Author Topic: Walking to work through an empty Birmingham  (Read 3066 times)

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Walking to work through an empty Birmingham
« on: March 02, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »
So this was actually my attempt for the recent collab -stranger in a strange land - I only got the film back today. Instead of wasting my efforts its here in a small essay...  a document of my walk to work through the centre of Birmingham - taken over 10 days (just to clarify -the walk only takes about 10 minutes as the crow flies...not 10 days)

Mid Feb, 6.15am in Birmingham is not the warmest place to stand around for 25 minutes - still I like it because only an hour or so later and it starts to fill up with people, cars, vans

back of new street by This-is-rice, on Flickr

Since they built the Mailbox, this previously undesirable underpass now how has coloured lights and attracts a better class of glue sniffer.

underpass2 by This-is-rice, on Flickr

Victoria square houses one of Birminghams best buildings.. The Central Library.  Its been called all sorts of things from a monstrosity to a horrible concrete box  - I'm a big fan though, it has character and its different from the bland modern buildings that have followed it.

victoria square by This-is-rice, on Flickr

Like an Architectural slap in the face - next up is the new Library - considering there is nothing wrong with the old one and given the state of the economy I thought £188mm was a bit toppy for a second library only 30 seconds walk from the existing one but what do I know.. I'm only a rational human being working far too many hours to pump my tax dollars into a second library. 

The new library by This-is-rice, on Flickr

Finally all good things must come to an end... I arrive at work just in time to clock in at 7am for a another fun filled 12 hour day mindlessly twatting my life up the wall.   On the plus side they do have a nice atrium.

office 2 by This-is-rice, on Flickr

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Re: Walking to work through an empty Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 07:09:16 PM »
Nice work, Damion. The beauty of you missing the cut is that we get to see the lot!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »
These are great. I love how they get lighter in sequence - like you took them all on the same walk to work.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »
Good series.
Somehow, I think it's probably nicer the other way around (Leave work, walk around the city before going to bed)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
RE: Walking to work through an empty Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
Im pretty pleased with how they turned out, except none of the expected people trails appeared..... I might continue it for a few more weeks
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
Damion, this is a great series; clean and a little bit haunting. It's just a shame your commentary was so serious. Lighten up dude.
 8) :D ;D

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:50:04 PM »
Finally all good things must come to an end... I arrive at work just in time to clock in at 7am for a another fun filled 12 hour day mindlessly twatting my life up the wall.   On the plus side they do have a nice atrium.

Possibly my quote of the year so far.....

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 06:16:06 PM »
Cheers Ed....

The Atrium has the effect of making me look like a newsreader when im on a video call.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:36:26 PM »
And here is today's skinhead news....

(Sent from Tapatalk 2)

astrobeck

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »
Not a too shabby walk to work you have there.

Most cities have a certain amount of atmospheric grime about them...this looks all shiny.

Enjoyed it!  :)

John

• JB Photography Galleries
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »
Impressive stuff Damion, nicely done. So hard to get the shadows and highlights right in this type of photography. First 2 shots are my favourites.