Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 419762 times)

Aksel

• Sheet Film
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #3250 on: January 11, 2018, 09:35:05 AM »

Thanks Aksel! It's finished with a wax oil sealant, so it should withstand a few drops of rain. As for the cost of the umbrella and personnel to hold it I'm afraid I shall have to cover that myself. :D  I have acquired a nicely used Lowepro Vertex 300 to carry the kit, and it has a rain cover in addition to being "splash proof". The goal is to assemble a complete kit (camera, lens, 3 film holders, dark cloth, spot meter and tripod) that weighs in at around 10 kg, rucksack included. Still waiting for the film holders, they are delayed as well I suppose.

well, that is good to hear. Had terrible images in my head, camera delaminating. If you manage to stay under 10kg that would be a mighty handy kit to bring along on hikes. I think my tripod alone is something like 4-5kg to support my Speed Graphic, then again, it´s wood and normally travels by car.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

johnha

« Reply #3251 on: January 11, 2018, 01:14:38 PM »
You're right the left-hand grip is no good for when you're actually shooting but I found it's quite good to hang on to when you're walking around. If I use it a lot I might get one of these.

I've often wondered about these, I've only seen one-offs before, looks like this one might be available?

John.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3252 on: January 11, 2018, 04:13:28 PM »
I just ordered a 100' bulk roll of Kodak Tri-X, it seems to be on sale everywhere today.  Freestyle had the best price at $76.49.  Quantities are limited so if you want some you better hurry.

Kai-san

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3253 on: January 11, 2018, 04:45:08 PM »

Thanks Aksel! It's finished with a wax oil sealant, so it should withstand a few drops of rain. As for the cost of the umbrella and personnel to hold it I'm afraid I shall have to cover that myself. :D  I have acquired a nicely used Lowepro Vertex 300 to carry the kit, and it has a rain cover in addition to being "splash proof". The goal is to assemble a complete kit (camera, lens, 3 film holders, dark cloth, spot meter and tripod) that weighs in at around 10 kg, rucksack included. Still waiting for the film holders, they are delayed as well I suppose.

well, that is good to hear. Had terrible images in my head, camera delaminating. If you manage to stay under 10kg that would be a mighty handy kit to bring along on hikes. I think my tripod alone is something like 4-5kg to support my Speed Graphic, then again, it´s wood and normally travels by car.

Actually I think wind is a bigger challenge than rain with a large camera like that. My Linhof tripod weighs less than 2,3 kg, it might be on the light side for the task. I will get a stone bag to hang underneath it. Now, where is that stone..........  :o
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3254 on: January 11, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
Actually I think wind is a bigger challenge than rain with a large camera like that. My Linhof tripod weighs less than 2,3 kg, it might be on the light side for the task. I will get a stone bag to hang underneath it. Now, where is that stone..........  :o

Plenty of stones here, just pay shipping and I'll send you as many as you want.   ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3255 on: January 11, 2018, 09:09:15 PM »
If you want, I can send you plenty of snow and ice. It's cheap and plentiful around here. Best of all, your gear weighs less as the day goes along  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3256 on: January 11, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
Thanks for your kind offers, but if there is anything that is plentiful in this country it's rocks and ice. And so is water, and a collapsible water bottle could be useful on a hike, just fill it in the nearest source and use it as a weight.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:24:22 PM by Kai-san »
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3257 on: January 14, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
This one showed up in a scandinavian forum, came to think of you Kai-san. Have you figured out how to develop your 8x10´s?
Also had the pleasure of playing with a 8x10 on a local analog meet-up last night, not sure how that will affect my GAS.

Kai-san

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3258 on: January 14, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
Hi hi, you seriously did not think I didn't have a plan for that? :D  May I present: The Beseler Motor Base with both continuous and reversing action and two Beseler 8x10 paper developing drums. I will need 125ml of developer per sheet, maybe even less. I plan to use one of my favourite films, the Fomapan 100. I've found that it shines with Kodak XTOL developer, and with a solution of 1:2 it should not be very expensive. And Fomapan 100 is less than half the price of Ilford FP4. By the way, when I bought that Beseler outfit (for next to nothing) I also got thrown in an 11x14 paper developing drum, you (or anybody else) can have it for free if you want it. Now that's what I call a good deal!  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3259 on: January 14, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
You can always use the big drum for big prints. It takes a lot less space than a set of trays.
Francois

cs1

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3260 on: January 14, 2018, 07:21:58 PM »
I love the Fomapan 100 as well. Have you ever tried developing it in Fomadon LQN? If not, you should really give it a try. I've read stuff like "wonderwater for Fomapan" about Fomadon and I can only say that it's true. :) The normal dilution is 1+10, however, you can also use it at 1+14 (I think that you need to multiply times by 1.4 in this case). It's not very expensive and the results are stunning.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3261 on: January 15, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
Hi hi, you seriously did not think I didn't have a plan for that? :D  May I present: The Beseler Motor Base with both continuous and reversing action and two Beseler 8x10 paper developing drums. I will need 125ml of developer per sheet, maybe even less. I plan to use one of my favourite films, the Fomapan 100. I've found that it shines with Kodak XTOL developer, and with a solution of 1:2 it should not be very expensive. And Fomapan 100 is less than half the price of Ilford FP4. By the way, when I bought that Beseler outfit (for next to nothing) I also got thrown in an 11x14 paper developing drum, you (or anybody else) can have it for free if you want it. Now that's what I call a good deal!  :)

Haha! Well - you could be fiddling around with something make do, while hatching out clever a plan  ;)
That Beseler Motor Base looks impressive in all its simplicity, never seen one before. Not sure what the 11x14 drum would be used for in my end but thank you for the kind offer! Fomapan 100 in 8x10 was rather reasonably priced indeed, how much would you need to push it to get nice grain in 8x10?  ;D

Kai-san

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3262 on: January 15, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »

Haha! Well - you could be fiddling around with something make do, while hatching out clever a plan  ;)
That Beseler Motor Base looks impressive in all its simplicity, never seen one before. Not sure what the 11x14 drum would be used for in my end but thank you for the kind offer! Fomapan 100 in 8x10 was rather reasonably priced indeed, how much would you need to push it to get nice grain in 8x10?  ;D

When it comes to grain I think we should ask James (jharr). If my memory serves me right it is to use Rodinal and shake it like a redheaded child!  ;D
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3263 on: January 15, 2018, 02:16:56 PM »
I just loved being shaken when I was a child.  :(

PSA: never shake your young kids, it's really dangerous for them.
Francois

Kai-san

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3264 on: January 15, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
I love the Fomapan 100 as well. Have you ever tried developing it in Fomadon LQN? If not, you should really give it a try. I've read stuff like "wonderwater for Fomapan" about Fomadon and I can only say that it's true. :) The normal dilution is 1+10, however, you can also use it at 1+14 (I think that you need to multiply times by 1.4 in this case). It's not very expensive and the results are stunning.

I have not tried the Fomadon LQN. My main reason for sticking with XTOL is that it is supposed to be one of the least toxic commercial developers. I have plans to test the Moersch Eco some time as I've seen some stunning results. If you read the safety data sheets you can see that they use different ingredients, but I'm not qualified to tell what is better or worse. In addition they use different standards when they rate toxic content. In a way I'm sorry that I started reading these datasheets as several of them refers to a 'test rat'. Ouch!  :o
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

AJShepherd

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3265 on: January 16, 2018, 04:45:58 PM »
Just picked up this Voigtlander Bessa-L body. I already had both a 15mm Super Wide Heliar and a 25mm Snapshot Skopar, but I haven't used them much so thought this would complement my Bessa R3A as a simple second body to take along and shoot wide!

Bessa-L With Lens by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr