Author Topic: Please allow me to introduce myself...  (Read 4728 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Please allow me to introduce myself...
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:01:47 AM »
I am a hack photographer, but I enjoy myself while doing it for the most part. I'm also a bit of an old-fashioned tinkerer, so any old camera that happens to come into my hands as likely as not tends to get taken apart.

While I've been shooting film for a while, I got it in my head that I needed a camera for Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day (28 April, in case you're wondering), so I built one (well, sort of).

I have to say I'm rather pleased with the results.

Full details and a couple more photos here: http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/meet-the-camera-kodak-brownie-flash-six-20-pinhole-conversion/

Anyway, here I am. Thanks for having me.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
Re: Please allow me to introduce myself...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:22:39 AM »
Very nice work .. Both the camera and the image!

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:32:10 AM »
Great! and welcome to the forum...  :)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:37:44 AM »
Great job and welcome 02Pilot. You obviously know how to drill a perfectly round  hole.
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »
Very nice project, and good results too. Obviously you know more than how to tinker with cameras.

Welcome.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:59:22 AM »
Welcome home Mr. Pilot  ;D

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 01:18:43 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Now that I've got some of the bugs worked out of the camera, hopefully I'll have some more images to show after WPPD next weekend. I'm very interested to see what others come up with.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 01:56:16 PM »
You've  come to the right place as far as tinkering goes.  :)
Quite a few hackers and tinkerers here, myself included.

Looking forward to seeing more photos and camera hacks from you!
 :) :) :)

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
Welcome! That's an impressive photo-I like it very much..
Regards
Mark
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »
Welcome 02 :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

ambaker

Please allow me to introduce myself...
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »
You are definitely all set to go for Pinhole Day. 

Oh that my early attempts would ever turn out so well...  Who am I trying to kid?...  If any of my attempts would turn out so well...  :frown:

Welcome!  Beautiful work, and very interesting camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Does your image show what you saw, or how you felt about what you saw?

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 01:03:23 AM »
I've seen those little aperture discs on eBay.

I wonder if you could somehow hack a Brownie Hawkeye lens and replace it with one of these, and that way you'd get re-printable negatives.
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 04:04:52 AM »
I've seen those little aperture discs on eBay.

I wonder if you could somehow hack a Brownie Hawkeye lens and replace it with one of these, and that way you'd get re-printable negatives.

The ones on ebay may be similar, but I actually made mine from shim stock and a #79 drill bit.

As far as simply replacing the lens on a Brownie Hawkeye, that was my original plan, but it doesn't work very well - there is significant vignetting due to the distance of the lens from the shutter plate. Unless you're willing to drill out the fixed aperture in the shutter plate, it will vignette. I was not willing to make that irreversible modification, so I went with the Plan B camera you see above.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 05:13:11 AM »
I don't understand why it would vignette. Isn't the shutter completely out of the way when its clicked, especially if you are using 'bulb' and a modified cable release?

I'm not doubting you, I'm just trying to gain a better understanding. Pinhole is completely foreign to me, but I've got an interest in trying it out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:17:40 AM by ChristopherCoy »
Christopher

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 12:55:45 PM »
I don't understand why it would vignette. Isn't the shutter completely out of the way when its clicked, especially if you are using 'bulb' and a modified cable release?

I'm not doubting you, I'm just trying to gain a better understanding. Pinhole is completely foreign to me, but I've got an interest in trying it out.

The problems with converting the Brownie Hawkeye are that there are multiple points along the way through which the light must pass, and that the lens is some distance behind the aperture in the shutter plate (the glass on the front of the camera is just a thin protective sheet; the lens is mounted in the film holding assembly). If you just pop out the lens and install a pinhole plate, the aperture (and to a lesser extent the sheet metal plate behind it) restricts the angle of the light entering the body to the extent that it will vignette. The same problem exists if you put the pinhole in place of the protective glass on the front of the camera body.

Now, if you put the pinhole plate on the front side of the shutter assembly, you can resolve the problem, but it's not as easy a conversion. Not saying it can't be done, but the idea of just popping out the lens and putting in a pinhole - which was the way I planned to do it, as it was both easy and entirely reversible - doesn't work very well. You do need to add a cable release and tripod socket as well, but these are both pretty straightforward.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 02:51:34 PM »
02Pilot...you are entirely correct..tried this a couple times and it will not work the way you wanted it too..sad but true..You could put the pinhole in the very front but then it still has the light traveling past several obstacles that restrict the amount of light..you could take all the guts out and have a workable pinhole but not the shutter assembly...which I have done but it kinda defeats the purpose and makes just a 4 x4 pinhole holder  and you have to find a way to keep your paper or film in place without those "guts".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »
Unless you put the pinhole inside the film chamber...But then you might get vignetting from the front "tunnel" you created.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
Unless you put the pinhole inside the film chamber...But then you might get vignetting from the front "tunnel" you created.

exactly! and with this size I didn't want that much vignetting!

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 02:44:59 AM »
I opened one of my Brownie Hawkeye's today to get a better understanding of what you were explaining, and in fact everything y'all said now makes perfect sense.
Christopher

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 03:06:56 AM »
I'm quite surprised you didn't get any vignetting from your Brownie flash20 as the pinhole seems to be very deep (at least from your pic). I've made similar conversion with a Kodak Cresta and had to change it later after huge amounts of vignette...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 03:22:16 AM by sapata »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »
I'm quite surprised you didn't get any vignetting from your Brownie flash20 as the pinhole seems to be very deep (at least from your pic). I've made similar conversion with a Kodak Cresta and had to change it later after huge amounts of vignette...

The picture above may be somewhat deceptive; the depth is really not that much (maybe half an inch), and the opening in front of the pinhole plate is plenty large to avoid vignetting. The shutter is directly behind it, and there is nothing behind that to obstruct the light from getting to the film. This particular Brownie model is actually quite well-suited to pinhole conversion, and the 6x9 negative is an extra bonus IMHO. Probably not as common as the Hawkeye, however.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »
Sorry - not sure how I missed this thread. A warm welcome to you O2 .... Looking forward to seeing more of your pics.
L.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 01:56:37 AM »
What a beautiful little pinhole cam and lovely image!  Welcome, 02pilot!