Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 840702 times)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2800 on: February 14, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »
You aren't the first person to ask if its a truck.

I don't think new fangled and F100 work together in the truck sense tho.

Nikon!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2801 on: February 14, 2017, 08:28:22 PM »
The F100 is really nice... I have the F90x and I think it's already superlative in almost every sense.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2802 on: February 14, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »
I've wanted to try it for some time. The AF and AE features are something that I want to experience. Test roll was interesting but pretty good. The 50 Nikkor glass doesnt stand up to leica or even voigtlander for that matter, but like I said Im here for the features.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2803 on: February 14, 2017, 09:05:46 PM »
Just got an email, I'll soon be picking up a roll of Cinestill 800t in 120 for testing/review purposes from a local shop for FREE. My favorite price :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2804 on: February 14, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »
I'm afraid you won't find many SLR lenses that will give you that crispness you find on rangefinder glass.
It all has to do with the added pieces of glass required to make the lens stand far enough from the film to accommodate the flipping mirror.

I know when I first tried my Industar-61 I was blown away by how crisp the photos were.
Francois

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #2805 on: February 14, 2017, 10:28:43 PM »
I'm afraid you won't find many SLR lenses that will give you that crispness you find on rangefinder glass.
It all has to do with the added pieces of glass required to make the lens stand far enough from the film to accommodate the flipping mirror.
Good point. At least for wide angle lenses. But a 50 mm Tessar is a 50 mm Tessar, 4 elements, no matter on which cam.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2806 on: February 14, 2017, 10:52:21 PM »
But I've yet to see a tessar on an SLR...
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2807 on: February 14, 2017, 11:29:26 PM »
This was as much a gift to Mrs. jharr as to myself. It recovered some of her freezer space.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2808 on: February 15, 2017, 12:31:21 AM »

I know when I first tried my Industar-61 I was blown away by how crisp the photos were.

Definitely noting this. Stopped down 2.8 and onwards its fine. Even F2 is ok. But Wide open its too bloomy for me, at least compared to RF glass.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2809 on: February 15, 2017, 01:34:00 AM »

Carl Zeiss Tessar 50/2.8 in M42 mount. Limr has one on a Praktica.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2810 on: February 15, 2017, 07:04:16 AM »

Kodak contact printer! (!!!)

Also finally bought some rolls of Kentmere 100 and 400 ISO.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #2811 on: February 15, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »
There must be 100.000s
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Praktica_MTL3_with_Zeiss_Tessar_lens.jpeg
Millions of 50 mm non-retrofocus lenses for SLRs with 3 (Domiplan) to 7 elements.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2812 on: February 15, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
I guess they never made it here :(
Though I must admit that photography has never been very popular in Quebec. What I see the most are point and shoot and brownie Hawkeye when I shop for gear.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2813 on: February 15, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »

Carl Zeiss Tessar 50/2.8 in M42 mount. Limr has one on a Praktica.

Or the Zeiss Tessar 45mm f/2.8 in Contax/Yashica fit - one of which I've just acquired. Needed a clean and a regrease. Just need to try it out now.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2814 on: February 15, 2017, 05:36:27 PM »

Kodak contact printer! (!!!)

Also finally bought some rolls of Kentmere 100 and 400 ISO.

I just ordered a Brumberger contact printer.  I think this will make the process easier than what I have been doing. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2815 on: February 15, 2017, 06:26:55 PM »
I just ordered a Brumberger contact printer.  I think this will make the process easier than what I have been doing.

I watched a few minutes of the youtube video by the poor mute guy and I have one question. How do you do test strips with that? It seems like you would have to keep the lid opened and hold down the light switch with one hand and try to move the light shield with the other hand while somehow keeping the negative and paper registered. There must be an easier way to do it that isn't obvious from the video.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2816 on: February 15, 2017, 07:01:49 PM »

I watched a few minutes of the youtube video by the poor mute guy and I have one question. How do you do test strips with that? It seems like you would have to keep the lid opened and hold down the light switch with one hand and try to move the light shield with the other hand while somehow keeping the negative and paper registered. There must be an easier way to do it that isn't obvious from the video.

With a Kodak Projection Print Scale.

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=8939.msg120830#msg120830

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2817 on: February 15, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »

What the what!? I had stopped reading that thread for some reason, but there's some good stuff there! Thanks for the backtrack.
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2818 on: February 15, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »

What the what!? I had stopped reading that thread for some reason, but there's some good stuff there! Thanks for the backtrack.

B&H Photo sells them:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/15711-REG/Delta_12610_Projection_Print_Calculator_Scale.html

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2819 on: February 15, 2017, 07:52:16 PM »
This was as much a gift to Mrs. jharr as to myself. It recovered some of her freezer space.

Looks like mine, which has been full for years and I really need to consider getting a full sized fridge.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2820 on: February 15, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
Pentax Spotmatic F...er, Honeywell  arrived in the mail today.
came with a Takumar 1.8  55mm lens and a skylight filter too...
also got a couple rolls of Fuji Natura 1600.
The battery door/cap seems to be stuck on...any hints on getting it off without a major tussle?
Guess it's time to play with new toys this weekend!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:31:53 PM by astrobeck »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2821 on: February 15, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
Using a washer maybe?
They come in all sizes so you're bound to find one that will open it.
Also setting it on its back and putting a bit of release oil around the cap might help.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2822 on: February 15, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »
The battery door/cap seems to be stuck on...any hints on getting it off without a major tussle?

Might be the answer here

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123749
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2823 on: February 15, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
thanks Peter!
a dab of WD-40, let it sit and it came right off..  Yay.
I love Pentaxes and never had this model, but always wanted one.
I'll probably order an adapter to mate it to my telescope...

thanks!!!
Becky

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2824 on: February 15, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »

I'll probably order an adapter to mate it to my telescope...

thanks!!!
Becky

Will that result in lots of little Pentascopes? :o

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2825 on: February 15, 2017, 10:18:08 PM »
Pentax Spotmatic F...er, Honeywell  arrived in the mail today.
came with a Takumar 1.8  55mm lens and a skylight filter too...
also got a couple rolls of Fuji Natura 1600.
Guess it's time to play with new toys this weekend!

Very cool. I love those Pentaxes. The F is a great camera, but remember to keep the lenscap on, otherwise the battery will be drained next time you pick it up.

I have one arriving this week!

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2826 on: February 16, 2017, 05:11:16 AM »
Cool,
Chris we are the lucky ones this week!   8)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2827 on: February 16, 2017, 10:41:48 AM »
Cool,
Chris we are the lucky ones this week!   8)

They are great cameras and please make sure you post some output.

I had an F and also an S3, many moons ago.  Quite basic compared to a lot of their contemporaries - but all the better for it.  What I really liked about the Pentax was the quality of the lenses.  Funnily enough, having seen some photos taken on a Pentax 67, just lately, I'd love to get my hands on one with a 55mm and 105mm.  I shouldn't, of course, as I've already got enough cameras (if that's really possible) but if the right deal comes up..... 8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2828 on: February 17, 2017, 10:13:06 PM »
My SP1000 arrived this morning.

I bought one of these as a YTS student, my first "sensible" job after running away to London. I lived in a little bedsit in Plumstead, and earned £27.63 a week but was allowed to claim housing benefit. My local camera shop (I think it was at the top of Greenwich Park, or maybe Blackheath?) had an SP1000 just like it in the window. They must have taken a shine to me, because they let me buy it in installments over six weeks. I lived on nothing but tinned tomatoes on toast for those six weeks to pay for it.

It was my pride and joy, and I carried it everywhere. My work placement came with a free travelcard, so I explored all of London with this camera in hand. I was too young to enjoy it, and spent my whole time there desperately lonely, but it taught me a lot about how to look at things.

I dropped the camera on a road trip round Eastern Europe a couple of years later. I was gutted. I bought other, fancier cameras, then I had no cameras. But there was nothing as good as that old Pentax.

It all came full circle when this one arrived. I'm made up.

It needs a service though.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2829 on: February 17, 2017, 11:49:27 PM »
My SP1000 arrived this morning.

I bought one of these as a YTS student, my first "sensible" job after running away to London. I lived in a little bedsit in Plumstead, and earned £27.63 a week but was allowed to claim housing benefit. My local camera shop (I think it was at the top of Greenwich Park, or maybe Blackheath?) had an SP1000 just like it in the window. They must have taken a shine to me, because they let me buy it in installments over six weeks. I lived on nothing but tinned tomatoes on toast for those six weeks to pay for it.

It was my pride and joy, and I carried it everywhere. My work placement came with a free travelcard, so I explored all of London with this camera in hand. I was too young to enjoy it, and spent my whole time there desperately lonely, but it taught me a lot about how to look at things.

I dropped the camera on a road trip round Eastern Europe a couple of years later. I was gutted. I bought other, fancier cameras, then I had no cameras. But there was nothing as good as that old Pentax.

It all came full circle when this one arrived. I'm made up.

It needs a service though.

Not sure if there's anyone up in Derbyshire but, if not, I've read good things about Sendean in London.  I doubt there'll be many places that can do a guaranteed good job on Pentax film kit these days.

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2830 on: February 18, 2017, 08:39:12 AM »

Not sure if there's anyone up in Derbyshire but, if not, I've read good things about Sendean in London.  I doubt there'll be many places that can do a guaranteed good job on Pentax film kit these days.

Ah, but there is!

I asked a friend who is basically a walking encyclopaedia when it comes to optical equipment (he had a very technical job, part of which was servicing and calibrating optical equipment for a government department). His exact words were "If Harrow Technical can't fix it, it's f*&"!d.".

If you get it serviced with them, the whole camera is guaranteed for six months. Expensive, but I think it will be worth it.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2831 on: February 18, 2017, 08:54:03 AM »
Harrow Technical are brill for Pentax.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2832 on: February 25, 2017, 10:24:45 PM »
This is of course ALL the fault of the Spotmatic thread, and finding a good one on t'web. Looks in really great condition and can't wait to run a film through it which I'll be doing this week.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2833 on: February 26, 2017, 05:43:07 PM »
You have succumbed to a great disease.
Which lens?  Curious minds need to know.  8)
We should all show our "spottie" photos in a thread sometime soon!

That one looks great!  :) :) :)
The one I recently got needed some adjustments and a new mirror bumper, so I sent it off to Eric Hendrickson for a tune up. now I'm ansty to have it back!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2834 on: February 26, 2017, 07:49:38 PM »
As I say for anything Pentax: so many great lenses, so little time ;)
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2835 on: February 26, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »
It's got the 55mm f1.8 SMC Takumar.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2836 on: February 27, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »
Something that might just get me a bit more organised, a friend was selling his Kodak Pakon F-135+ scanner so I just had to... Now I need to read the filmwasters Guide to the Pakon F135 Plus scanner can´t wait to see how able it is compared to my v750.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:26:12 PM by Aksel »
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #2837 on: February 27, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
can´t wait to see how able it is compared to my v750.

Very fast and precise with WB. Good purchase!!
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2838 on: February 27, 2017, 02:06:19 PM »
Something that might just get me a bit more organised, a friend was selling his Kodak Pakon F-135+ scanner so I just had to... Now I need to read the filmwasters Guide to the Pakon F135 Plus scanner can´t wait to see how able it is compared to my v750.

Will you be using it with an actual Windows Xo box, or with a virtual machine on a newer version of Windows or Mac? I strongly recommend a dedicated Windows XP computer.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2839 on: February 27, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »
And the best thing is you can use an old clunker of a computer. We all have one of those lying somewhere.
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2840 on: February 27, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
And the best thing is you can use an old clunker of a computer. We all have one of those lying somewhere.

I don't know about a clunker (it needs to have USB 2.0,) but I wouldn't go beyond a Core 2 Duo with 2-3GB of RAM. If you or a family member/friend doesn't have one laying around, you should be able to find a capable laptop for $25-50
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:07:20 PM by thatguychad »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2841 on: February 27, 2017, 09:38:43 PM »
USB 2.0 cards are super cheap and reliable. I use them in many machines.
The slowest clunker I have is a 1ghz machine I use as a linux server. I loaded it with memory and a USB 2.0 card.
I still have my previous computer, an AMD athlon64 clocked at 2ghz with 3gb of memory on it. That's more than enough to run a stripped down version of XP at pretty high speeds. It's also easy to prevent it from going on the internet using the host file so you run no risk of having the system compromised yet still maintain access to the local network.
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2842 on: February 28, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
Think I have a small laptop I can run Windows XP on, but this is not my strong side - I`ll have to check it out.
Should not be a big problem, any old computer should be fine, right? Cant stand virtual machine, that was a pain in the ass last time I had to use it  :)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2843 on: February 28, 2017, 06:57:51 PM »
I picked up a new machine for me to mess around with some more 3d stuff at home.

i7 7700k, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32 gigs of ram, SSD + HDD..

I'm kind of excited to play with it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2844 on: February 28, 2017, 09:31:12 PM »
Makes my Core2 Duo bank salvage look slow... but mine does some really nice anaglyphs when you give it a proper file ;)
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2845 on: March 02, 2017, 08:37:45 AM »
oops!...I did it again.
GR1v & 10 rolls of supposedly perfectly stored Neopan 1600. Not sure why I sold my previous Ricoh, this time I will keep it.  Must be the most perfect pocket camera!?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2846 on: March 02, 2017, 08:44:16 AM »
Not sure why I sold my previous Ricoh, this time I will keep it.  Must be the most perfect pocket camera!?

Very nice.  I had a GR1s for quite a while, traded it and regretted it.  I convinced myself that I didn't really like the 28mm angle of view.  I also though of it as noisy but it was bound to be, having auto wind/rewind. D'oh!  :o

It's a very capable little machine and the lens is excellent.

GrainTrain

« Reply #2847 on: March 04, 2017, 12:16:16 AM »
I have returned from my lengthy hiatus with this lovely 500c that I got for an absolute steal!

Hassy by Scott Hayward, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2848 on: March 04, 2017, 01:28:17 PM »
Sweet
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2849 on: March 06, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »
There´s something about the Hasse, true icon, proper work horse and at good price, who could resist?