Author Topic: buying an enlarger  (Read 9012 times)

your_waitress

buying an enlarger
« on: March 13, 2006, 07:11:48 PM »
hello lovely filmwasters!

i am finally in a position to set up my own home darkroom in the next month or so. i am currently browsing the for sale ads on craigslist and asking everyone i know in the bay area to look out for equipment. i prefer to buy locally to save on shipping and so i can inspect the equipment firsthand before parting with my hard earned cash.

i have no problems with getting or assessing the other stuff needed, just the enlarger which is the most important. so my question is, what do i need to look for in an enlarger? any warning signs that i should be aware of? any suggestions for what to look for, or any recommendations for enlargers that you love, would be much appreciated. also, how do i know what a 'fair price' would be? i need one that will do 35mm as well as 120 films. i have seen a few omega d2's around, which i used in the past. a long time ago...

thanks for any help!! once i get back in there with the chemicals i'm sure i'll have tons of other silly questions for you all so please be kind. it has been quite a few years since i was actually in the darkroom but i am so excited to go back to where it all began. ;-)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: buying an enlarger
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:01:18 PM »
For me, the main things to look for are ability to align/ adjust alignment of the lens plane with the negative holder/ base board - this is vital, and also as sturdy a column as possible, vibrations just kill image quality dead.
L.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:54:57 AM »
Congrats Valerie. Pleased as punch to hear you're heading into the dark.

Check to make sure the condensor and lenses are fungus and scratch free.

Also, if you will be using it for 35mm and 120mm, check to see if the enlarger comes with a 50mm and an 80 or 105mm or larger to cover 120mm. You can buy better lenses later, but just something to ask when buying.

A manual is always nice, but not necessary. Plus, you can get them online.

Does the unit come with negative carriers in the sizes you need? Easy to get extras online...but something to ask.

Oh, and make sure there isn't a spiders nest inside your condensor drawer.
Just found a massive tangled web of creepy crawlers inside the Bessler I had in storage---Not sure how the little buggers got in there, but eeeeek! Can't say that will make for crisp enlargements.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 03:57:54 AM by Susan B. »

JOhn Reeves

• Still Working
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 04:43:53 AM »
Also look for a good digital timer for the enlarger and maybe an old style one for timing in the chemistry. If you run across a foot switch for the timer you'll be happy you did.
If your pocket still has some cash, spring for a good easel. I yearn for a 4 blade easel, but have made masks for my two blade easel to get what I want.
wasting film since 2002

your_waitress

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 01:24:55 AM »
thanks for the great feedback all!! i will keep those in mind.

i'm going to go look at a full darkroom kit on monday that has almost everything you all mentioned plus much more. hopefully, if it works out all i'll need are some black cloths and chemicals. now that part, i can handle!

susan--spider nests! so that's how you get that great blur. i knew it. ;-)
seriously, that would have freaked me out. i'm scared to death of spiders. *shivers*

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 03:23:46 PM »
Spider's nest? Now that would make for some interesting print blur, Ms. B! ;-)

Good luck with the hunt for an enlarger and setting up a darkroom, Valerie. I've been mulling over doing the same. I've seen some wonderful deals over at eBay for Beseler 23C-II's since I'd need something that could take up to 6x9 format. I'm tempted. Really tempted. And I've got a spare bathroom that would work but it needs some major mods before I can use it for that purpose.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

tread

• what is this nasty film on my teeth?
    • GoTreadGo
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 04:00:10 PM »
Strangely both on and off topic...has anyone seen or used one of these... http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?pid=5626 I'm intrigued at least to ponder, it looks like the old Bogen that I learned to print on back in the late 80s...
check out my self-righteous crud at http://gotreadgo.blogtog.com/ i'm apologizing in advance.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 04:57:50 PM »
Strangely both on and off topic...has anyone seen or used one of these... http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?pid=5626 I'm intrigued at least to ponder, it looks like the old Bogen that I learned to print on back in the late 80s...

Hey T--

I've seen the Holgal enlargers at Freestyle Hollywood. And I've even considered getting one, since they are really small, light and can just pop into my teeny bathroom without much fuss or muss.
I have a bessler, but loved the idea of a holga as a fun second toy.
In the case you can only get one enlarger, my thoughts are that it's better to grab a top notch used one for close to the price.
I have a friend who got the Holga enlarger for laughs and said it did a sufficient job...But it's very unpredictable. Sound familiar?
Personally, I enjoy not having control when shooting--but in the darkroom--a bit of control is preferred. :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 05:02:06 PM by Susan B. »

tread

• what is this nasty film on my teeth?
    • GoTreadGo
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 07:46:09 PM »
I think the Holga enlarger should fetch about $49...but that is me. With enlargers being sold to finance new Epson digi-darkroom gear you can nab a nice old kit for pennies on the buck for sure...
check out my self-righteous crud at http://gotreadgo.blogtog.com/ i'm apologizing in advance.

your_waitress

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 08:36:40 AM »
Spider's nest? Now that would make for some interesting print blur, Ms. B! ;-)

Good luck with the hunt for an enlarger and setting up a darkroom, Valerie. I've been mulling over doing the same. I've seen some wonderful deals over at eBay for Beseler 23C-II's since I'd need something that could take up to 6x9 format. I'm tempted. Really tempted. And I've got a spare bathroom that would work but it needs some major mods before I can use it for that purpose.

thanks mr. bill! good luck with your hunt as well. i have a huge walk-in closet with a window that i am going to try to convert, but might go the old kitchen route, which has no windows but might be easier to use. my bathroom is miniscule and the cat really has dibs on that room. i'll have to see what works best when i get all the goods.

FrankB

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 01:45:36 PM »
Personally, I enjoy not having control when shooting--but in the darkroom--a bit of control is preferred. :)

See, now I'm a total control freak! That must be where I'm going wrong (that and not making enough damn photographs!).

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 02:11:19 PM »
I have an Omega D2v.  I love the variable condensor thing (but it shows every tiny bit of dust with great precision).  I can enlarge up to 4x5 (if I have the right lens).  The only thing I find limiting is that the head doesn't flip to project on a wall.  Which, in my opinion, would be kix so that I can enlarge really big.  Some Besseler models do have a rotating head.  If I want big, I'd have to suspend from the ceiling or something crazy.  But, for ease of use it's ok.  I don't know about leveling the head either.  It seems really rigid and so far for 11x14 prints, the only thing I've worried about is if my floor was level (since it sits on my bathroom floor where I print).

Good luck finding one that suits you!

your_waitress

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 10:28:04 PM »
thanks tammy for that info! the one i looked at had some probs and they wanted way too much than i can afford right now. so i'm still looking. i'll have to wait until the right one comes to me.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 02:25:12 AM »
thanks tammy for that info! the one i looked at had some probs and they wanted way too much than i can afford right now. so i'm still looking. i'll have to wait until the right one comes to me.

Valerie--did you look at Craigslist.org? I just did a quick check for you on Craigslist.org/SF and there were several listed that were worthy of checking. There was a Beseler 23C for 150.00. I have the 23CII and it's a solid machine. There's are several others --check it out. :)