Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 840591 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #3150 on: October 18, 2017, 10:47:50 PM »
Don't be scared. You'll be OK if you don't remove the dark slide in broad daylight ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3151 on: November 05, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
A few recent finds.  Olympus XA rangefinder, Olympus OM-2n and a Minolta Mini 35 slide projector.  I just ordered a bulb for the projector, hopefully everything works properly but there doesn't seem to me much that could go wrong with it.  It's super compact when it's folded up.

Olympus XA by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Olympus OM-2n Black by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Minolta Mini 35 Projector by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3152 on: November 05, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
Boy, that is really a compact slide projector. As a bonus it looks like it could be hacked into a view camera of some sort :P

I have an old 1970's carousel and it looks like a monster when compared to that!
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3153 on: November 05, 2017, 10:30:47 PM »
Boy, that is really a compact slide projector. As a bonus it looks like it could be hacked into a view camera of some sort :P

I have an old 1970's carousel and it looks like a monster when compared to that!

I found it at an estate sale yesterday and had to have it.  I have never seen these little beauties before but it looks like there are a few other similar models.  I don't view a lot of slides so I'm not looking for something that is going to take up a lot of space, this will work fine for me.  I'm sure I'll end up with my fathers carousel projector someday.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3154 on: November 06, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
The slide projector looks very nice. It has a lovely design. Nice find. :)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3155 on: November 07, 2017, 01:17:26 AM »
The projector is just so sweet. Really excellent design which does what it needs to in a good looking way.

Those Olympuses look great too.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3156 on: November 07, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »
Nice! I am fairly disappointed with my Fujica Compact 35 since I don't get used to the zone focusing, however, I have been looking for replacements and I think my next purchase will be an XA. Beautiful little thing!
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3157 on: November 07, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »
Nice! I am fairly disappointed with my Fujica Compact 35 since I don't get used to the zone focusing, however, I have been looking for replacements and I think my next purchase will be an XA. Beautiful little thing!

I just finished shooting a roll with it, hopefully I'll have some results posted by the weekend thread.  It's aperture priority and there is a shutter speed indicator in the viewfinder.  With the flash off it fit in my pocket so it's very compact.  My only complaint is that the rangefinder patch was not very bright.  I don't know if this was just a problem with mine or if this is the norm for this camera.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3158 on: November 07, 2017, 05:48:35 PM »

I just finished shooting a roll with it, hopefully I'll have some results posted by the weekend thread.  It's aperture priority and there is a shutter speed indicator in the viewfinder.  With the flash off it fit in my pocket so it's very compact.  My only complaint is that the rangefinder patch was not very bright.  I don't know if this was just a problem with mine or if this is the norm for this camera.

It's pretty common for the RF patch to be dim on those. Try a dot of Sharpie ink on the front glass to increase contrast - works wonders.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3159 on: November 10, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »
I know, I have a problem, I can't pass up a good deal, I need to unload some stuff.  I went to an estate sale yesterday, they advertised that they had records, no mention of cameras.  I didn't leave with any records but I did get all this for $15.

- Another Olympus XA with both the A16 and A11 flashes.

- A Contax T, everything seems to function as it should except the little button that pops the lens cover open.  It's still easy to open so that's not a big deal.  After fiddling with this camera last night I find that the focusing is not very ergonomic.  The rangefinder is nice and clear plus this camera is as small as the Olympus XA, it only weighs a few pounds more.  This is a seriously heavy hunk of metal for its size.  I may find I like it just for the Zeiss Sonnar lens.  The battery compartment for the flash won't open, probably due to corroded batteries inside.  I probably wouldn't use the flash anyhow so it's coming off.

- Kodak Retina Automatic III, I've always wanted a Retina, maybe not this exact model but it does have a Schneider - Kreuznach lens.  The meter works and it seems that the auto function works but it needs to be checked out more for accuracy.  It is in very nice condition and included the case. 

- Kodak Target Brownie Six-20, like I need another box camera.  This one needs new mirrors in the viewfinders, I need to try to source them to fix a few of my box cameras.  I haven't been able to get it opened yet, hoping there's some found film still in it.

- Kodak Day-Load Tank, I've always been curious how these work so now I'll know.  It's in very good condition, it even still has the instructions in the box.  I'll try a roll or two in it but I don't think it will replace my stainless reels.  It seems to me that you need a lot of leader to get it started in daylight.  I can see losing the first picture or two unless I take that into account before I start shooting.  It will probably stink of beer when I get done with it.

- Leica IIIc manual (not pictured).  This goes well with my Leica IIIc find earlier this year.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3160 on: November 10, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »
Bryan, let me know if you're ever selling one of the extras XAs. I have been interested on them lately, and would like something to carry in my pocket at some point :)

Great haul!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3161 on: November 10, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »
Bryan, let me know if you're ever selling one of the extras XAs. I have been interested on them lately, and would like something to carry in my pocket at some point :)

Great haul!

PM sent

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3162 on: November 10, 2017, 08:55:38 PM »
- A Contax T, everything seems to function as it should except the little button that pops the lens cover open
If it's anything like my Minox, the little button is not to open the cover but a battery test button. On the Minox, pressing it invariably cracks the board underneath rendering the exposure meter non functioning.

When I figure out how to open mine for repairs, I'll definitely glue that darn button with some crazy glue to prevent the hassle.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3163 on: November 10, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »
- A Contax T, everything seems to function as it should except the little button that pops the lens cover open
If it's anything like my Minox, the little button is not to open the cover but a battery test button. On the Minox, pressing it invariably cracks the board underneath rendering the exposure meter non functioning.

When I figure out how to open mine for repairs, I'll definitely glue that darn button with some crazy glue to prevent the hassle.

I did find the manual online so it is to open the lens cover.  There were a few other odd things about this camera that I needed to look up like opening the film compartment and changing the ISO setting. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3164 on: November 10, 2017, 10:30:27 PM »
Sometimes those things are not too obvious, especially in very small cameras.
On my Minox the entire back and bottom comes off with a bottom latch. ISO is on the bottom too. The front cover opens manually. Very primitive in many ways.
Francois

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #3165 on: November 12, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
ART Tomiyama 617 Camera.  Well I sold my Hasselblad 503CX, 180mm lens so I saw it in Aperture and  part exchanged a Nikon 300mm for it so why not.

Wim Wenders had one of these.  Now I do as well.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3166 on: November 12, 2017, 06:28:01 PM »
Wow! That's a very funky piece of kit!
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3167 on: November 12, 2017, 07:30:41 PM »
The shield logo almost appears to have been borrowed from Porsche.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:07:01 PM by EarlJam »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3168 on: November 12, 2017, 08:56:57 PM »
Inspired in a way...

It's a bit funny to see a Japanese camera with a traditional looking Bavarian shield :)
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3169 on: November 13, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »
I got this toy last summer and proceeded to try and build it... but it sadly is missing a few parts. Since it was made in 1972, I guess it could have been expected!

So I built a few of the parts last night and proceeded to hack it up a bit to use the lenses on my Nikon :)
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3170 on: November 13, 2017, 10:16:45 PM »
Wow!
Young me would have absolutely loved to have something like that back in 1972.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3171 on: November 14, 2017, 02:08:14 PM »
Me too as I always was a model kit and science fan. I must admit I was a bit bummed when I discovered that it was missing pieces. I know the kit was complete when I got it but I dropped the box while carrying it...
I can't get the camera assembled but since it used some Agfa Rapid cassettes, it's not really a big deal to me.
But I now have two achromats for my camera :)
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3172 on: November 17, 2017, 05:08:41 AM »
I've been getting rid of some gear on eBay so I can buy the stuff I really like.  I got this Leica IIf, body only, that had just been serviced by Yee Camera a few weeks ago.  I got it for just a little more than the price of servicing.  I wouldn't buy one of these that has not been serviced without intending to send it in.  I have been very happy with Yee camera for my other Leicas.  I also just got the VIOOH universal viewfinder.  The self timer doesn't work, I was fixing it yesterday because it needed a cleaning and lube, as I was putting it back together the spring just snapped in half. 

The funny thing about this camera, according to the serial number, it should only go to a shutter speed of 1/500 but it goes to 1/1000.  It was made in 1953 and should be a Red dial 1/500 model.  I'm assuming someone sent it in to Leica to have it upgraded. 

Leica IIf by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3173 on: November 24, 2017, 01:37:37 PM »
Just received the three rolls of Kosmo Foto I'd ordered.
Now I just need to find the time to try one out!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3174 on: November 24, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »
Wow!
These boxes are so cute!

If you plan on throwing them out, can I have them?
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3175 on: November 25, 2017, 03:26:53 PM »
Just got this lovely little lens - a Nikkor 28/3.5 in LTM - seen here gracing my Leica IIIa; I already had the matching Nippon Kogaku viewfinder. I've got several Nikkor lenses in LTM at this point, and I have to say I've been rather impressed with them. Just wished they used filter sizes that I already had (seriously, 34.5mm?).

In another realm, and not quite as recently (just got the film back, hence the delay), I bought this:

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3176 on: November 25, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »
You're lucky it has a filter thread!
My Leica elmar doesn't have any and you have to hold the filter with your fingers.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3177 on: November 25, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
You're lucky it has a filter thread!
My Leica elmar doesn't have any and you have to hold the filter with your fingers.

The Elmer lens has threads, they’re in the innermost ring closest to the lens.  It’s the same size thread as the Argus C3 so look for a filter adapter that fits the Argus, much cheaper than the Leica filters. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3178 on: November 25, 2017, 03:59:19 PM »
Yeah, the 19mm filters for the Elmar/Argus are comparatively easy to find. I've got two full sets (one Walz, one Argus) that combined give me yellow, deep yellow, green, light red, red, UV, warming, and cooling, plus a hood. I've had a lot more trouble with 34mm (for small Canon & Leica LTM); 34.5mm is unique in my collection and as such I probably won't bother with filters for it.

36mm slip-on filters work for the Elmar and the Nikkor, apparently. I'm not a big fan of slip-ons and generally use them only when there's no alternative. Plus, they're usually hideously expensive.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3179 on: November 25, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »
02Pilot, E90... 328 or 335?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3180 on: November 25, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
I've been acquiring lenses like they're going out of fashion. All Zeiss/Contax. Last one came today. I'm using my Contax SLRs more these days and I can also use these on my A7 so I can sell a bunch of other lenses (which I'll need to do to pay for these)

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3181 on: November 25, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
02Pilot, E90... 328 or 335?

E82 128i. 6MT, M-Sport.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3182 on: November 25, 2017, 09:08:52 PM »
Yeah, the 19mm filters for the Elmar/Argus are comparatively easy to find. I've got two full sets (one Walz, one Argus) that combined give me yellow, deep yellow, green, light red, red, UV, warming, and cooling, plus a hood. I've had a lot more trouble with 34mm (for small Canon & Leica LTM); 34.5mm is unique in my collection and as such I probably won't bother with filters for it.

36mm slip-on filters work for the Elmar and the Nikkor, apparently. I'm not a big fan of slip-ons and generally use them only when there's no alternative. Plus, they're usually hideously expensive.
Look into getting a step-up ring for it. I have a Canon that had the weird filter size and that's what I did as I couldn't find a cap for it at the time...
Francois

MrclSchprs

« Reply #3183 on: November 25, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »
I've been acquiring lenses like they're going out of fashion. All Zeiss/Contax. Last one came today. I'm using my Contax SLRs more these days and I can also use these on my A7 so I can sell a bunch of other lenses (which I'll need to do to pay for these)

Wow! Just .... wow!!!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3184 on: November 26, 2017, 03:14:31 AM »

Glass envy. 8)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3185 on: November 26, 2017, 06:49:38 AM »
Glass envy. 8)
That is the expression that I was looking for. ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:52:05 AM by cs1 »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3186 on: November 27, 2017, 02:11:44 PM »
Glass envy. 8)
That is the expression that I was looking for. ;)

No need for envy. These lenses are very reasonable to buy, especially if you compare with modern equivalents. I have noticed a slight increase in values recently though which is one of the reasons I went ahead and got them.

Now do I really need that 18mm I've been watching...? Hmmm.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3187 on: November 27, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »
Short answer: yes you do!
That helps doesn't it? ;)
Francois

MrclSchprs

« Reply #3188 on: November 27, 2017, 05:48:33 PM »
... and you also need that Sonnar onehundredandeighty  :)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3189 on: November 27, 2017, 06:29:26 PM »

Yes, that one's been on my radar for a while. But I know I'll never carry it so it'll become a desk ornament. Which is why I bought the Mutar III for the odd occasion I might want something longer.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3190 on: November 27, 2017, 06:32:28 PM »
Short answer: yes you do!
That helps doesn't it? ;)

I think the real answer is: no I don't. Maybe I'll wait to see what I get for the lenses I'm selling and see what I can stretch to later. The first lens I sold went for more than I expected (VM 50 f/1.5) so there's a chance.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3191 on: November 27, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
Now that's your rational brain talking. But you'd never imagine how many times my 17mm got the shot I wanted!
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3192 on: November 27, 2017, 11:42:29 PM »

Yes, that one's been on my radar for a while. But I know I'll never carry it so it'll become a desk ornament. Which is why I bought the Mutar III for the odd occasion I might want something longer.

Back when the Earth was cooling, my dad decided that we needed a 400mm M42 lens. I carried that lens with me for a full year, from California to Maine for a summer job; fall, winter, and spring in New York City; and another 8,000 miles the following summer for the return trip from NYC as far south as Charleston SC, then north to Montana before heading home. I used it exactly twice: once in Maine and once at Cape Hatteras. After that, the lens went back in the closet for 45 years until I found it while cleaning out the house for sale. At least as a door stop or desk ornament, I could have argued that the 400mm had some utility. PeterR's 135/2.8 and the Mutar III remind me that I should look for a similar combination for either the Nikon or Pentax.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3193 on: November 28, 2017, 01:38:05 PM »

Back when the Earth was cooling, my dad decided that we needed a 400mm M42 lens. I carried that lens with me for a full year, from California to Maine for a summer job; fall, winter, and spring in New York City; and another 8,000 miles the following summer for the return trip from NYC as far south as Charleston SC, then north to Montana before heading home. I used it exactly twice: once in Maine and once at Cape Hatteras. After that, the lens went back in the closet for 45 years until I found it while cleaning out the house for sale. At least as a door stop or desk ornament, I could have argued that the 400mm had some utility. PeterR's 135/2.8 and the Mutar III remind me that I should look for a similar combination for either the Nikon or Pentax.
[/quote]

That has been my experience also. Have had a couple of those pre-set aperture telephoto lenses, a 450mm f8 Soligor and a 500 f8 (some 'house brand' I can't even remember). Only used them a 2 or 3 times for 'tele compressed' urban street shots. Now, with my OM system, the longest lens I have is the little 200mm f5 but it only focuses to 8 ft. If I want to get closer, such as birds at a feeder, then I have a Tamron 135mm  f2.5 Adaptall II used with a 2X that gives me a 270mm f5 that will focus to 4 feet. Good light lens only, at f5 you don't have much room to stop down and you need to go to f11 anyway. The 2x is a Komura 7 element but I see no difference between it and cheaper 4 element designs.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3194 on: November 28, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »
was gifted this last week.
It's quite charming don't you think?    8)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3195 on: November 28, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »
These have a great lens. If the meter still works, you're in business :)
Francois

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #3196 on: December 02, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
Can I introduce you to my new friend "Aggie"...
She's... erm... experienced... but still young at heart.
I have a week off work next week, so I'm looking forward to spending some time with her...
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3197 on: December 02, 2017, 09:24:48 PM »
Reminds me a lot of my Zeiss-Ikon Nettar.
Fun little camera :)
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3198 on: December 03, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »
I had the distinct pleasure of going to a photo fair for used gear with ManuelL today with the blessing of our lovely (and patient, I might add) wives + kids. ;)

I found a wonderful Canon FD 85mm f/1.8 as well as a fitting lens hood and an interesting Soligor 20mm f/2.8 for Canon FD. I'm very happy about finding the 85mm because it tends to be quite expensive on a certain online auction house.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3199 on: December 03, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »
85mm f/1.8 is pretty darn bright... and much cheaper than the latest Noctilux 74mm f/1.2 for not that big a loss in aperture... (the Noctilux sells for a whopping 12,795$ US... yikes!)
Francois