning to use it on?

Thanks jojonas. I'm thinking of using it for digital since most of the film shooting I do is on medium format but I'm leaning more towards trading it off or selling it.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2922 on: April 04, 2017, 09:04:23 PM »
Picked up this little oddball, a Sun Anamorphic Adapter 16 projector lens. I'm a lazy photographer and it seems like it takes some work to get right but the results I've seen with anamorphic lenses do look pretty nifty. I'm tempted to order a step down ring to use it, but it'll probably end up with way more vignetting than I can take, so I'm leaning towards passing it on.

I assume that's for a 16mm movie camera/projector.  A good quality anamorphic lens can be quite expensive but there are a lot of old soviet ones on eBay for a fraction of the price.  I would think one made for a 35mm movie camera/projector would work better for a 35mm camera but it would be interesting to see if you can get that one working on one. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2923 on: April 04, 2017, 10:27:11 PM »
If it's an adapter lens, it should work on pretty much anything.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2924 on: April 04, 2017, 11:15:52 PM »
If it's an adapter lens, it should work on pretty much anything.

They usually mount in front of the camera and projector lenses.  I would think that if it's for 16mm you may get vignetting.  I've never actually used one so I may be wrong. 

hidaniel

• 35mm
« Reply #2925 on: April 05, 2017, 04:36:44 PM »
After cursory searching I can't seem to find any portraits using the Sun Anamorphic, which if anything is what I'd use it for, but I have found a few videos (Here is an example: https://vimeo.com/80152537) and they look decent in terms of vignetting, but pretty mushy in the corners and not very sharp; which for portraits would be okay. Though focusing two barrels would not be my idea of fun using a film camera hence the interest of using it on digital; focus peaking on a Fuji would make this tolerable.

It has a 40.5mm thread on the back so plunking it into a step down ring would be easy enough to see if it's worth picking up a clamp kit but again, probably more effort than I'm willing for an effect of limited utility, but then again there is something to be said about the faux XPan look you get with anamorphics.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2926 on: April 05, 2017, 09:12:48 PM »
Even with an SLR it shouldn't really be a problem. Usually, things like that are designed so that you set one lens at a certain distance and just leave it there (most probably infinity) and then focus the adapter.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2927 on: April 06, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »
This is exciting!

Reflex by Berang Berang, on Flickr

I've been waiting for years to get one of these. But they either show up completely trashed, or sell for prices I'm not willing to pay. This one had a vague listing, and bad photos, so I expected the worst. But when it showed up it turned out to be in remarkably good condition - just rather dirty. Also somebody removed the mirror, it's no big deal getting a new one cut, the only problem is if the mirror is retained by a spring clip like on the KW Pilot - then I need to find something to replace that clip, it's long gone from the camera.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2928 on: April 08, 2017, 02:15:46 PM »

Gift from my girlfriend.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2929 on: April 08, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »
Gift from my girlfriend.

She's a keeper!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2930 on: April 08, 2017, 04:36:19 PM »
The F/D Pinhole Book arrived in the mail a few days ago, but I've just now had a chance to go through it. A nice collection of pinhole images by different photographers including some of our fellow filmwasters!

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2931 on: April 08, 2017, 10:51:46 PM »
The F/D Pinhole Book arrived in the mail a few days ago, but I've just now had a chance to go through it. A nice collection of pinhole images by different photographers including some of our fellow filmwasters!

Yay !!!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2932 on: April 09, 2017, 06:21:40 AM »

Yay !!!

Yay indeed! That light you got in your photo is amazing!

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2933 on: April 10, 2017, 01:58:24 PM »
....... 103 rolls of 35mm B&W film at less than one pound fifty a piece. Expiry dates from 2015 to 2017. The Easter Bunny came early this year........
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2934 on: April 10, 2017, 02:12:45 PM »
....... 103 rolls of 35mm B&W film at less than one pound fifty a piece. Expiry dates from 2015 to 2017. The Easter Bunny came early this year........

Well done...!! That's a hell of a bargain and some seriously good film stock.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2935 on: April 10, 2017, 06:18:23 PM »
Last week i gave a friends son a Nikkormat FTN because his film camera had broken, my friend said i have something you might like

Collodion positive

GrainTrain

« Reply #2936 on: April 11, 2017, 01:01:52 AM »
Just acquired this M2 and Summicron DR (with goggles, not pictured) in a trade.

m2 by Scott Hayward, on Flickr

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #2937 on: April 11, 2017, 02:29:25 AM »

My copy arrived today--nice layout, excellent reproductions and fantastic photos.  I have limited experience with my pinhole cameras but I'm now inspired to do more.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2938 on: April 11, 2017, 09:03:34 AM »

My copy arrived today--nice layout, excellent reproductions and fantastic photos.  I have limited experience with my pinhole cameras but I'm now inspired to do more.

Just as a matter of interest, is this book available for purchase or is it only fulfilment of Kickstarter orders just yet?

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2939 on: April 11, 2017, 09:40:36 AM »
Kickstarters first, and then it will be available from the website soon.  Keep an eye on it.  http://fslashd.com/

Probably the ebook version as well.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2940 on: April 11, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
Kickstarters first, and then it will be available from the website soon.  Keep an eye on it.  http://fslashd.com/

Probably the ebook version as well.

Cheers Sandeha - will do. 

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2941 on: April 11, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »
I picked up this Leica III for a song, but it needs some rangefinder work (and the lens has its aperture blades in a film canister - hoping everything is there to reassemble) as it's nearly impossible to see through the focus window. The shutter sounds accurate, I'll test it once the camera is disassembled.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:13:49 PM by thatguychad »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2942 on: April 11, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »
Nice one Chad, I hope you can get it sorted out.  I have a III and a IIIa, both with Elmar lenses.  They are quickly becoming my favorite 35mm cameras.  I really like how compact they are and the lenses are great.  I sent both of mine to Youxin Ye for CLA's and they work perfect. 

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2943 on: April 11, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »
I sent both of mine to Youxin Ye for CLA's and they work perfect.

The disasssembly of the III doesn't look too bad, so I'm going to have a go at it. The shutter mechanism sounds accurate (although T doesn't seem to work properly - I'll never use it, anyways)  I think the rangefinder just needs a good clean. There's some kind of oil residue on the top plate, I think that's fogged the viewfinder to the point of unusability.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2944 on: April 11, 2017, 06:10:00 PM »
I sent both of mine to Youxin Ye for CLA's and they work perfect.

The disasssembly of the III doesn't look too bad, so I'm going to have a go at it. The shutter mechanism sounds accurate (although T doesn't seem to work properly - I'll never use it, anyways)  I think the rangefinder just needs a good clean. There's some kind of oil residue on the top plate, I think that's fogged the viewfinder to the point of unusability.

I put a new rangefinder mirror in one of mine and calibrated it and it works like new now.  That's the easy part, the shutter curtains and slow speed adjustments were more than I wanted to take on. 

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2945 on: April 11, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »

I put a new rangefinder mirror in one of mine and calibrated it and it works like new now.  That's the easy part, the shutter curtains and slow speed adjustments were more than I wanted to take on.

Where'd you get your rangefinder parts?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2946 on: April 11, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »

Where'd you get your rangefinder parts?

Nobbysparrow on eBay, he also sells the tools for removing the finder ring and other parts and tools for Leica cameras.  It was someone on this forum that recommended him to me. 

http://www.ebay.com/usr/nobbysparrow?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beam-splitter-half-mirror-for-Leica-3f-3c-3G-3a-3b-repair-parts-/301949825871?hash=item464d9cb34f:m:mrS0oRg18laDoKmvWWl92rg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-ring-wrench-camera-repair-tool-remove-the-finder-ring-of-Leica-2-3-3a-/302258927706?hash=item466009385a:g:cEkAAOSwWxNY0L64

I see you need the shutter ring collar as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-shutter-ring-collar-guard-for-early-1-2-3-Standard-/371619176129?hash=item56863a9ec1:m:md2w6A2cMnhqKaQSQ9ZNDlg
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:30:23 PM by Bryan »

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2947 on: April 11, 2017, 06:36:01 PM »
Awesome, thanks for those links!

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2948 on: April 11, 2017, 08:07:59 PM »
I got this thinking I would hack it into a pinhole camera...but when it arrived, it was too cute!
Seems to work, just now working my way through the first roll of film.
It has a secret cable release socket under that little lever on the left...

8)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2949 on: April 11, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »
On the Leica, definitely plan on replacing the mirror - if you've got it apart there's no reason not to. The shutter and speed mechanisms are not bad at all to service, provided you don't need new curtains. Clean everything as thoroughly as possible and lube sparingly where necessary. Needle oilers are your friends. Don't adjust curtain tension at all until everything else is done - usually you can get away without touching it once everything is clean and lubed. Slow speed adjustment can be fiddly.

On the lens, I hope for your sake that that Summitar has the round aperture and not the hexagonal one shared with the Summar. If it's the latter, start saving for the therapy sessions and medication (or booze) now. The glass is comparatively soft, so be gentle. I can't recall if those are prone to flaking black paint on the optical groups, but check it and repair as needed.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/