Author Topic: Ag Photo Lab  (Read 14039 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Ag Photo Lab
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »
Anyone had contact with Ag Photo Lab or Ag Photgraphic recently?

I sent them some films begining of last week and have heard nothing - in the past they've sent an email to confirm receipt but this time nothing.

I've emailed them and got no response and the phone just goes to a recorded message.

I'm getting concerned.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: Ag Photo Lab
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »
Peter - I've just received a mailshot from them promoting their services including the lab, so it doesn't sound like it's anything terminal, maybe try giving them a call -  0121 366 0016.

Nigel
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
I've never use Ag for processing, I still send all my colour films to Peak Imaging but my last order of film from Ag took nearly a month to arrive. I don't think anything untoward has happened I think it's just a matter of they've bitten off more they can chew.

Martin who runs Ag often pops up on FADU so may be worth asking there too...

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »
Tried calling them again and did get to speak to someone this time. All is well I'm glad to say and films are on their way back.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »
Sorry Peter - I missed the bit where you said you'd already called.

I've been using Peak for a few years, I've always had very quick service, my only small issue is sometimes the negs can be dustier than I would expect.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »
Glad that ended well for you, Peter. I'm about to send some films off to Ag myself and a few of us were planning to pop in there on Wednesday after we call in at Focus at the NEC to see the Ilford/Harman stand. The Ag premises are about 20 minutes away from the NEC by car.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
Also, Damion got a bunch of negs back from AG on Saturday. He said turnaround was pretty good.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »
Yeah, I've found them to be quick and price is good and they supply prepaid bags to send the films in. Plus, they 'usually' send you an email when they receive the films. It's just I had no email and couldn't get a reply from them so started to panic.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 05:19:44 PM »
So i think they are busy at the moment .... usually i get the received the lab, processing your order, order sent out emails... this time i also heard nothing for about 10 days, then got the received in lab email, then it arrived at my house the following day!

David A-W

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 08:49:59 PM »
Not impressed at all with my first experience of using them: I sent off two films on 25th Feb. I got the film received email on 28 Feb and six days later still no films received. So much for first-class postal delivery and 24hr turnaround. I've used The Darkroom in Cheltenham in the past and will revert to them in the future I think.

Nasir

• 35mm
    • Simply Oxford
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »
I didn't want to take any chances with Royal Mail so I couriered my films to Ag and received a 'film in lab' email the very next day. That was last Friday so we shall see how long it takes to receive my films back. It's my first order with them as I usually do all of my own processing and scanning but during the winter it's a bit cold in my studio to do C41 processing.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
Ditto, as above.  The Darkroom in Cheltenham, with its 24 hour turnaround, has never given me any reason to consider changing processor.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 11:42:56 AM »
Does Ag actually do the processing themselves or is it subbed out to a lab?

I've only ever bought film from them and have never had any take longer than a couple of working days to reach me in the wilds of East Anglia.

Slightly OT but I've got a load (20 rolls or so) of Velvia 35mm to have processed. I don't need it mounting - just "process only". "Genie" seems to offer very good value but I've never used them before. Has anyone had any issues with them? Is there anyone else that does E6 processing at reasonable cost?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
Looks like AG bought Metro labs (Peter Gaffney)

I found this out after looking at the Metro colour labs website which suggested they were open after new year and after i walked down there found Peter Gaffney tidying up the unit.... he said he sold all the stuff to AG and im sure he said the same staff had also moved over.

So its all the same equipment and staff doing it at new premises.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 08:46:30 PM »
Slightly OT but I've got a load (20 rolls or so) of Velvia 35mm to have processed. I don't need it mounting - just "process only". "Genie" seems to offer very good value but I've never used them before. Has anyone had any issues with them? Is there anyone else that does E6 processing at reasonable cost?
I used them a few times. Initially good but I got a few orders back covered in dust so was looking for somewhere else. That's when I first tried AG. I've used Metro in the past and as AG is the same people etc. but with cheaper prices than Metro used to charge, I thought I'd try them. Sounds like they are struggling to keep up though as they have been great the few times I've used them previously.

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »
I use Peak Imaging and they've always been great, though I will be trying Genie sometime but will leave Ag for now for developing. Great film supplies though!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 11:34:07 PM »
Leon, Damion, Phil Bebbington and I popped into Ag on our way home from Focus On Imaging today and I'm pleased to report that they are very much alive and kicking. Matt gave us a 'backstage' tour and it's fair to say that he was almost bouncing off the walls with enthusiasm throughout our visit. Lots of exciting plans for the future.

The processing side of things looked very well run and I was so impressed with the setup that I dropped off a few films while I was there. Since I shot them well over 2 years ago and still haven't found time to process them, I won't mind a lengthier-than-normal turnaround time, but I will let you know how long it takes to get them back.

Any joy with yours yet, Peter?

(Sent from Tapatalk 2)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »
They came back yesterday so 10 days all together. A bit slower than in the past.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 05:09:14 PM »
Peter, good to hear you got them back eventually. 10 days is a bit long to wait when you're itching to see your prints. Let's keep track of how they do time wise in the future. I'm very keen for them to succeed and be around for years, but it has to start with good service. Ag seems to have a seal of approval from everyone who's used them on the supplies side of the business, but it's reasonably early days with the processing and I think they've been swamped with orders over the last few weeks.

BTW, we filmed there yesterday so if anyone's interested in a behind the scenes peek, it'll be in the next video podcast.

matt5791

• 35mm
    • Ag Photograghic
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 07:41:39 AM »
Hi all at Filmwasters. Great to meet all who dropped by on Wednesday, many thanks for coming by.

Basically, with the lab, our first consideration is quality, very closely followed by turnaround - of course turnaround does need to be as fast as possible because I do feel that if 1. Supplies of product are reliable and fast; and 2. lab turnaround is reliable, quality and fast.....people will use and shoot more film. But the results have to be right.

Since we took over Peter's lab we have massively increased the throughput of film - most of the film going through before was E6 35mm from a hardcore of customers who don't even own a computer. We have added a ton of C41 & B&W + more E6 too from a different customer base. We have done this with the launch of the new website (which took me weeks and hundreds of hours to build......) and by marketing to our existing customer database. The equipment we have can more than cope, but there have been times recently when I have considered putting on a night shift, or at least a shift up to 10pm or something, simply because of the volumes being received.

So there have been a few glitches in terms of getting emails out etc. and answering the phone. However I am confident this will settle down.

But, as I say, quality is the prime concern and the main reason for this is if someone is shooting film, chances are they are an enthusiast/professional/artist etc who have high expectations and need the best. Before launching the lab I heard of too many moans and complaints about other labs related to quality. Whilst we don't want to hear any complaints about us at all - If I have to hear one, I would much rather it was related to speed than quality.

But I am confident we will be able to offer both quality and speed - and infact do manage this most of the time at the moment.

What I do say is, if you have a deadline or need lab work completed as quickly as possible, please let us know on the back or your order because we can then make sure it's turned around immediately on receipt.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:44:22 AM by matt5791 »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 09:00:29 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to post Matt. And thanks once again for welcoming us in and showing us around.

I have to say that I was really impressed with the lab set up you have, and your plans for more expansion too. To see the other chap (Nick?) going through the slides he was scanning individually by hand really impressed me. The service is clearly not based on an automated in-out as fast as possible model, and that attention to detail might take a bit longer, but can only lead to a higher standard of output.

It was also good to hear about the amount of work you get from pro's using film still.
L.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »
I'm always happy to hear when there's a lot of people shooting and having their film developed :)
/jonas

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »
It's great to hear all that Matt! Thank you for taking the time to give that outline. 

Quality over speed is my preference too. If I even need a C41 doing speedily, I'll take it to one of the three places in town who still develop, and it is quick (an hour) but the results are ok to good, rather than the excellent I expect from professional labs. 

One of the places in town will be offering a b/w service from the summer, and I will support them, though I'm also working on my own skills too. To me it suggests the demand for film developing is still growing, hurrah!

I will try your developing service in time, and hope to pop over sometime to buy film in person rather that by post for a change :)

stevesegz

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »
Good to hear that Matt, I may even put some out of date velvia in the pinhole this weekend to give it a try. :D
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 09:43:38 PM »
Wahey.....!! Ag does E6 processing as well.  8)  I will have to check out their site and see what it'll cost to get my little lot sorted.

Really pleased that they're going from strength to strength as I've always been pleased with the film purchases I've made from them.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

David A-W

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »
Well, my films eventually arrived this week, so took a lot longer than I was expecting from their websites. I am however very pleased with the quality. I just went for develop and scan and the results are lovely. Re-assurred and will re-use.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
I agree with Leon, that going to Ag and seeing how much care and attention was spent on ensuring quality was what made me more than happy to hand over the 7 films I'd taken with me. I've not used a lab for at least 5 years and have been processing b/w and colour at home during that time, but if I'm going to give my stuff to anyone I want to feel confident that they give a sh*t and it's obvious that Matt and Nick really do.

Matt: Cheers for posting here....oh and BTW, where the hell are my negs?  ;) :D :D

Ag Photographic, Birmingham by Ed Wenn, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:54:21 PM by Ed Wenn »

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »
I've always had great service from Ag, but, it was great to see how they do it up there - we were in the north, right?

It was all about quality and for that, I am happy to wait. Thanks, Matt and Nick for a great tour.