Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 840640 times)

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2013, 04:54:42 AM »
I just bought  some T-max 100 from B&H for $3.79. It will expire in Nov but as it is in the fridge now (and some will soon hit the freezer) I think it was a good deal as normally it is $4.95.

http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/detail?R=531884_USA&title=TMX+135-36+T-Max+100+Professional+Black++And%3b++White+Print+Film+(Expires+11%2f13)
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

nachtiris

Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2013, 08:58:35 AM »
Hi!

This folding-camera was a gift from my uncle. It was built in Germany in the 1920s, it has a Compur-shutter made by Friedrich-Deckel and a Steinheil Anastigmat 13,5cm f1:5,4.

It misses the film-cassette, but otherwise it seems to be ok (the shutter works fine between 1/25 and 1/200, the slower ones doesnt work).

I have cleaned the dusty lense and now I'm look for some filmcatridges.

In the near future I hope to post some pics taken with these oldtimer.

Cheers,
Christian

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
Today I finally got what I wanted for a while, after years of pondering what should I start with. I went with the Mamiya RB67 Pro S. I just need to replace the light seals on the various parts of the back and the mirror and other functions are quite smooth and quiet. Sounds quieter than my Minolta SRT-202. Going to load it with some Fomapan 400 laying around and see how it goes!

I can't wait to shoot cosplayers with this tank! Now I need a Polaroid back and a better scanner.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »
Congratulations. At least polaroid backs for the RB are not that few and far between.

Quieter than an SRT202? Then it is indeed quiet, at least compared to other MF SLR's. My Kowa Super 66 will make the grim reaper turn on his heel and run in the other direction.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »
That SRT 202 I had for almost a decade without any CLA or seal replacement. Still light tight and kicking, but I use the AutoXTL more since then. This is my 4th MF camera I have owned, my first SLR MF camera, and really is the most useful that I have ever held. I used a 4x5 for a bit, but using the focusing screen was a pain handheld. Not really the best way to use it.

Anyways I bought it with a 220 back, but I bought a separate 120 back at the same time. That was the best thing I did for it so far. Also it has the plain "Sekor" 90mm f3.8, the glass is clear, scratch free and the shutter works fine. The 220 back is the old "Pro" one without the safety features of the Pro S series. It was a weird cobbled camera, but it'll work. The WLF is amazing, and I really can't imagine how one for a 35mm camera would be like.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2013, 02:43:23 AM »
It's the large circle on the left of the Auto XTL and it's Mamiya.

I fell in love with the lens on your Auto XTL within the last few weeks. It's a charmer, for sure.

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2013, 09:07:56 AM »
It's the large circle on the left of the Auto XTL and it's Mamiya.

I fell in love with the lens on your Auto XTL within the last few weeks. It's a charmer, for sure.

When I went to Nashville, I couldn't really leave the area of my hotel, so i decided to take a walk around it and was surprised on how well it performed. I also have a 90-210mm for it pretty my new in box (I have the box and stuff). That camera just oozes quality and durability, Also the features of it was light years ahead of everyone. I had a A900 with me and only took one photo with it. I used a whole roll on the Auto XTL from ABQ and back. 

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2013, 08:59:43 PM »
I just got two cameras from my dad: An  Ica Ideal and a Voigtländer Ultramatic.

Unfortunately both have problems. The Ica's front stand doesn't move very much. Hopefully that's only a broken spring or something. The bigger problem is the shutter, which doesn't quite work on slow speeds. And the Ultramatic is "frozen". I can hear the shutter doing something when I change the speed but it doesn't fire and I can't advance the film either (obviously, as the shutter wasn't fired).

Now I have to find out how to fix those things :D At least I didn't pay anything for them.

Mind the Mix

• My heart with film, my brain with digital
    • Shooting and learning
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
I recently got a Canon P, a Leitz Elmar 90 f/4, and a Nikkor Q.C. 135 f/3.5. With the Jupiter-8 50 f/2, Jupiter-12 35 f/2.8, and Steinheil turret finder I already had I've got a pretty complete LTM kit.

(Excuse the blog watermark; I forgot to save an unmarked version.)

What a beauty! enjoy it and please post some keepers.
My heart with film, my brain with digital

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »
I recently got a Canon P, a Leitz Elmar 90 f/4, and a Nikkor Q.C. 135 f/3.5. With the Jupiter-8 50 f/2, Jupiter-12 35 f/2.8, and Steinheil turret finder I already had I've got a pretty complete LTM kit.

What a beauty! enjoy it and please post some keepers.

Thanks. The more I use it, the more I feel I've found a nearly ideal setup for my shooting style. The next step (there's always a next step, right?) is to get a less flare-prone 35 and possibly a faster 50, but there's no rush. I've just returned from two weeks abroad with the P, the J-12, J-8, and Elmar in tow, so I should have something to post from the combined 15 rolls of Tri-X and Portra 160 I shot in the near future (assuming the various airport x-ray exposures were as harmless as their operators insisted).
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
I p-p-p-picked up a penguin
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2013, 12:16:57 AM »
Just picked up a Kershaw Eight-20 Penguin....

kershaw-penguin by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr
I ran a film through it today, although I got light leaks.

Penguin-005 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

I'd taken the back off and held it up to my eyes to see if I could notice any leaks in the bellows (which are a bit stiff) but couldn't see any. Also the idea that I didn't get that in all pictures makes me think that if I tape up the case seams and put something over the red window it might be OK in future.
This shot doesn't have a problem.

Penguin-001 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

Arguably this might be the best of my test roll..

Penguin-006 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

The Penguin's a simple camera. The only focusing marks are 6ft, 10ft, Infinity. It's got three shutter settings, I (Instantaneous - no idea what the real speed is), B (Bulb, the shutter stays open so long as you keep the shutter lever depressed), and T (Time. the shutter stays open until you work the lever on the other side of the lens).
No idea what the aperture is either, maybe F11? No idea what the focal length is.
My Franka Rolfix is much more sophisticated.

But with care this one may well be worth having, and it only cost me £15 including P&P.
And it's called "Penguin", and I like folding bellows cameras....!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:19:41 AM by AJShepherd »

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
Some 120 film. Off to Dungeness tomorrow, as I missed the FW trip there due to a 'person under a train'. Quite terrible. Hope my journey there tomorrow will be less eventful
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »
Two Fuji Instax Mini 50s with film. One for each of my daughters, age 8 and 9. My Polaroid habit seems to have rubbed off on the young'uns.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
.........a Nikkor AF DC 105mm f2 D
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »
A few books on Photography... including part of a 1950's French encyclopedia where they show how to make your own wooden trays and how to time your prints using the pendulum method!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2013, 07:43:51 AM »
I got a Coronet Twelve-20 for £1 at Tynemouth Market. It works !

There's a couple more images from the camera at
http://kevinthephotographer.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/coronet-twelve-20-box-camera/

Terry

« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »
I went to Mr Cad a week ago to buy film and played with an Exakta VX 2a in beautiful condition, which I also bought.  I've run four rolls through it since.  Eminently happy with it--will post shots when I get home.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2013, 12:21:33 PM »
I've also bought an Exakta. A near mint Exakta VX1000 to be precise and I'm very happy with it.  :)
My EXA, on the other hand, has still not arrived.  >:(

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »
My EXA 1a came this afternoon. It's in a great shape, just as nice as my Exakta. I played it with it for a while,
took the WLF out, and suddenly, the focusing screen fell out and I don't know how to put it back.  >:(

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2013, 08:12:57 PM »
....an EXA IIb with a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar f2.8/50mm. In very nice condition. Shutter firing on all speeds (which sound okay - but just running a roll of film through it to test)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2013, 04:33:50 PM »
Just got more books for next winter. A nice albeit small-ish one by Lartigue, one of early New York photographs and one on the history of photography.
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »
my newly polished and recoated summicron is on its way back to me! Can't wait to get out with it.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »
I can't be the only one who has had people, upon discovering that you actually still shoot film, offer you a old camera they have tucked away someplace. Being an unfailingly polite sort, who am I to refuse these generous offers? As a result of this phenomenon, I've acquired a couple of additions to the collection.

I already mentioned the Konica III fixed-lens rangefinder I got from my grandfather via my uncle. I've now had a chance to shoot some film through it, and the lens is downright excellent:

More recently, via one of my Central European relatives, I got something a bit more, erm, Soviet:

A Smena-6, injection-molded plastic with a 40mm f/4 lens in a shutter that seems an unflattering copy of some pre-war Western model. Bright clear 1:1 viewfinder though, and oddly charming in its way. It needed a little freshening up (stuck shutter and a bit of haze, primarily) but is now working perfectly (relative to its design, not relative to perfection), apart from a rather severe light leak that is likely down to a small piece of the plastic body that's gone missing. It also lacks a rewind mechanism, so it requires removing the film in the dark and winding it back into the cassette manually; apparently, only weak capitalist Americans require such soft consumer conveniences.

Finally, something I actually purchased rather than having it thrust at me by a friend or relative:

It just came in this morning. A bit of cleaning and it's ready to go. Just have to load up some film in the Canon P.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2013, 01:21:05 AM »
Early (1959) Nikon F1 with motor drive. Rare collectors piece....

chricela

• Black and White Film Process
« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2013, 04:44:21 AM »
This thread is a total drool session! ::)
This arrived yesterday!

;)

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2013, 08:50:20 AM »
Shhhhh - a digital camera. Yes readers, I've bought a DC. In red. Just to make sure that everybody notices it. It's a Lumix GF2, body only. I'm going to pop a Wanderlust pinhole on the front of it, a Holga finder on the top of it and create some difficult to comprehend (square) pinholes.

I also bought another film camera, though, yesterday. A Motor Marine underwater thing in under-stated yellow for photographing nudes in pools. Should the summer return to the UK again this year.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »

Wow, that is total McCullin!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
I just picked up...
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
I've gone P&S crazy:

Olympus Mju-1
Ricoh R1
Nikon L35AF
Konica Big Mini

At least one of each ;) However the more important buys are 500ml of Rodinal (bye bye Caffenol) and a bigger Paterson tank. One that holds two 120 spools.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2013, 10:25:53 AM »

Wow, that is total McCullin!

Hi Nigel.

I must admit that I thought the same thing when I saw it. It's not the prettiest to look at and the motor drive is clearly a hastily assembled after-thought, as it fits together like a mad Meccano set. But I just love it. I managed to persuade the shop to throw in a regular "F" back / baseplate as I won't always want to use the motor drive, even on single shot mode as it is rather heavy - with or without the 8 AA batteries.

I didn't buy the lens - just body, power pack and F36 motor drive. It's all in remarkably good working condition, given its age. It is one of the first year's production (inside first 9,000 units produced between March and December 1959). The final batch was produced in 1973 when the F2 line took over.  The great thing is, though, that the F will work with almost every Nikon lens ever made - right up to current day. It's pre-Ai (so no "rabbit ears" to couple with the meter / body).  So, as long as the lens has an aperture ring, it will work fine. It will even work with the modern "G" lenses (which have no aperture ring) but only at their maximum aperture, of course. There is no meter and it's all mechanical.

I've never "collected" cameras before but now find myself with an F, F2, F3, F5, F6 and an FE.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
I got a Coronet Twelve-20 for £1 at Tynemouth Market. It works !

There's a couple more images from the camera at
http://kevinthephotographer.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/coronet-twelve-20-box-camera/

yay! I've got a similar one that I flipped the lens on :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasfx/6990523836/#
but it goes under the name kenilworth model II

now me, I found this at a large showing that I was part of yesterday. he said that he couldn't get it to work so I got it for 4,5 EUR.

tinkered a bit with it, fed it fresh batteries and it SEEMS like it's working! I'm holding my thumbs here until the first roll is developed haha
/jonas

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »
... a "Rodenstock Doppel-Anastigmat Eurynar I" 6.8/420 (approx. 1915) for my wet plate project.
Very cheap, because the aperture blades doesn't function. After an intense CLA they work like new.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2013, 06:05:17 PM »
Volker that's a beautiful lens, I look forward to seeing your project.
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2013, 07:54:27 PM »
I've never "collected" cameras before but now find myself with an F, F2, F3, F5, F6 and an FE.

There seems to be a gap in that series! Mmm, nice!

Nikon F4 F4s Guigiaro Design Austin Calhoon Photograph [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], by Austin Calhoon (http://austincalhoon.com), from Wikimedia Commons

I do like the idea of the F2, but I'm scared that could be the gateway drug to a collection (rather like yours!).  :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »

There seems to be a gap in that series! Mmm, nice!

Nikon F4 F4s Guigiaro Design Austin Calhoon Photograph [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], by Austin Calhoon (http://austincalhoon.com), from Wikimedia Commons

I do like the idea of the F2, but I'm scared that could be the gateway drug to a collection (rather like yours!).  :)

Yep - and I know exactly where to get an F4 from. If Lara's looking for something to contribute towards for Christmas, this will be high on the list. First autofocus Nikon and the last of the professional line that had all the main controls as dials rather than butons or menu selections.

The F2 is probably the best made and easiest to use. My F2 Photomic (DP1 head) is a simple match-needle job and the meter still works fine. The F2AS is, arguably, the most sought after and, as the last version of the F2, has identical metering to the F3. Go on, treat yourself....... :)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »
I had been semi-successfully controlling my Nikon F lust. You lot are not helping.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
I've just bought a nice looking and perfectly functioning Yashica Mat-124 to keep company
to her younger sister - Yahica Mat-124G.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
I got a deal at a garage sale this morning!
I picked-up a Polaroid Spectra 1200i with 1½ pack of film for it for 5$

Film expired in 2001, very brown tone but still works. Apart from one print that gave me a massive grey goop blow-out, it works like new. It even came in its original box with the instructions!
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »
Picked up last week at auction (almost embarrassed to admit this...) 100 rolls of (expired) film for £3.50, still in the outer cardboard shipping carton. The next lot was similar, so the auctioneer offered me the second lot for the same price. Seemed rude not to accept his generosity.

Now if I could just find a pro-lab to give me a 200-roll discount, I'd be a very happy Film Waster.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »
Just got a bunch of old photography magazine from a local store that was closing its doors. A dozen magazines for 1$. That's my price :)
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »

Sold my Leica M2 a while back and what I missed the most was the 40mm lens.  So, there

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
I just picked up...
« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2013, 05:06:33 PM »
It's a great focal length. I love the Minolta Hi-Matic F I got from Peter Robinson. Maybe I should also get one of those shutter button thingies, too. But I would probably have many bag shots then as the Minolta doesn't have a shutter lock (my only gripe with it).

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2013, 06:01:31 PM »
It's a great focal length. I love the Minolta Hi-Matic F I got from Peter Robinson. Maybe I should also get one of those shutter button thingies, too. But I would probably have many bag shots then as the Minolta doesn't have a shutter lock (my only gripe with it).

I got it for my Leica but never used it.  But with the Canonet, because the shutter button has a pretty long throw it's much more comfortable with the button doodad (I know that sounds a bit counter-intuitive but I like it better with it).

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2013, 09:10:35 PM »
The big add-on buttons are called soft shutter releases...
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2013, 05:11:25 AM »
is it a japanese QL17 or a taiwan QL17? Arent the black ones japanese? Nice pickup.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
is it a japanese QL17 or a taiwan QL17? Arent the black ones japanese? Nice pickup.

Made in Taiwan.  Black ones were made in both countries.  Thanks!  Just finished my first roll and we shall see...

MitzyG

• 35mm
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2013, 05:51:32 AM »
Over the weekend I picked up a POLAROID 100 Automatic Land Camera at Saint Vincent de Paul's for $9. It is in pristine condition. No light leaks, no corrosion in the battery chamber, came with the cold plate and instruction manual.
I am broke due to having my car in the shop and needing two tires so I will have to wait till the middle of the month for film and a battery. I am still trying to decide whether to change it to modern batteries or to use the ones on offer at the Film Photography Project.
I told everyone on Facebook that I was looking for old cameras and now have several things in the mail. I will post those when I get them.
I thought I had a picture of the Land Camera but I can't find it.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »
I've been wanting a plate camera for a while and since joining you crazy folk on here, I decided that I'd like to Waste some paper negatives. So I picked up a Voigtlander Vag (that's what it says on the leather strap) with three holders for paper or film and what appears to be a glass plate holder. It's the same film size, but a lot thicker.

It's in fantastic condition & I can't wait to start Wasting with it
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »
I am still trying to decide whether to change it to modern batteries or to use the ones on offer at the Film Photography Project.
I have a cheaper model which I converted to 2 AAA's. If you're at all handy with stripping short tiny wires and soldering, I think it's worth it. AAA's are very cheap and plentiful. Converting it will cost less than an original battery and work just as fine.
Francois

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2013, 05:37:03 AM »

My Duo by Eirik0304, on Flickr
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »
EZZIE: Wow! I so wanted one of these, but I just don't have the skill to build it. It was the fold-your-own bellows which put me off.

And well done for painting it in studio red - it adds to it's awesomeness. Please post a Pola on here when you've used it.

So cool!
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk