Author Topic: New Video on Pre-Flashing Paper Negatives  (Read 6121 times)

JoeV

New Video on Pre-Flashing Paper Negatives
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »

I got around to shooting some video yesterday on the subject of pre-flashing paper negatives. I tried to be as informative as I could while keeping the length of the piece as short as possible, but I still managed to make it 11 minutes long. Apparently I love to talk.

I didn't touch on how to actually do test strips or contact prints, since I'm assuming most people with an interest in this sort of thing already have some darkroom experience (though that would make for another good informational video), but I did show how I do a basic pre-flashing exposure test strip.

For those interested in such things as the behind-the-scenes details of shooting video, I used an adapted manual focus film camera lens while recording the video on the Lumix G5, a 25mm Vivitar series 5 in Minolta MD mount, giving an angle of view equivalent to 50mm in the micro-4/3 format. I did this so you wouldn't see the constant hunting of an autofocus lens, so I could easily adjust the lens aperture and so I could more easily manually focus for the closeup shots. I also like the smoothness of the video using this old lens. The video was recorded in MP4 format so it could be uploaded to the iPad2 and edited in iMovie into the finished production. The iPad doesn't play well with AVCHD video files, hence the use of MP4.

Let me know if you have any additional questions on the subject of preflashing paper negatives. Enjoy.

~Joe

PS: I will soon be making a video on the subject of using Harman Direct Positive Paper, including pre-flashing.

http://youtu.be/13PGOFqNruU

[VIDEO=youtube_share;13PGOFqNruU]http://youtu.be/13PGOFqNruU[/VIDEO]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:36:14 AM by JoeV »

astrobeck

Re: New Video on Pre-Flashing Paper Negatives
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 02:50:07 AM »
Hey Joe, I can't get the link to work...
Would love to see it.
Becky

JoeV

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:37:16 AM »
The link should be fixed now, sorry for the confusion.

~Joe

astrobeck

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:49:45 AM »
Great!   
Do you stockpile your pre-flashed paper, or do you pre-flash as you use it?

Also, could you show us the bulb in the can in action?  It might not show up well in daylight...but I'm interested in the beam/amount of light it emits, or have I misunderstood what happens?

Do you use the same paper for pinhole and lensed cameras? And are pre-flashing times the same for each?  Does it matter that the pinhole shots are going to be longer?  Or is it only the shade of gray that matters?
Thanks!
Great video!    :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:20:24 PM by astrobeck »

JoeV

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:12:45 PM »
Becky,

I pre-flash before each use. I have, however, pre-flashed a whole batch for my 8x10 pinhole box camera with the storage compartment, then went on a week-long vacation, and have also done so with the plywood 4x5 while on vacation, and saw no difference in the image. I suspect the latent preflash image would last a long time, as long as any latent exposure on paper will last.

I use the same preflash amount for the same paper, regardless of which type of camera it's going into. For the grade 2 Arista RC paper I preflash for around 8 seconds, while for Harman DPP it's 3.5 seconds. This makes sense because I've seen little or no reciprocity effect with paper negatives, so there should be little difference between a sub-1 second glass lens exposure and a lengthy pinhole exposure, in terms of how the preflash effect works with the in-camera exposure.

If a person wanted to get real scientific about it they could use a different preflash amount for indoor studio lighting versus daylight, since in the studio you can control the color of light and hence affect the contrast artificially, but you'd have to experiment with it first. For my still lifes, I just use indirect north-facing window light and I get good results.

I think it's the shade of gray that matters. I touched on this in the video but didn't expound on the reasons, but each step in the zone system is a doubling or halving of the exposure from its neighbor, so that if I give a preflash exposure to paper that brings the amount of gray up to, say, zone 1, and there are 9-1 = 8 zones between zone 1 shadows and zone 9 highlights, the amount of highlight exposure is therefore 2^8 = 256 times more exposure than that zone 1 preflash exposure, so therefore that little zone 1 preflash exposure will hardly affect at all the highlights, which has the effect of reducing the contrast.

I'll try to remember to include in my next video a shot of what the light looks like when in operation. In general, the light casts a faint circle of light upon the work table in my darkroom that's maybe 3' in diameter, and I just make sure the paper is face up somewhere near the middle of that circle, and that there's nothing else that can reflect light and mess things up (like the piece of contact printing glass to the right of the gray cutting board in the video, for instance, that could cause some weird effect due to reflection of light). The 5mm aperture in the light source, plus the height above the work surface, is how I'm controlling the strength of the preflash light. My desire was to get it weak enough so my exposure times would be in the 5-10 second range, sufficiently long to be accurately timed via my old Gralab timer.

I should have included it this time, but of course the director (me) forgot to tell the cameraman (also me)! It might also help if I scripted or storyboarded these videos a little more thoroughly, as I tend to work from stream-of-consciousness a lot, then edit afterwards.

~Joe
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:18:47 PM by JoeV »

astrobeck

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications. 8)

I may try this, even though I said I would NEVER pre-flash because I think it's too  fussy.
But never say NEVER, right?
Anyway, I got  a bulb just like the one you have and I can rig up something similar to your setup.

I currently like my work flow, and am fairly happy with my paper negs, but if I can make them better with just a small amount of extra effort, then I'm game.

The lazy side of my brain is having a fit right now.  :)

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
New Video on Pre-Flashing Paper Negatives
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 11:21:21 PM »
Becky, I used to feel the same way about preflashing but realised that I'm in my darkroom/bathroom cutting the 10x8 sheets down to fit the 4x5 holders and it takes 15secs to put the sheet under the lamp and flash it before cutting.

At that point it felt silly not to preflash the paper.

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »
Joe, one more question about the "light can".
Is the inside of it painted or did you leave it silver?
Some insides of cans have white liners...so I'm curious what you did.
Thanks,
Becky

JoeV

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:36:55 PM »
Becky;

Like most projects I've built, it's a kludge from the beginning.

This one has a plastic lamp socket in the can, the two wires of which protrude through a hole in the top, with the socket and bulb just hanging in the can. Be sure to use a rubber washer or appropriate grommet for safety, so the can doesn't cut into the wiring. The plastic plumbing ring below the bulb, that has the black paper disc with 5mm hole, is taped to the lamp socket with black gaffer's tape, so that the bulb is kind of encapsulated in gaffer's tape, so that little or no light goes into the sides of the can, mainly through the aperture hole. Yea, like I said, it's a kludge.

As for the color of the insides of the can, this was a sauce can, so it's probably lined with some white finish, but I didn't apply any additional paint. But as I indicated above, very little light gets to the sides of the can.

If I were rebuilding this from scratch, I'd just hang the bulb and lamp socket in the middle of the can and tape a heavy disc of opaque material to the bottom of the can, with the aperture hole. You could paint the inside black, or just use a sleeve of black craft paper inside, to deaden the reflections.

And actually, I don't think reflections are all that bad; the whole point of the contraption was just to extend the preflash exposure time to be more accurately repeatable; you could experiment with different sized holes to get exposure time in the ballpark desired, that and/or varying the distance above the table that it's hung.

Have a nice WPPD day, I plan on shooting in downtown Abq.

~Joe

EDIT: Also, since the light is only turned on for a brief period, I don't worry about heat buildup, either. Which is a good thing, because it would be more difficult to have to vent the can with air while keeping stray light from leaking out.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:40:26 PM by JoeV »