Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 840940 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #3300 on: February 15, 2018, 03:17:54 AM »
I just got this 35mm movie film splicer for $3.  I don't use it to splice movies but it works great for cutting 35mm negatives.  It gives a nice straight cut between frames without accidentally cutting into the picture.

That's cool. I hadn't thought of using a splicer that way. I just use scissors and depending on the camera, the frame spacing can be pretty tight. I'll have to keep my eye out for one of those relics.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3301 on: February 15, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
Wow! And it's a Griswold!
I don't know if you plan on using it during your next summer vacation to the Grand Canyon?  ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3302 on: February 15, 2018, 02:35:37 PM »
Wow! And it's a Griswold!
I don't know if you plan on using it during your next summer vacation to the Grand Canyon?  ;)

We’re going to Walley World!

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #3303 on: February 20, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »
picked up another WLF for my P67. Going to flip it though. Got a really good deal on the thing! Also picked up a pentax hood for my 105 for a song. $65 for the pair. Did really well.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3304 on: February 20, 2018, 04:39:53 PM »
picked up another WLF for my P67. Going to flip it though. Got a really good deal on the thing! Also picked up a pentax hood for my 105 for a song. $65 for the pair. Did really well.

Congrats! My next purchase is going to be a Pentax MF camera. I'm thinking 645. Show us the results once you get them on your rig!
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3305 on: February 20, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3306 on: February 20, 2018, 11:41:30 PM »
Did you rob a bank?

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3307 on: February 20, 2018, 11:52:58 PM »
Freestyle's blowout at $20 per box if you buy at least 60 was well-timed for me as I got a pay increase with a few months back pay last week.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3308 on: February 21, 2018, 12:42:40 AM »
$20 per box is pretty good, I guess they're done fleecing people.  I assume you also had to buy a new fridge to store it in or you'll be eating out for a while.  Congratulations on the pay increase!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3309 on: February 21, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »
Jealousy..... ;D
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3310 on: February 21, 2018, 07:23:40 PM »
.......... a Sekonic L-488 spot meter with 1 deg. measurement angle, it can also do average (20 deg.) I will use it with mainly large and medium format cameras without light meter.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3311 on: February 22, 2018, 03:23:31 PM »
Nice spot Kai-san!

Just when I thought i was out they pull me back in...

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3312 on: February 22, 2018, 05:51:55 PM »
Nice camera Aksel!
I also picked up a 6x6 SLR - almost in the same league.  ;)

Pilot Super by Manuel Lion

Still some issues with the first roll through this camera (mirror shake, over exposed), but I think I can make it work for me. Possibly will try to get a brightscreen if I can get some consistent results to make the focusing a bit easier.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3313 on: February 22, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »
Very nice looking camera Manuel! I have a Pilot Super 6 too, but a different model. Last year I had the mirror re-coated, that helped quite a bit. I'm planning to get a brightscreen from Rick Oleson this year. These cameras are so nice!

Aksel, you are hopeless! I'm so jealous....  ;D
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3314 on: February 22, 2018, 10:28:34 PM »
Don't be, this model suffered from the dreaded Y2K bug  :P

(it says Millennium on the side... that means it runs Windows ME  ;D... one of its features is that if it doesn't like the lighting conditions it gives you the BSOD  ;D ;D ;D)
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3315 on: February 23, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »
aaah, I wouldn't mind a pilot slr they seem like great fun :)
/jonas

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3316 on: February 24, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »
The Pilot Super 6 are so cool!
Something tells me that I will have to play with one of those at some point  ;D

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3317 on: February 25, 2018, 06:49:54 AM »
My family and I went to Leipzig for a day (lovely city, BTW) and I came by a photo studio and through the window in the corner of my eye I saw a heap of old camera cases. That caught my attention. The nice owner of the studio explained to me that they're moving and that he's clearing out old stuff. He also had old cameras and I found an Adox Golf 63 (Version 2c) which seems to still work. He started searching the original case of the camera but didn't find it. So he thought that his asking price of 20 € was too high so he gave me some other case for the camera and a Zeiss Ikon Box-Tengor 54/2 to make up for the original case. That really made more than up for the missing case. So here I am with my souvenirs from Leipzig. :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3318 on: March 04, 2018, 05:46:31 PM »
I went to two estate sales yesterday.  One of them had a small darkroom, the other had a bunch of cameras.  I got two bulk loaders each with film for $3 each.  One is labeled Panatomic-X and the other Tri-X.  I'm hoping that's really Panatomic-X, time to load a few test rolls.  Neither of the bulk loaders have the crank so, thanks to Francois mentioning this on another thread, I just ordered one from Freestyle.  I also got Gossen Lunasix 3 light meter with the 15/75 degree attachment, a Mamiya 135mm f/4.5 TLR lens, three 35mm developing reels and a box of Kodak Snap-cap re-loadable film cassettes. 

Two of the developing reels are different than anything I have had before.  One has a different way of attaching the film at the center.  There is a plate with a single prong in the center, it looks like you poke that prong through the film to attach it.  It has a "K" marking on it and says it's made in Germany.  Also, one of the wire ends is bent out, I have no idea why they would do that.  Maybe it's designed for a special developing tank.  the other reel has less capacity, like maybe it's for a 24 exposure roll. 

I also got a Sekonic Dualmatic - Zoom 8mm movie camera.  Normally I would pass up any movie camera other than a Bolex or Nizo but this is a very interesting one.  First of all it's still in it's original box and it looks like it has never been used.  The interesting thing about this camera is that you don't have to take the film out to flip the spool.  After it shoots 25 feet of film it stops and you rotate the entire film chamber, then start shooting again.  It's a very interesting mechanism that allows all this to happen.  This camera still had the original mercury battery that is still working!  It was leaking a little so I took it out but the light meter seemed to be reading correctly. 

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3319 on: March 04, 2018, 06:24:40 PM »
That is a Kindermann reel you've found there. They all have the wire end sticking up like that, it fits into an autoloader that Kindermann made.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3320 on: March 04, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
Thanks Kai, I kind of figured it was for something like that.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3321 on: March 04, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »
Yeah, it was a crank device that would make loading them a cinch.
Here are two pictures. The top one is a Honeywell model in action. The bottom one is the Kindermann model.
They both operate in a similar fashion. Kinderman made them for 35mm and 70mm film. I don't know which one is in the picture.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3322 on: March 05, 2018, 12:12:42 AM »
A quick look on eBay and there are several brands of those loaders.  I have what appears to be a part of one, the piece that bends the film before it goes into the spool.  I use it to load film and it does help. 

I just shot some test strips of the film that was in the two loaders.  I bracketed both of them from ISO 12 to 32 and developed them both in Rodinal 1:50.  They are labeled correctly so I have Panatomic-X and Tri-X.  Glancing at the negatives the Panatomic-X looks great at all the speeds, the Tri-X looks pretty good as well.  I’ll get a better idea of what speed to shoot it at after I scan it.  I’ll have to re-test the Tri-X at closer to box speed but right now I have plenty of it fresh in a bulk roll I recently purchased. 

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3323 on: March 05, 2018, 05:06:28 PM »
that's a nice find!
I have big time Panatomic-X  envy!
Can't wait to see more of your photos made with it.

8)

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3324 on: March 08, 2018, 05:54:28 PM »
Just back from South Africa where a chum gifted me his Minolta 505si Super, with a 24-50 Minolta, a 28-300 Sigma and a 2x converter, plus 2 bags to keep them in and half a dozen rolls of (now vintage) film. It's my first Minolta and a quite like its auto-everything for lazy tourist shots, but I want to use it more seriously now that I'm at home. My only gripe, which I understand is a common 'feature' of many of the less expensive d*g*t*l cameras too, is that I can't find how use it in aperture priority mode. Which is a bummer, because that's the only mode I really need - I suppose I maye have to look at the user manual, which was in the bag, too.

On the plus side, as nearly all my cameras are manual focus, I find, for its age, the focusing to be quick, sharp and reasonably quiet. I'm sure Nikon and Canon make quicker, quieter models, but I have little experience of either brand. I was surprised by it's weight & heft. Then I took the 28-300 off the body and realised where the weight came from. But wearing the 24-35, it's a nice, light carry camera for a holiday. I need to finish the roll and see what I've got.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3325 on: March 08, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
I just checked on the camera wiki page (http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Minolta_Dynax_505si_Super) and it does have an aperture priority mode.
It's most likely accessed by holding the program button and rotating the wheel.
Aperture priority is either labeled S or TV
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3326 on: March 10, 2018, 08:51:05 AM »
Yesterday a camera picked me up! ;) Yesterday a dear friend came by and gave me her Exa 1b with the original box and manual as well as the original carrying case. It comes with a Domiplan 50mm f/2.8. It's a simple and nice little camera with a waist level viewfinder. I used my Arduino contraption (which I modified to use an IR sensor) to measure the shutter and it's pretty accurate on every setting so I'm looking forward to trying this camera today. I decided to to use my trusty and gorgeous Fujinon 50mm f/1.8 on it which I *cough* filed down to fit any M42 camera.

Exa 1b by C S
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:53:06 AM by cs1 »

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3327 on: March 10, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »
Thanks Francois - I knew it must be buried somewhere - it was just a matter of finding it. I'm not great at reading instruction manuals - after playing with quite a few cameras and wasting a considerable amount of ilm over the years, I like things to be intuitive.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3328 on: March 10, 2018, 09:32:51 PM »
Those cameras might all work a bit differently, but they overall are pretty much the same.
When in program mode, you turn the wheel and they cycle through all the available combos.
In aperture mode, the wheel changes the aperture. Shutter priority, it's the speed.
And the ISO setting mode allows you to switch between DX and user select film speed... though not all cameras have this feature.
Francois

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #3329 on: March 10, 2018, 10:28:17 PM »
Yesterday a camera picked me up! ;) Yesterday a dear friend came by and gave me her Exa 1b with the original box and manual as well as the original carrying case. It comes with a Domiplan 50mm f/2.8. It's a simple and nice little camera with a waist level viewfinder. I used my Arduino contraption (which I modified to use an IR sensor) to measure the shutter and it's pretty accurate on every setting so I'm looking forward to trying this camera today. I decided to to use my trusty and gorgeous Fujinon 50mm f/1.8 on it which I *cough* filed down to fit any M42 camera.

Exa 1b by C S

Wow. You got it together with the box. Great.

I have one 1b which I use a lot as an everyday camera. Here the sun shines almost everyday, so if you set the aperture to 11, the speed to 1/175 or 1/125 and grab a 100 ISO speed film, you're ready to shoot. To me it is better with a wide angle (I like to use the Flektogon 20mm in this camera)

About one year ago I bought an Exa 1c in a box, like yours, even with the German invoice (it came from there) It is similar, more plastic on it... In the end, I prefer the 1b.

Nice  :) Look forward to seeing photos taken with it posted in the forum.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3330 on: March 11, 2018, 07:05:58 AM »
MacArron, the fact that you use it as an every day camera makes me even more curious how it'll do when I try it.

Yes, an earlier 1b seems to be the preferable version, the 1c being a late Exa 1b that simply has a different model number engraved but still the same plastic top and bottom part. Apart from that they should be the same camera. My copy seems to be the very first 1b model since it has the chrome front plate.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3331 on: March 14, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »
While I have generally been cutting back on equipment acquisitions, I recently developed a pressing need for a Konica lens in LTM. I blame the excellent results from my Hexar AF and Konica III. After some deliberation, I settled on the 50/1.9, which is reputed to be very similar to the 48/2 on the Konica III.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3332 on: March 14, 2018, 09:36:10 PM »
"To develop a pressing need" is a very useful expression, 02! :D I recently developed a pressing need for completing my range of lenses for the Pentacon Six; this is an MC Vega 28b, 120mm f2.8. It's said to be sharper than the Zeiss Jena equivalent and it's lighter and more compact. So now I've got a pressing need to go out and shoot........
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3333 on: March 14, 2018, 09:39:12 PM »
Pressing need for gear... I haven't felt one of these in a long time  ;D
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3334 on: March 14, 2018, 11:23:47 PM »
The translation of "pressing need" is something along the lines of "for whatever reason I became obsessed with X and, despite all good sense and judgement telling me it was entirely unnecessary, my willpower failed and I bought it anyway."
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3335 on: March 15, 2018, 09:47:09 AM »
While I have generally been cutting back on equipment acquisitions, I recently developed a pressing need for a Konica lens in LTM. I blame the excellent results from my Hexar AF and Konica III. After some deliberation, I settled on the 50/1.9, which is reputed to be very similar to the 48/2 on the Konica III.

That did not help on my GAS! Congrats, it sure makes the G look younger.
If you have experience with other 50mm ltm lenses I`m curious to hear how you rate the Hexanon.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3336 on: March 15, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
That did not help on my GAS! Congrats, it sure makes the G look younger.
If you have experience with other 50mm ltm lenses I`m curious to hear how you rate the Hexanon.

I have more experience with other LTM 50s than I should admit. If it's like the lens on the Konica III, I'm expecting sharpness even wide open with a somewhat unique, smooth out-of-focus signature, and nice 3-D rendering. Both are Ultron derivatives (6 elements, 5 groups), so we're not talking about just another Planar or Sonnar type.

It's a bit front heavy on the IIIg, so I may move it over to the Canon L1 at some point and see how it works on that.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3337 on: March 16, 2018, 07:38:30 AM »
I have more experience with other LTM 50s than I should admit. If it's like the lens on the Konica III, I'm expecting sharpness even wide open with a somewhat unique, smooth out-of-focus signature, and nice 3-D rendering. Both are Ultron derivatives (6 elements, 5 groups), so we're not talking about just another Planar or Sonnar type.

It's a bit front heavy on the IIIg, so I may move it over to the Canon L1 at some point and see how it works on that.

That sounds even more tempting! I love how the Ultron renders, and this looks like something that would balance out nice on M2/4 (and still usable on IIIg =)
Used to have the Icarex Zeiss Ultron 50mm, M converted, that I sold in a moment of stupidity.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3338 on: March 16, 2018, 01:02:19 PM »
That sounds even more tempting! I love how the Ultron renders, and this looks like something that would balance out nice on M2/4 (and still usable on IIIg =)
Used to have the Icarex Zeiss Ultron 50mm, M converted, that I sold in a moment of stupidity.

It would probably be good on an M body. I screwed it onto the L1 just to see how it felt and it seemed more balanced than on the IIIg. It is, however, notably longer than the Canon 50/1.5 (Sonnar, and thus quite compact) that usually lives on the L1, and slightly smaller in diameter.

Once I run some film behind it I'll post photos to tempt you further.  ;)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3339 on: March 16, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »
I've been on a shopping spree (again); first of all I managed to get hold of a WLF for my KMZ Start SLR. Very nice with a magnifier loupe and intricate design, it folds flat when not in use. Secondly I found what looks like an unused Ferrania Eura 6x6 camera. It's a zone focus type with 2 f-stops and fixed shutter speed. It came in a faux leather case complete with all papers, flash and flashbulbs. The flash even had the original Italian batteries installed. And then the icing on the cake, two original packs of Ferrania P30 film, expiry date 7/63. I intend to shoot them (maybe not in this camera), any good advice on how to expose these? I shall use stand development, anything else is probably too risky.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3340 on: March 16, 2018, 10:37:37 PM »
I would expose that Ferrania film at 5 or less. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3341 on: March 17, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »
I just put the film data in my calculator and it suggests an e.i. of 2
For some reason I think this rhymes with tripod...
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3342 on: March 19, 2018, 12:18:41 AM »
A sample from the Hexanon mentioned above, in case anyone was wondering what all the fuss was about.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3343 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:44 AM »

It would probably be good on an M body. I screwed it onto the L1 just to see how it felt and it seemed more balanced than on the IIIg. It is, however, notably longer than the Canon 50/1.5 (Sonnar, and thus quite compact) that usually lives on the L1, and slightly smaller in diameter.

Once I run some film behind it I'll post photos to tempt you further.  ;)

Sounds good, thank you for the pic. it does look good indeed!

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #3344 on: March 19, 2018, 04:58:00 PM »
so I did a thing...

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3345 on: March 19, 2018, 05:24:26 PM »
so I did a thing...

I literally drooled...
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3346 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:35 PM »
What a lovely piece of machinery.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3347 on: March 20, 2018, 06:52:42 PM »
Good things come in small packages....

Just got this prize in the mail from a friend.
If I could do a little Irish jig, I would, but I'm already dizzy with happiness, so I'd just fall over....'
Spring just got a lot brighter around here.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3348 on: March 21, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »
This was a lot of money ($36) to spend on a roll of film but I figured I would like to try Kodak Aerochrome once.  Not sure what I'm going to shoot with it but I'll figure something out by summer.  I just ordered it from a seller on eBay, he's out of it now but he may re-list more if you're interested.  He does have another type of infrared film listed.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/ambennici/m.html?item=323158854048&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3349 on: March 22, 2018, 07:26:44 AM »
That is seriously cool Bryan! Looking forward to see how you waste it =)